Will the Texans EVER make a splash move?

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by Texan JBZ, Nov 3, 2010.

1. Texan JBZ

Texan JBZ Da Sip's Finest

There are a ton of things that aggravate me right now about our Texans. The shaky play of Matt Schaub. The disappearance of Kevin Walter and Joel Dressen. Not designing more plays for OD. Lack of playing time for guys like Steve Slaton, David Anderson, and James Casey. Kubiak's dimwitted play-calling. Mario's ineffectiveness. Pollards covering and tackling. Troy Nolan's benching. Bush's lack of aggressiveness. Waiving Jeremiah Johnson. And on, and on, and on...

Yet, in the wake of the hated Titans signing Randy Moss to go along with Kenny Britt, Chris Johnson, Bo Scaife, VY, and Nate Washington, it hit me that the Texans would have never even considered making a splash move like this. Vincent Jackson was there for the taking and the Texans brass never even considered it. Antonio Cromartie would look damn good in a Texans uniform right about now. Albert Haynesworth, Shawne Merrimen, etc. And just because these guys aren't what you consider role models, Bob McNair won't even consider them. It's maddening. Imagine an offense with Dre on one side and Vincent Jackson on the other, even its just for one year! This organization is too damn conservative and afraid to take any risks, unlike the Titans and Bills, and I'm about sick of it!

RTP2110 likes this.
  2. jaayteetx

jaayteetx Hall of Fame

I'm there with ya on most of those, but Randy Moss is a cancer who doesn't respect the game or his teammates. I wish nobody woulda claimed him.

3. Old School

Old School Site Contributor

Don't know why you are upset. WE did bring someone up from the practice squad!!:texflag:

4. Texan JBZ

Texan JBZ Da Sip's Finest

We're in agreement on Moss, but the gist of my agrument is that in the short-term he makes them a more lethal offense. It's a low-risk, high-reward move because they'll only have him for 9 games at best. I'm not saying I would want Moss as a Texan, but I wouldn't necessarily have been against it either. My problem is that the Texans FO wouldn't even have given such a move any consideration and a division rival who our 32nd ranked pass defense has to face twice would.

5. JB

JB Old Curmudgeon

And you know this how? Are you a member of the front office? Maybe you have an insider giving you this info?

I'm thinking you have no more clue than the rest of us. Yeah, and the Bills are doing great as a franchise, aren't they? :rolleyes:

6. VTexan

VTexan The Realist

When have the texans gone after a big time player? answer is never.

yes antonio smith was a nice name, but he hasn't been to any pro bowls and outside texans fans i don't know if anyone has even heard his name.

and don't say leigh bodden

7. Corrosion

Corrosion Idealist

I wish the Texans would have claimed him even if they had no intention of playing him , just keep him inactive ..... for nothing else other than to keep him away from a rival ...

8. JB

JB Old Curmudgeon

If you don't think the Smith signing was good, that's ok. But he was one of the top free agents available at the time. And your comment about no one knowing his name is ludicrous. But that is not the point I was making. How do you, or anyone not a part of the FO really know what they tried or didn't try? They may have had talks with a lot of people, but couldn't work it out. Or, maybe they haven't. Point is, we just don't know.

Or, maybe you take John McLame's word as gospel? :dontknowa

9. Goatcheese

Goatcheese Nightmare Over

This is a little off topic, but your first paragraph had me thinking. I'm concerned that so many of our players have taken such huge steps backward.

Schaub, Walter, D.Brown, Winston, Wilson, Pollard, Diles, Cushing, Quin, and maybe to a lesser extend OD, but I don't think that's on him as much as the regression of the O-line and resulting panicked look on Schaub's face.

Those players are what we were planning to build a championship on. They were the reason so many of us were excited about this team's future. Yet here we are 7 games in and the players you expect to take you to the promised land are playing the worst football of their career.

:choke:

I know a lot of fans are angry at Kubiak right now, and maybe they're right, but this team would be 7-0 right now if all of those guys were playing like they did last season.

As for your intended topic: No I don't think the Texans under Rick Smith will ever make a play for a big name player in their prime. He wants to be the guy who finds gems in unexpected places instead of just forking over the money to buy a flawless diamond. I think we need an experienced guy in the front office who knows not just how to evaluate talent, but how to acquire it and come out ahead in the negotiations.

Rick Smith is never going to be that guy and so I think we need to make a move.

10. infantrycak

infantrycak Mod. Staff Member

Yeah Bob McNair will never go against conventional wisdom.

Signed,

Mario Williams

11. DexmanC

DexmanC Hall of Fame

When they get a "leader of men" coach in here, then we'll see some
    real vets vying for an opportunity in Houston. Harbaugh had no
    problem in Baltimore, Ryan had no problem in New York, Dungy had
    no problem in Indy or Tampa, Belichick has no problem in New England.

We have a weak-ass coach, thus the character of the team isn't ready
    for a vet hungry to win like Moss.

J_R likes this.
  12. Runner

Runner Hubcap Diamond Staff Member

Wait until this time next season with another year of Kubes & Company coaching behind them. It won't be pretty.

13. Thorn

Thorn Dirty Old Man

The splashes the Texans have been making lately have been trying to stay afloat in the deep end of the pool.

14. Goatcheese

Goatcheese Nightmare Over

So you're saying they just need some floatees and everything will be cool?

[​IMG]

Unfortunately we're a few weeks late to pick some up.

15. fiasco west

fiasco west Hall of Fame

Bob is partly to blame but so is the coaching staff and GM.

If Rick and Gary would lobby for these players also, it might make Bob take the risk on on some of these guys. Rick and Gary seemed content with what they have though.

16. Texan_Bill

Texan_Bill Subscribed Contributor

I thought I was a pretty good free agent signing!

Signed,

Antonio Smith

17. JB

JB Old Curmudgeon

Au contraire, haven't you heard?

:rolleyes:

18. kiwitexansfan

kiwitexansfan Site Contributor

Stupid suggestion. Way pay him the remainder of this seasons salary to have him sit and do nothing.

If he had cleared waivers Minnesotta would of paid his salary, as it is the Titans will need to pay the man.

19. Texan_Bill

Texan_Bill Subscribed Contributor

Right!! :thumbup

20. buddyboy

buddyboy All Pro

I know people are upset with the HC. I am too.

But blaming FA signings solely on the HC rather than the GM or the owner is silly.