With the 11th overall pick in the 2011 NFL draft, the Houston Texans Select..

Discussion in 'College Football & the NFL Draft' started by Yesterday, Jan 3, 2011.

1. Yesterday

Yesterday Veteran

Had we lost to the Jaguars, we would have had the 6th pick. But hope winning that meaningless game and increasing our chance at keeping Koobs was worth it for you "true fans".

Anyway, I personally am hoping and praying that either Prince or Peterson fall to us. However, wouldn't surprise me if the tandem that is Rick Smith and Koobs would pass on them for another failure of a defensive lineman!

If we can't get either of those guys, and if Cream Puff Phillips does come in as DC, I wouldn't mind selecting a 3-4 pass rushing OLB, allowing Cush and DeMeco to stay in coverage more (which they are better at, anyway). Maybe a Von Miller, I know the aggie fans wouldnt mind that one.

2. dsorc

dsorc Veteran

I would really like Von Miller as I think he'll be productive from day one. I do not want a CB in the first at all as the DBs are already too young. The other reasonable option besides rush LB is NT so I would not be surprised if we grabbed Stephen Paea.

3. TheCD

TheCD All Pro

I'm not a draft guru, so I don't know players specifically. But I do know that if one of the two big WR's falls to us I'm hoping we pick him up.

Essentially I'm looking for us to use 2-3 picks on offense (WR and OL, maybe a 3rd on another OL) and 4-5 picks on defense. The rounds in which they are picked do not matter to me so long as they are BPA.

This, however, is conditional on us being aggressive in FA. If we don't do that then this "only defense" problem McNair may use to keep Kubiak will not be fixed.

4. The1ApplePie

The1ApplePie Hall of Fame

If we go 3-4, Dareus or Von Miller are the only picks to make.

And no way does Dareus fall past the Cowboys

5. Yesterday

Yesterday Veteran

Texans would be stupid to pass on Peterson/Prince if they fell to us.

Paea needs to fatten up a bit but his strength is unbelievable. Don't think we will reach for him in the 1st round, he may be available in the 2nd though.

6. IDEXAN

IDEXAN Hall of Fame

It's very clear that our top pick probably will be either a defensive back or a DLineman, but that's conditional upon whether or not we continue with the 4-3 alignment or move to a 3-4 in the event that a 3-4 defensive coach like
    Wade Phillips takes over the D. And if that happens look for the Texans to trade Mario to add picks to what they already have to draft a NT, 3-4 edge rusher (OLB), and one or more DBacks to staff their new 3-4.

7. Señor Stan

Señor Stan El Guapo

8. Mr. White

Mr. White H-Town Beatdown

With the 11th overall pick in the 2011 NFL draft, the Houston Texans Select..

Another 1st round bust if they don't bring in someone that knows how to draft players.

9. bigbrewster2000

bigbrewster2000 4th Infantry

Why trade Mario if you go to a 3-4? He perfectly fits size/strength for a 3-4 end.

10. Ole Miss Texan

Ole Miss Texan Hall of Fame

Prince Amukara looks severely overrated to me. No way he's remotely close to Top 10. Patrick Peterson and AJ Green unfortunately will be far out of reach for us.

My early favorites at this point (in no particular order):

- WR Justin Blackmon, Oklahoma St.
    - OLB Von Miller, Texas A&M
    - DT/NT Stephen Paea, Oregon St.
    - DT/NT Nick Fairley, Auburn

Right now, I don't like any of the secondary prospects at #11 outside of Peterson. Prince does nothing for me to warrant this early, Jenkins/Harris don't excite me either. Gotta fill secondary with veteran FAs. CB Champ Bailey would be a HUGE addition. Need a FS to battle starting role with Troy Nolan. Veteran would be good as well as a S with ballskills from the draft for FS/SS.

I think with the 11th overall pick, we're looking at a Front 7 guy on defense or Blackmon (I like him better than Julio Jones).

nero THE zero likes this.
  11. Texan4Ever

Texan4Ever Hall of Fame

Either Justin Blackmon at WR or Brandon Harris at CB (Harris only if we trade down).

12. Yesterday

Yesterday Veteran

Disagree. You may think he's overrated b/c he doesn't make many big plays, INTs, etc. But that is because no one EVER passes to his guy. He shuts him down. He pretty much takes a very good WR out of the game.

13. Thorn

Thorn Dirty Old Man

Can we get another TE? :)

14. nero THE zero

nero THE zero Hall of Fame

Agreed. Other CB's who might be available are Jonathan Joseph and Terrance Newman.

You pretty much have to pick up one of these guys to be your number one.

15. STEEL BLUE TEXANS

STEEL BLUE TEXANS Hall of Fame

We have 4 options...

1. BPA from the Aggies
    2. BPA from Colorado St.
    3. TE preferably from Wisconsin
    4. Trade the pick for a player on the Broncos

16. Dutchrudder

Dutchrudder COOL BEANS!

Has Kubiak ever draft an Aggie? I can't recall any, just a couple Longhorns.

17. JB

JB Old Curmudgeon

Didn't Blackmon beat him up pretty badly? And I don't recall him looking special against Wash. in the bowl game.

18. pbat488

pbat488 gig 'em

we signed our old punter as udfa but can't recall us ever drafting an a&m player under this regime.

19. Dutchrudder

Dutchrudder COOL BEANS!

Yeah I remember him. He was only in training camp for 5 days. Kind of sad considering his production in college.

20. aussie_texan

aussie_texan Hall of Fame

I will base my offseason off us being a 3-4 team, because it seems quite clear we will move to such a scheme with the types of candidates people are throwing around.

Free Agency
    i would sign Champ Bailey and use him as a safety so that he can be on the field for leadership and quality and also still be able to teach our young corners and play at CB. Also if you believe the rumours pollard will no longer be with us next year.

I would also try to sign a WR, we all know that walter and jacoby are good but they're to inconsistent if we can get a 2nd threat alongside AJ our offence will be the best in the league. period!

If they did this in FA i would be extremely happy.

DRAFT
    There are a couple of ways we can go in the draft.

firstly trade down 4-5 spots and pick up another 2nd rounder.
    and with the pick around 15-16 the Houston texans pick ..... Von Miller.

By going to the 3-4 defence we get an extremely fast quick and dominate pass rusher.

Now we have 3 legitimate (legitimate i mean by starting or better nfl standard) 3-4 OLB in barwin cushing and von miller.

In the 2nd round we pick up Deunta Williams OR Rahim Moore at FS this gives us depth at Safety with bailey and he can also help them out.

With our 2nd pick in the 2nd round we select jerrell powe from ole miss, 6.2ft 320 pounds.
    Now we have the best NT in the draft and we have a big man who can dominate the line alongside williams and smith or whoever the new DC goes with.

Now if pollard goes in the 3rd round we pick another safety.
    if he doesnt i say we start picking the best players available at O-line, 3-4 DE/OLB and ILB and finally punter in the 7th round.

If we dont sign a WR in FA i think one of the options for us is to trade down in the draft to around 20-25 and pick up Michael Flloyd from Notre Dame.
    He is probably just as good as AJ green (green will on in the top 5) but because of injury troubles will go late in the draft.

and then the rest of the draft is as stated above.

DE/OLB in this draft is very deep and many can be found later. thats why i think picking flloyd in the 1st is not totally a bad idea even though we have massive problems on D.

Ole Miss Texan likes this.