Williams first practice, "good job"

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by gtexan02, May 16, 2006.

1. gtexan02

gtexan02 Working?

Williams does 'good job' in first practice
    Associated Press

HOUSTON -- Mario Williams was headed to a meeting, then turned to see the throng of reporters that had followed him across the practice field.

It may have been the only moment all morning the No. 1 draft pick looked uncomfortable.

The defensive end fit in seamlessly with his new Houston Texans teammates Tuesday, going through about two hours of drills. It's a good sign considering the Texans will look for Williams to start immediately as they switch from a 3-4 defense to a 4-3 scheme.

The 6-foot-7, 292-pounder signed a six-year, $54 million contract, with $26.5 million guaranteed, the night before the draft.

There was no rookie hazing for Williams, just lots of encouragement and pointers from several veteran defensive linemen. Travis Johnson, Houston's first-round pick from last season, was among those helping out.

"They're taking me under their wings and just pushing me to get better," Williams said. "They're already big brothers to me. I feel very comfortable."

Tuesday was also Gary Kubiak's first practice as Texans coach. He has replaced Dom Capers, who was fired after Houston's 2-14 season.

"It's easy to sit in that meeting room and talk about, 'We're going to run the ball. We're going to do this or that,'" Kubiak said. "But you've got to start to do that on the field and have them start to believe in what you're doing."

The Texans chose Williams over Southern California running back Reggie Bush, looking to inject some life into a defense that was ranked 31st overall last season. He could finally give Houston a disruptive pass rusher.

"It's a new experience and I've got a lot to learn," Williams said. "It's a little quicker, but it's not like it's overwhelming or anything like that."

Kubiak was impressed.

"He stopped a lot of our plays," the coach said. "He did a good job. To hop in there day one with the starters and go -- that's a lot to ask. It looks like he did a fine job to me."

The Texans plan to line up Williams against a tight end, a task that might take some getting used to.

"I'm just going to the strong side," he said. "Whew. That strong side is exactly that -- you got the tight end with the tackle all the time. It's a little different there, but I'll be fine."

Williams knows a lot is expected of him.

"I feel like it's a team and I feel like the whole d-line has my back," he said. "I'm going to go out and I'm going to play as hard as I can for them. I feel like whatever happens it's as a unit. I don't feel like the one in the spotlight out there."

Williams, described as a cross between Lawrence Taylor and Julius Peppers, broke North Carolina State records for career tackles for a loss and sacks.

"I hope that maybe one day I can overwhelm people in the NFL the way I did in college," he said. "I've just got to work hard."

Sounds good!

2. Runner

Runner Hubcap Diamond Staff Member

That answers one question we've had.

3. Rightnow

Rightnow Veteran

Good stuff! Thanks for the info.

Go Mario! :mario:

4. Sportsfan

Sportsfan All Pro

I found this too:

Williams eats a foot long club sandwhich for lunch
    Associated Press

HOUSTON -- Mario Williams was headed to the dessert bar, then turned to see the throng of reporters that had followed him across the cafeteria.

It may have been the only moment all day the No. 1 draft pick looked uncomfortable as he was about to load up on a bowl of banana pudding.

The defensive end fit in seamlessly with his new Houston Texans teammates Tuesday, sitting through a 30 minute lunch eating a foot long club sandwhich.

The 6-foot-7, 292-pounder signed a six-year, $54 million contract, with $26.5 million guaranteed, the night before the draft.

There was no rookie hazing or for Williams, just lots of encouragement and pointers from several veteran defensive linemen on what the best sandwhich is at the Texans' facilities. Travis Johnson, Houston's first-round pick from last season, was among those recommending the club sandwhich.

:sarcasm:

5. TEXANS84

TEXANS84 Moderator Staff Member

Need a link to articles please.

6. Exascor

Exascor Hall of Fame

7. Errant Hothy

Errant Hothy Hypermediocrity

Ok, so my D-line knowledge is sorely lacking but is it usaully to line up your best pass rusher on the strong side?

Would he not be better suited to play the weakside, and only have to worry bout the tackle and maybe an RB?

8. Tailgate

Tailgate Fall of Hame

So whats the timeframe we should anticipate Mario really starting to take hold in the NFL?? I am sure we all are hoping that he gets a real quick start in this league. I know DE's typically take a year or two before they really start to produce (hopefully the case for TJ).

Peppers had 12 sacks his rookie year, and Freeny had 13.

So I guess I can go ahead and expect quite a bit out of Mario his first year?? That would be just fine with me!

9. kingh99

kingh99 Guest

Depends how they use him. I do not see him in the mold of Peppers or Freeney but rather Reggie White. This guy seems like a versatile LOAD. A stuffer and a bull as well as a speed rusher.

10. ensign_lee

ensign_lee Site Contributor

It would make a lot more sense to have Mario at LDE and Babin at RDE, with Weaver at DT than Mario at RDE and Weaver at LDE, with Babin not in the rotation. I think that's why the lineup is like this.

11. SAMURAITEXAN

SAMURAITEXAN Subscribed Contributor

Thanks for info. Man, I can't wait to see Mario on our D-line.

12. AtheGreat

AtheGreat Veteran

just wondering, this isn't a rookie mini-camp right? if not, is he going against starting OL or just 2nd and 3rd stringers guys?

13. aj.

aj. Hall of Fame

This OTA is non-mandatory but everyone is there since it's a new regime. There were 96 guys out there today. Mario lined up against the first team (Wand and a TE) a bunch.

14. MorKnolle

MorKnolle Hall of Fame

As of now it sounds like it is going to be Williams and Peek at DEs, Weaver and Payne at DTs for the majority of the time, although on short yardage or other running situations you can have Weaver and Mario at DEs and Payne and Robaire/TJ at DTs, and you could even have Mario and Weaver at DTs and Babin and Peek at DEs if they want as well.

Yes, the whole team was there so MArio was playing against the 1st team offense, from what I heard he was mainly at strongside end so he was going against Weigert and a TE most of the time.

15. Kaiser Toro

Kaiser Toro Native Mod

Glad your back, but please elaborate on it sounds like...

16. aj.

aj. Hall of Fame

He was RDE and against Wand and a TE most of the time.

17. MorKnolle

MorKnolle Hall of Fame

No, Mario was playing LDE (strongside DE) against the RT, which would be Zach Wiegert and the TE, Antwan Peek was playing RDE (also known as weakside DE) against Wand, trust me on this one, I have a reliable source.

18. aj.

aj. Hall of Fame

I was there and didn't see Mario against Wiegert. But it could have happened when I was watching other stuff. But when the nut cutting full team drills were going on near the end, Mario was RDE repeatedly against Wand.

19. powerfuldragon

powerfuldragon g'mornin to you

win.

20. AndreJ

AndreJ All Pro

I read that in the chronicle this morning as well, but if aj was there i mean what can you say?