Will Steve Slaton ever pass....

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by El Tejano, Sep 26, 2011.

1. El Tejano

El Tejano Hall of Fame

the line of scrimmage?

Seriously I'm beginning to wonder. Handing off to him is a serious waste of a down. I can't believe that we had Ogbannaya who maybe wasn't averaging 4 ypc in the preseason but was averaging something and we refuse to even give him his due opportunity because Steve Slaton has the most effective fall at the LOS.

It's not his fault we lossed but I'm getting tired of SS just getting the handoff and falling down like Kareem Jackson.

2. mussop

mussop Hall of Fame

NO! Cut his ass now and use the roster spot for someone that deserves it.

3. gtexan02

gtexan02 Working?

Seriously?
    The guy had 4 carries.

4. Thorn

Thorn Dirty Old Man

Slaton is not what he used to be. That doesn't mean we have someone better than him to bring in. 4th string RBs that can actually do something worthwhile are not 4th string. If ya know what I mean.

5. Cjeremy635

Cjeremy635 Overtraining

I was surprised that they didn't try to use him more on screen passes when he was in the game. IIRC, that was his strong suit. SS could catch the ball in space and then pick up some decent YAC. I thought that's how we should have used him instead of him running straight into his blockers EVERY time. I know for a fact that he had a cut back lane and just completely missed it. Instead, he just flowed down the line of scrimmage until everything just collapsed on him. I wish he still had "IT", but apparently it's gone and "IT" isn't coming back. Whether that's confidence or something else, it's just not working for the guy anymore.

6. XI CMURDER IX

XI CMURDER IX Gig 'em

Meanwhile, on 4 carries earlier in the game Ben Tate had 20 yards.

7. False Start

False Start On # 69

I thought you were going to ask about a half back pass. Slaton has lost it, and I just dont think he will ever be the same he was that 1 year. :choke:

8. El Tejano

El Tejano Hall of Fame

When I saw him come in, I was thinking screen play all day. I mean that is how you handle a blitz right?

9. gtexan02

gtexan02 Working?

No he didn't. Tates first 4 carries were for a total of 15 yards, 11 of which came on one run. His other 3 totaled 4 yards

10. Rey

Rey Guest

Steve is more effective as a bulk carry guy...

Mainly because eventually a blind squirrel finds a nut. And that fits steve perfectly. Terrible vision.

11. TEXANS84

TEXANS84 Moderator Staff Member

Agreed. The Steve Slaton experiment has left the building.

Time to bring Chris O up, he proved himself in the preseason.

12. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

Slaton needs to get better coming off the bench. But, I bet he's got a confidence issue. If you see how they use him, putting him in the game against Miami, but then calling a time out so you can get Tate back in the game...

Getting him in the game needs to be a little more planned, & not just off the hip. If you don't think he can get the job done, regardless of the situation, you either need to put more thought into when & why you are putting him in there, or cut him.

I wonder what it's going to be like when Ward or Foster comes back in the game. I think the team(coach) is more confident with Ward, so he probably won't care too much about the situation.

But if Foster's in there, we probably won't see Tate or Ward until the game is well in hand, which the way we play defense may not happen too often.

But instead of looking at Slaton like a back up running back, he needs to be looked at as another option. Like the Saints did with Sproles. I'm not saying that Slaton is Sproles, only that he should be used in that fashion.

The Saints got 3 running backs involved in that game & two of the three were productive. This offense has been together long enough to be able to throw plays for Casey/Slaton in to loosen things up.

13. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

Kinda like Brooks Reed did right?

14. Corrosion

Corrosion Idealist

Good post -

They havent played to Slatons strong suit since in his most recent oppportunities (going back to last year).

Slatons a guy who needs to get outside to do his damage. Seems to me he wants to break every run for a big one instead of taking whats there on the cut back.
    Screens and runs outside the tackles is where Slaton made his mark before .... With Tate and Foster .... those two can make positive yards anywhere on the field.

15. HOU-TEX

HOU-TEX Ah, Football!

Dude's completely lost his vision. It's almost like a Junior High RB, where he's told to hit the hole that's called on the play. He hits the hole no matter if it's there or not. Ending with him running up the backs of the Oline.

16. Rey

Rey Guest

Slaton doesn't have the the vision or manuverability that Sproles has.

SS needs for the hole to be where he is running...He is not going to find the hole...Give it to him in volume though and he will bust some long ones eventually...

Only thing is, he is not good enough to get a bulk of the carries. He really isn't good enough to get any carries when everyone is healthy.

Personally, I think we should dump him and use the extra roster spot on someone else.

Joique Bell is a guy who I'd look at. I really like his game.

17. TexanSam

TexanSam Hall of Fame

What happened to him? He was really good his rookie season but hasn't played anywhere near that level since then.

18. Vinny

Vinny shiny happy fan Staff Member

he never really had great vision. If you give him a big hole he can explode through it, but if you ask him to find a crease like Foster or Tate....he just ain't in their league.

19. silvrhand

silvrhand Site Contributor

There are quite a few running backs that aren't the one cut and go, that would have never excelled in the zone blocking scheme.

I wonder how Barry Sanders would have done in the zone blocking scheme.. or better yet Bo Jackson.. I could easily see Bo Jackson + zone blocking scheme.. that would have been interesting to watch.

20. Marcus

Marcus Ruthless pragmatist

I can't figure out why Slaton wasn't cut, considering that he never played a down in preseason.

I don't care what Slaton did that one year. He's not the same. Maybe it's blitz protection that he's better at than Chris Ogbonnaya, I dunno.