Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Wolf6151 Houston Texans 2014 mock draft #2, Trade Down.

Wolf6151

All Pro
In this draft I'm assuming that Case Keenum is our answer at QB for at least next year and the Texans are currently in the #5 draft spot. I trade down with Cleveland who moves up for a quality QB like Mariota, Hundley, or possibly even Manziel. Cleveland gets our #5 pick worth 1700 pts. on the Trade Value Chart, Houston gets the #12 pick worth 1200 pts., the #48 pick/2nd round worth 420 pts., and pick #110/4th round worth 74 pts. for a total of 1694 pts.. That makes it pretty even for both teams and a realistic possibility. I also added 1 compensatory pick in the 5th round. We were eligible for 4 comp. picks and only got 2 this year so I think one 5th rounder is realistic, hopefully it's even a conservative estimate.

1. Cameron Erving-OT, moving down here give us extra picks as well as better value on this pick. Big, strong, and athletic, I like the way this guy moves. Our 2014 O-line consists of :
Brown, Quessenberry, Myers, Brooks, Erving.

2. Christian Jones-OLB/ILB, we all know that we need ILB help desperately and if Wade doesn't want to move Reed inside then we need a talent upgrade opposite Cushing. Great size and speed, good athlete. Can play inside or outside offering versatility.

2b. Adrian Hubbard-OLB, great size and athleticism. Not the most explosive guy but i think an NFL level strength and conditioning program will add muscle, subtract weight, and make him faster. He's got long arms and good speed to handle pass coverage duties if necessary. Hubbard and Reed battle for the starting OLB spot and the other improves our LB corp. depth which is desperately needed. Our 2014 LB corp. consists of:
Mercilus, Cushing, Jones, and Hubbard/Reed.

3. A.J. McCarron-QB, is Alabama great because of McCarron or is he good because of all the talent around him? It's probably both. You don't run the #1 team in college football for the last 3 yrs. without being good. Insurance policy if Keenum fails in 2014, or high quality developmental backup, or high quality developmental trade commodity in the future. He doesn't wow me at anything but does everything well. Enough arm strength and mobility to get the job done (better than Schaub) and tons of experience.

4. Jaylen Watkins-CB, we need added CB talent and competition. Brandon Harris looked good in the last game but McCain needs competition. Good CB height/weight ratio with decent speed, willing hitter and tackler. Possible transition to Safety as well, and we need help there as well.

4b. Tre Boston-FS, Ed Reed is gone, and I'm not sure how well Manning comes back from injury next year. Swearinger is impressive but we need Safety help bad. Boston can play CB as well and also has good height/weight/speed ratio. Good college productivity as well. I like the idea of adding some height to our secondary to compete with tall receivers and TE's.

5. James Gayle-DE/OLB, to small for NFL DE so we move him to OLB where he provides size, quickness, speed, and athleticism as OLB depth giving him time to transition to the OLB position. Sam Montgomery was a bad pick and there's no telling what we've got in Trevardo Williams. Gayle is added LB corp. depth. Our LB corp. depth consists of:
Trevardo Williams, Gayle, Tuggle, and either Hubbard or Reed.

5b. Bruce Gaston-NT, 6'02" and 310lbs. great size for the position and good quickness. Offers D-line versatility with the ability to move Mitchell to DE in certain packages or works in rotation with Mitchell at NT. Gaston size also helps out on goal line or short yardage situations. His height also offers natural leverage ability.

6. Andrew Norwell-OG/OT, currently playing LG but has played LT and was depth at RT early in college. Added O-line depth. Good speed for a big O-lineman and fits what we look for on the O-line.

7. Roderick McDowell-RB, with Tate leaving and questions about Fosters return we'll need some added RB depth. Decent but not great speed, hits the hole well, and looks to me like he'd fit in our 1 cut and go system. Also used in Clemsons passing game.

I doubled up on the O-line that needs help, doubled up on the secondary that needs help, tripled up on the LB corp. that need starters and quality depth, added what I think is a quality insurance/developmental commodity at QB, added some D-line size and versatility, and added some RB depth.

Me gusta .... Mucho

I have Erving , Jones and Boston in my mock in rounds 1 , 2 and 4.

Getting McCarron in the 3rd is great value , if Case starts that's fine , if not McCarron is good enough right now to plug in and play.

The one question I have is does Christian Jones last to a top ~5 pick in the second round. You might have to package your high second and a 4th to move back into the bottom of the first round to get him.

I like this draft. Good job Wolf, as always.

The one question I have is does Christian Jones last to a top ~5 pick in the second round. You might have to package your high second and a 4th to move back into the bottom of the first round to get him.

That's a good question. He is extremely athletic and he's a big guy. I think he is going to run very well and wow some people at the combine. From what I saw when he was at ILB, he's very fluid with his hips. Watch for him in that drill at the combine, assuming he runs it. One thing that may hurt him is overall production from a statistical standpoint. The FSU backup defense is often playing for an entire half or the entire fourth quarter. So, guys like Joyner and Jones are going to finish the season with mild looking statistics. It may not matter when scouts start watching tape.

I like this draft. Good job Wolf, as always.

That's a good question. He is extremely athletic and he's a big guy. I think he is going to run very well and wow some people at the combine. From what I saw when he was at ILB, he's very fluid with his hips. Watch for him in that drill at the combine, assuming he runs it. One thing that may hurt him is overall production from a statistical standpoint. The FSU backup defense is often playing for an entire half or the entire fourth quarter. So, guys like Joyner and Jones are going to finish the season with mild looking statistics. It may not matter when scouts start watching tape.

Thus the reason I like him. A players size relative to their position does matter. A small player at ILB like Sharpton just doesn't make much sense to me when he has to take on OG's and FB's to get to the RB or has to drop into pass coverage. Mosely will go ahead of Jones and we pick very high in each round so I'm hoping Jones is available to us in the 2nd.

Back