Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Wolf6151 Final Mock....maybe.

Wolf6151

All Pro
1. Nick Perry-OLB, great size and speed for the position, can also play DE on downs when we line up in 4-3 formation. Mario's replacement.
2. Brandon Thompson-DT, good run stuffer with some athleticism/agility to pressure the QB at times, strong and holds up to the double teams well, rotates with Cody at NT, moves Mitchell to DE depth, and replaces Cody in 2013 when he becomes a salary cap casualty.

A great defense is what got us to the playoffs and I don't want to lose that after we waited so long to get it. These first 2 picks improve quality and depth at 3 positions, along with Demps, James, and Dobbins we maintain our elite defense while saving some money for next years group of FA. Thompson replaces Cody in 2013 when he's a salary cap casualty.

3. AJ Jenkins-WR, I really like this guy and he's moving up draft boards, great speed and hands with really good route running ability, he can play in the slot or outside. Good bye Jacoby.
4a. Marvin Jones-WR, great hands and routes, average/good speed and smooth athleticism, very good size for the position. Good bye Jacoby.

I go back to back with 2 very similar WR's. Neither is the biggest guy but have decent/good size, great hands, run great routes, and use their bodies to shield CB's. Either can play outside or in the slot and although Jenkins has elite speed, Jones has a very smooth athleticism and deceptive speed. Both make Jacoby expendable.

4b. Brandon Mosley-OT, good size, strength, and lateral agility, former TE will make Kubiak happy, currently a better run blocker than pass blocker but lots of potential, rotates with Butler at RT and replaces him in 2013 when Butler becomes a salary cap casualty.
5. Lucas Nix-OG, great size and agility for the position and played LT last season but will be an OG in the NFL, needs to add a little bulk but at 6'05" he's got the frame for adding it and it will come from an NFL level strength and conditioning program, needs to learn to bend at the knees and hips to anchor a little better but power and run blocking are what he's best at, should be good OG depth.

Reenforcements for the O-line. Both have flaws that should be easily fixed/coached and with a little experience should be good quality depth. I think Mosley has starter potential in 2013 when Butler is primed for being a salary cap casualty.

6. Randy Bullock-K, hopefully solidifies K for years to come.
7. Brandon Bolden-RB, new RB#3, we let Ward go and save some money, good size but average speed for the position, limited production his senior year due to injuries but good production his junior year, good hands and pass catching ability, should be good quality depth.

I don't think we draft an ILB since we just signed 2 in FA, and don't think we draft a Safety since we just re-signed Demps. Also Vance Joseph seems high on Demps with a regular off season and a years experience in the system. I also think we'll pick up a vet #3 QB once teams make their cuts at the end of training camp. I'm hoping it's Delhomme again since he looked good last year in limited play and since he played for us he wouldn't affect our 2013 compensatory picks.

I really like this mock.

But Perry probably wont be there at 26.

There's an outside chance that Jones is there in the 4th. If he is, regardless of the teams 1st 3 picks the Texans should take him. Jones represents great value in the 4th. IMHO

Not a big fan of first two picks for this team (Texans). Value wise they're fine, very good in fact but very hard for me to project , one @ OLB other NT......

Why do you have Jenkins ahead of Marvin Jones?

Like the pairing technique, once again OL which does hit the mark 4th/5th.

then special teams, depth @ RB.

more than anything shows your organized, categorization strong & understand team weaknesses.

Not a big fan of first two picks for this team (Texans). Value wise they're fine, very good in fact but very hard for me to project , one @ OLB other NT......

Why do you have Jenkins ahead of Marvin Jones?

Like the pairing technique, once again OL which does hit the mark 4th/5th.

then special teams, depth @ RB.

more than anything shows your organized, categorization strong & understand team weaknesses.

I think Perry has the speed and quickness to play the OLB very well and I like the size he brings to the position. One thing about Mario at OLB I really liked was the size he brought to the position, he wasn't going to get man handled by an OT or run over by a RB that decides to turn the play and cut it outside. I know Perry isn't the same size as Mario but I think Perry's size along with his speed and quickness bode well for him at OLB. I also really like Thompson for many of the same reasons, his size is great, brings more beef to the line than Cody. Thompson has great strength, handles the double teams well because he can get low and anchors well but also has the lateral agility to play the run and get pressure on the QB when needed.

Jenkins vs. Jones, I used Walters Consensus Rankings http://www.walterfootball.com/draft2012consensusWR.php that uses 4 of the best draft sources for an average of ranking players. I really like them both, very similar players, though Jenkins is faster. I think Jones could go in the 3rd but our 4a pick is very high in the 4th round.

The pairing wasn't intentional it just worked out that way. Defense getting the early but fewer picks and offense getting the mid and later round pick but more of them was intentional. Defense got us to the playoffs last season and I don't want to lose that by concentrating on offense only this year. I think the spread works well for both sides of the ball.

I like Bolden for his pass catching ability, Kubiak likes players that can do more than one thing well. He's not that fast but he runs with some power and he's a whole lot cheaper than Ward. The Texans are in the process of trying to save some money.

Back