Winston guest-writes for MMQB

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by nero THE zero, Jun 28, 2010.

1. nero THE zero

nero THE zero Hall of Fame

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/eric_winston/06/27/mmqb/index.html

He discusses a number of things including playoff predictions, things the NFL should change, and Texans tidbits:
    Check it out, it's a really good read on a number of topics and a good perspective from the players' side of the CBA standstill.

Dutchrudder and TimeKiller like this.
  2. Dutchrudder

Dutchrudder COOL BEANS!

Good read, thanks for posting it!

3. sbalderrama

sbalderrama Rookie

Erik is way too articulate to be a lineman.

4. TimeKiller

TimeKiller Guest

This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not
    David Anderson: More valuable IN the locker room or OUT of it (like on the field)?

I'd like to see Holliday in person. Dude looks fast racing 9 dudes who are all clearly burners. Elite among the elite. Find a way to translate his natural gifts to a football field!!!

5. infantrycak

infantrycak Mod. Staff Member

OLmen have historically been viewed as the "smart football players."

6. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

From the Winston quotes:
    Normally, I don't mind when a fan says this. But I don't think a coach or player, or even a "reporter" should say something as asinine.

It wouldn't be good for 4th in the league, unless you kick out the first 3 games of everyone else's schedule.

Or kick out the worst 3 performances...

You have to do one or the other, if you're going to say "...good for 4th best in the league." Unless you're a casual fan on a message board, or a blog that provides "questionable" data.

JMO

7. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

From the Winston article:
    While I like the idea from a S.O.S. perspective, I don't know that it would be Texans-Cowboys. I'm all for it. But I'm sure there are other AFC teams that would like to take a bite out of the Cowboys.

Steelers... Kansas City.. Browns...

8. CloakNNNdagger

CloakNNNdagger Site Contributor

9. infantrycak

infantrycak Mod. Staff Member

It's far from asinine. Sure the rankings might change slightly but point out the other teams that had as exceptionally bad first three weeks as the Texans and then went on to perform very well. If you can't, your point has no merit.

10. Hardcore Texan

Hardcore Texan Magnet Man

Yes, I think he was talking about progression, getting better by both the players and the coaches. Hence the comment about Bush not having to start over from square one. Solid comment By Winston IMO.

11. nero THE zero

If the premise is that the Texans were a top 5 run stopper in 2009, then of course it's silly.

But, if the premise is that the Texans' defense was playing lights out after X point in the season, then the numbers speak for themselves.

The long play plagued the Texans' defense at the beginning of last season. The optimists noted that if the defense could cut down on the long plays it would be a good defense. There were a number of peripheral stats (i.e. TFL) that supported that idea. The pessimists countered by saying you can't ignore plays that happened.

Well, it turns out both were right. The early season defense was plagued by long plays. But, when the defense figured how to cut those plays out, and they did, they turned in the numbers Winston is citing, which is an indication of how you should expect the team to play over the course of the entire next season (which is his point).

Last edited: Jun 28, 2010
  12. dalemurphy

dalemurphy Hall of Fame

"Asinine" would be if Winston cherry-picked three or four really bad games from the schedule and then argued they were very good with those exceptions. That argument is different than saying that once Pollard hit the field, Cushing had a couple games under his belt, and Frank Bush got a feel for calling games the defense showed how good it can be and became proficient run stoppers.

I do agree with you about how silly some of those arguments can be. I always enjoy the expert analyst during football games that show the stat of the team's record when it runs the ball 30+ times... and act as if the key to winning is simply to hand off the ball 30 times, totally ignoring the reality that those stats exist because the team has a lead and pads the rushing carry stats while icing the ball in the 4th quarter. The analyst would lead you to believe that the coach should dial up more handoff when down 24-0.

13. CloakNNNdagger

CloakNNNdagger Site Contributor

14. nero THE zero

It was a combination of Cushing, Pollard, and a simplification in/familiarization with scheme.

The defense won't be as good without Cushing as it will be with, obviously. Should be interesting to see how much of a difference he makes.

15. TimeKiller

TimeKiller Guest

This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not
    Is the stat in question calculated as the Texans' last 13 games against the rest of the league's whole season? Or is it every team's last 13 games? I have a feeling it's the first and wonder how, if at all, that stat changes giving everyone the same 13 game time frame. Or better yet, take out the worst 3 performances of the whole season (because I think it's pretty clear that the worst 3 were the first 3) for every team and recompare numbers. I sense a project coming on....

16. JB

JB Old Curmudgeon

Take any 13 games for any team, and if the defense is holding the opposition to 87.6 yds per game, that is going to rank pretty high.

17. dalemurphy

dalemurphy Hall of Fame

That's silly! The point of the comparison exercise regarding the Texans' defense after week 3 is not to literally rank them versus each NFL team but simply to note their dramatic improvement and how they played over the last 3 months. It's quite possible that they would rank even higher if you dropped the entire NFL's first three games, since some of them surely had some of their better weeks over the early part of the season.

The reality is that this is a new season and a new team. All statistical analysis of the '09 season can really do is help identify areas of potential strengths and weaknesses. Based on the '09 performance, clearly there is reason for optimism regarding the rushing defense. That being said, if Indy and Washington have 150 yard rushing games against us in week one and two, I won't be claiming that we are a very good run defense based on games 4-16 of the previous season.

18. No More 8-8's

No More 8-8's Veteran

I also want to say, that he had an interview with SIRIUS BLITZ this afternoon too on NFL RADIO.

19. HoustonFrog

HoustonFrog Dallas Frog

Great work except he made a mistake..Kurt Warner started in the Arena League, not NFL Europe. So bad example for his minor league argument.

dc_txtech likes this.
  20. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

I have no doubt that our best 13 games vs anybody's best 13 games will be favorable to us. I have no problem, with anyone saying the Texans limited their opponent to 87.6 yards per game over the last 13.

I just think it is irresponsible for someone in the media to throw out that it would be good for 4th in the league.

If it were prefaced with "Over that same period... " or to say that it is "comparable..." maybe. But to just throw it out, as "good for fourth best in the league." I think it is irresponsible. Asinine might have been a little strong.

Bottom line, 87.6 yards/game over 13 weeks, is not good for 4th place in a 16 week season.

I understand what he means... I just think it is irresponsible the way he said it.