With okam less is more

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by CloakNNNdagger, Aug 20, 2009.

1. CloakNNNdagger

CloakNNNdagger Site Contributor

Many have seen his potential. We may now be able to enjoy his production.

2. Thorn

Thorn Dirty Old Man

Okam calls Mario a freak of nature! LOL

3. Fox

Fox All Pro

Pretty excited by Okam's progress so far, hopefully he continues to show up in games and keeps turning up that motor.

4. TimeKiller

TimeKiller Guest

This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not
    Hard to say that weight loss is the key component of Okam's emergence. I'd say it was more due to playing like a big mean badass and not an even bigger softy mcsoftersons. Just kiddin'....but really, he looks like he dropped 50 pounds, not 20. I don't know about stronger, maybe everything just feels lighter haha....His impact was noticeable on several plays. He looks like a guy whose effort is catching up to his talent. I'd love to see where his progression goes next but I'll enjoy this first step for what it is.

Top 3? Mario, Okam....who?

5. TexansFanatic

TexansFanatic Extremist

If Smith and Kubiak continue to have the kinds of drafts they've been having, where they find a Frank Okam in the 5th round, there will be no stopping this team for years to come.

6. DiehardChris

DiehardChris You betcha!

It still bothers me that he showed up to OTAs grossly out of shape - but right now, he's showing improvement - and more than that, he's showing it ON THE FIELD. So I'm pretty excited.

7. Hooston Texan

Hooston Texan All Pro

Sometimes, a guy just needs a wake-up call. Getting his then-ample behind chewed at OTA's because of his weight may have been his. Hopefully, his weighty arrival at OTA's (or, more accurately, the way he responded afterwards) will go down as the turning point in his career. If he plays like he did Saturday between September 2009 and (hopefully) February 2010, no one will care what he was doing between January and May of 2009.

8. Wolf6151

Wolf6151 Hall of Fame

Hopefully he's not like most of us that once we lose weight we go back to our old diet and non-exercise program, hopefully he stays with it and continues to workout get stronger and lose another 10 lbs..

9. RipTraxx

RipTraxx Free Agent

Why the hell cant TJ get his wake up call?

10. Marcus

Marcus Ruthless pragmatist

He's gotten plenty of them. He just hits the snooze button and goes back to sleep.

TimeKiller likes this.
  11. nunusguy

nunusguy Hall of Fame

I dunno maybe he bombed his LSAT ?

12. Texecutioner

Texecutioner Hall of Fame

I've been hearing this stuff about Okam for like 3 straight years now. Wake me up when this huge improvement actually happens.

13. Insideop

Insideop Hall of Fame

I read this article on chron.com this morning. What bothers me about Okam is he seems to be one of those type of people/players who will have to stay on top of his weight/eating habits for the rest of his life. It will require a lot of discipline on his part and I'm not sure, at this point, if he has that or not. If he stays with it over the span of 2 or 3 years, especially during the off season, it could bode well for his health and career, not to mention the Texans D-line play. Time will tell. JMHO!

14. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

I think Brice McCain should walk up to Okam and slap him silly then run using his 4.33 speed to stay just out of Frank's reach. After about ten minutes, as Okam hangs his head panting, McCain slips up behind him and kicks him in the butt. A few days of this and the NT will be at 310lbs and hopefully as mad as hell. My concern with this is when game one whistle blows, Okam will turn from the LOS and bull rush the corner and body slam the little guy who is so shocked that Okam could move that quickly.

15. TimeKiller

TimeKiller Guest

This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not
    This is the beginning of his 2nd season. The huge improvement just happened last Saturday!! Did you see Okam? He was on fire at times. That's a huge improvement over being inactive for 80% of the year. We'll see if it was real or not if that kind of play continues but there's no denying that was a leap for Okam.

Nice!

16. The Pencil Neck

The Pencil Neck Subscribed Contributor

I figured he was going back to Okam's college days. He disappeared in his junior or senior year after looking dominant early iirc.

17. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

Like many college players going to NFL I think Frank figured he could just show up and place his large corpuscle in the main shipping lanes like a u-boat and be successful. Maybe he has come to realize it takes a wee bit more to kiss the Blarney Stone. If this guy actually becomes what many of us thought he could he could be as good or better than Raji. If so, this will be one of the better selections ever made by Texans. Shutting down the run would no longer be an issue.

18. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

I don't think I have ever seen "he could he could" in a sentence. I amaze me.

19. TexansFanatic

TexansFanatic Extremist

Frank went through a number of defensive coordinators at Texas. He was asked to perform different functions under each DC.

Frank's last year was under Duane Akina who failed as DC and was demoted back to secondary coach after that one year.

I think Big Frank will do great in Bush's scheme.

20. Dan B.

Dan B. Hall of Fame

Okam's stats by season:

[​IMG]

He didn't really disappear. He just failed to live up to the lofty expectations of the average Longhorn fan. I went to UT. I root for the Horns in every game, in every sport. That being said, there might not be a fan base I loathe more than UT fans. They either love a guy, or hate him. They decide early. And nothing ever changes their mind.