Without Dunta...

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by Spike, Nov 5, 2007.

1. Spike

Spike Veteran

...what are our chances the rest of the season?

From everything I have read, I think we come back with our offense more healthy than we have seen it since week 2 - Schaub, Andre Johnson, and Green should be back. I think we found some additional potentional weapons while these guys have been out, so assuming the line can hold up, I feel pretty good about the offense going into this second half of the season.

The problem is, I don't know if it will matter with out Dunta on the field. The defense as a whole and the secondary in particular have not played well. I am excited about the potential of Bennett, but he will have growing pains. Faggins has been exposed and teams will continue to target him when he is on the field.

We have two weeks to prepare for the next game, so I am wondering what we can do from a player or scheme stand-point.

2. mridge01

mridge01 Veteran

I think this injury is going to set the franchise back more than we know. I have doubts that we can be ready for the beginning of next season, and know with an already depleted secondary that gives you yet another hole to fill. Also, if/when he is ready to come back, will he be the same? How does an NFL cover corner recover from that kind of injury? This one really hurts. This franchise just has all the bad breaks, literally and figuratively.

3. Twitch-Houston

Twitch-Houston Hall of Fame

I think Hutchins plays some CB and Demps gets some time at safety.

4. jaayteetx

jaayteetx Hall of Fame

Did everybody see what Drew Brees and the Saints did the the Jags D? And we have to face them without the heart of our Defense, could be brutal.

5. Ole Miss Texan

Ole Miss Texan Hall of Fame

Drew Brees threw for around 450 yards against Mathis, Nelson, etc.

Our secondary was suspect before. Now we lost arguably our Most Valuable Player. Some would argue its Demeco which is fair...but If you take away Dunta- Brees is going to not only target Faggins but he'll target Bennett...then he'll eat up our safeties.

We have 0 players in our secondary right now that would start for playoff contending teams. And we're facing one of the more prolific offenses in the nfl.

6. houstonhurricane

houstonhurricane All Pro

My predictions:

Saints - L
    Browns - L
    Titans - W
    Bucs - L
    Broncos - W
    Colts - L
    Jags - W

We end up at 7 -9. Not bad, considering all that we have been through.

7. PapaL

PapaL Loose Screw

Well it falls on the Offense to protect our suspect defense. We need to control the clock and keep moving the chains.

The D needs to step up and get pressure. Same issues we have always had. Hopefully one of our young guys steps up shows something.

8. Texan_Bill

Texan_Bill Subscribed Contributor

Without Dunta........................ we're one and done in the wildcard game this year.. ???

9. TigerV1

TigerV1 All Pro

While losing Dunta hurts, I am excited to see that we have an up-and-comer in Bennett. There is a bit of silver lining here folks. I don't think its as bad as we all think. It is bad, don't get me wrong, but we at least have someone who has a chance to shine and has a huge upside.

10. Marcus

Marcus Ruthless pragmatist

In the New Orleans game . .

We're going to get blown out. Brees will light us up, and Reggie Bush will pour salt on the wound.

Happy?

11. TexansSeminole

TexansSeminole Hall of Fame

Maybe that would be ok if we had to field only one CB at a time. But when you have to play 2, 3, or 4 CBs on the field at the same time it hurts bad.

12. TigerV1

TigerV1 All Pro

I understand, but with Robinson at #1 and Faggins at #2 we still only had one CB out there and now we have Bennett rising to take Dunta's spot. Yes, it sucks, but I don't see much of a change other than we lose an incredible veteran presence.

Bennett is no Robinson yet, but he is coming into his own. We will continue to have problems in the secondary, don't get me wrong, but I am just not ready to throw in the towel.

13. PapaL

PapaL Loose Screw

I know - we could play zone.

Oh wait... we suck worse while in zone coverage?

14. TexansSeminole

TexansSeminole Hall of Fame

Oh, I am never ready to throw in the towel. Unfortunately, CB was one of our weakest positions coming into the season and now without Dunta we are really in trouble. We were pretty bad in the secondary overall before. Now it's going to be tough. Faggins is our most experienced CB :gun:.

15. Specnatz

Specnatz Site Contributor

What wound? I have no wounds, well ok just the one from when I fell from the chandelier, but I am sure you were not referring to that.

16. NitroGSXR

NitroGSXR Super Sic #58

Let's just wait. Kubiak said that something would be happening via the trade/FA market. We'll be getting a cornerback very soon. I just hope that it's sooner than later so he has time to plan for the New Orleans game.

17. Htownsportsfan

Htownsportsfan All Pro

It sure would be nice to have some high draft picks playing on the D-line to create pressure on the QB to help make up for the loss in the secondary! Oh yeah thats right we have three #1's and a well paid FA in Weaver. If they dont step it up against Brees this could make the humiliation of the SD game look like a warm up!

18. PapaL

PapaL Loose Screw

Considering the trade deadline has passed - Are we signing Deon Sanders?

19. Texan_Bill

Texan_Bill Subscribed Contributor

Neon wasn't available, however, Lester Hayes and Daryl Green are available... :specnatz:

20. The1ApplePie

The1ApplePie Hall of Fame

If Reggie Bush is a bust, and Mario can't carry Reggie's jock, what does that make Mario?