With Cutler taking over the Broncos..Plummer a Texan?

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by Second Honeymoon, Nov 27, 2006.

1. Second Honeymoon

Second Honeymoon Hall of Fame

Now that Cutler has been named the starting QB for the Broncos next week, the rumor mill could really build up some steam. Plummer can't be happy about it and would probably welcome a chance to reunite with Kubiak.

The prospect of Plummer as the starting Texans QB doesn't exactly make me bubble over with excitement but on some levels it does make perfect sense and could work out well for everyone involved (even including Lil' Davey)

Possible plan -
    Trade Carr to Bucs, Redskins, Browns, or Vikings
    Pickup Plummer
    Draft a project QB in the 3rd round or later

Plummer isn't Manning or Brady but he is far superior to Carr and would allow us to start competing immediately while we groom a long term successor in the wings.

Just an idea. Discuss.

Doug from The Woodlands

2. Wharton

Wharton Site Contributor

Not no, but HELL NOOOOOOOO.

profan likes this.
  3. Kaiser Toro

Kaiser Toro Native Mod

No Plummer. In fact nothing for the offense outside of O line and a late round QB in the draft. Make Kubiak earn his keep through development rather than acquisition. Invest everything else on Defense just to cover our butts in the event Kubiak cannot get this offense going.

4. CowboysTexansFan

CowboysTexansFan Veteran

I have to disagree with you that Plummer is "far superior to Carr". I think Carr is better than Plummer. I'd rather go with Sage as the starter than have Plummer.

As for trading Carr to another team, I'm not at all opposed to doing that if it'll improve our team. I don't, however, think Carr is the main problem. Aside from that boneheaded interception he threw yesterday, I thought Carr played a solid game.

Is he an All-Pro? No, but he's better than average, which I'm willing to accept for now because we are below average in so many other areas. I'm hoping Carr will continue to progress as Kubiak and Calhoun continue to coach him, and the organization continues to add better players.

5. El Tejano

El Tejano Hall of Fame

So are you saying this team doesn't need a running back. I think we do. I often wonder just how much better we would be if D. Davis played with us still.

6. Second Honeymoon

If Carr is better than average, than you may need to examine your expectations for what real NFL QBs can do to help their team win games. Just my opine.

As for Plummer, he is much better than Carr. Anyone not blinded with homer-itis knows that.

doug ftw

7. CowboysTexansFan

CowboysTexansFan Veteran

We definitely need a starting running back. We also need more depth on the offensive line. Depending on how well Spencer comes back and how much Winston develops this year, we may also need two starting caliber tackles.

8. Kaiser Toro

Kaiser Toro Native Mod

What I am saying is that we should no longer invest in the offensive skill positions, only the trenches. The quickest way for this team to get to .500 is through the defense as we wait for Carr's and AJ's contracts to sunset.

9. jerek

jerek Pro Hobbyist

I don't for one minute believe our front office is ready to demote let alone trade Carr. Though I could possibly conceive that Plummer be cut and pass to us through waivers.

I can't honestly believe you or anyone else would propose Plummer over Carr. I'd rather watch dink and dunk with absolutely no balls thrown downfield more than ten yards, than Plummer ball characterized primarily by wild throws and costly interceptions.

Though I'm not certain -- in such a scenario -- doesn't the trade deadline prohibit us trading Carr until season's end any way? Let alone the question of eating his bonus -- fat chance.

10. CowboysTexansFan

CowboysTexansFan Veteran

I'm not saying Carr is great, by any means. But based on my observation of other starting quarterbacks, I think he is better than the average NFL QB.

11. TexansLucky13

TexansLucky13 53d Signal Batt

Agreed.

David > "The Snake"

12. hollywood_texan

hollywood_texan Hall of Fame

I believe this is the last year of Plummer's contract, which should make him an unrestricted free agent.

I really don't like the idea of Plummer, but at the right price and if you can unload Carr somewhere and get some value, maybe so.

Would like to see how the deals would work out, but just getting Plummer because he is out there really isn't a good idea. You have to work it out the right way and the price has to be right.

13. jerek

jerek Pro Hobbyist

I don't even call Carr's performance better than average at this point. I think he's been mostly average at best this season, with occasional flashes of both good and bad, and my basis for keeping him is that (a) he has demonstrated stretches of sufficient improvement this season and (b) I don't think we'll find better any time soon without eating Carr's contract and picking up some $50M+ rookie with a bunch of the same question marks.

I question the judgment of anybody who doesn't agree that Plummer is a lot worse than average at this point in his career. I have seen several full Broncos games this season and Plummer consistently makes absolutely horrible reads and misplaces a lot of passes. Plummer in many respects has a superior supporting cast -- better OL and run game, much better defense, while the Texans have better WRs -- and despite that has amassed a substantially worse stat line (11 TDs/12 INTs/55.6%/1994 yards) vs Carr's (10 TDs/7 INTs/69.9%/2217 yards). Then again, "stats don't matter" and neither do evaluatory tools like game tape. It's hard to remember observing a guy who received this much criticism for being a family man or having his hair cut a certain way but since that's what 90% of his analysis boils down to around here, I guess I'm hoping for too much.

14. Texan_Bill

Texan_Bill Subscribed Contributor

First, why would you pick-up a project QB if Plummer would be your starter? You might pick-up a high draft choice as a QB and let him sit for a season or two to watch and learn while Plummer and the Texans continue to suck.

Second, I would strongly disagree that Plummer is far superior and would ask what you base that statement on?

15. Specnatz

Specnatz Site Contributor

Anyone who disagrees with you isblind by homerits? Sorry to burst your bubble but just because someone does not like Plummer and thinks he sucks is not being a blind homer. How do I know this?

Because the guy is not on the Texans roster. If you have an opinion of a guy not on the roster you cant be a blinf homer? That is not a hard concept to figure out.

16. Second Honeymoon

I am not saying that Plummer is going to take us to the Super Bowl but he is better than Carr (how anyone could think Carr is better than just about any NFL QB is beyond me...) and would allow us time to groom a true longterm replacement while allowing us to compete in the meantime. This would make it easier to attract free agents, stop this insepid culture of mediocrity, and keep morale high both in the locker room and the stands.

Plummer has won a lot of big games and gets punked by Brady and Manning so he doesnt make it to the Super Bowl. Losing to Brady and Manning isn't something that is exclusive to Plummer.

Blind Faith = Ignorance and Stupidity

Doug from The Woodlands

17. Texas_Thrill

Texas_Thrill Hall of Fame

If he's so far superior then why did he get benched for cutler? Even if your argument is he's far superior than carr to me that doesn't mean he's any more than average. I'm not trading for a guy that can't start on his own team. That makes no sense.

I too would rather go with rosenfels.

18. Honoring Earl 34

Honoring Earl 34 Hey Koolaid

If they go in a different direction at QB ... I do'nt want another retread . I've heard Kubiak likes Sage and he would get first shot while they find the heir apparent .

19. Second Honeymoon

We cant spend another 1st round pick on QB. We have too many needs on both lines and in the secondary. Based on Kubiak's track record we dont need to worry about early picks for RB.

In addition, I did'nt advocate picking up Plummer. I only asked to discuss it and stated that on some levels it makes sense while still not making me that excited about the prospects.

doug ftw

20. Texan_Bill

Texan_Bill Subscribed Contributor

I didn't necessarily want to spend another first pick on a QB, I just don't get your logic on getting a "project' QB that could hit or miss and in the meantime you have starting Plummer at QB?

Second, what are you basing your opinion of Plummer over Carr?