Will Kubiak Last the Season?

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by AJ88, Jun 7, 2011.

1. AJ88

AJ88 Noob

Hey guys, new to this board. Actually just recently moved down to Houston (job) but have been interested in the Texans for a while and really trying to become a hardcore fan, maybe get to some games this year now that I'm not living 1,000 miles away.

Was reading this column this morning and I guess it's an obvious, recurring question, but it still made me think nonetheless. How much was Frank Bush's fault? How much was Kubiak's fault? Even if some of the Texans' issues haven't been Kubiak-related, would he be blamed regardless?

Guess I just think it's an interesting situation. Personally, I think his entire fate hinges on a combination of the 2011 draft class and improvement from the 2010 draft class (specifically, Kareem Jackson.) Column's pretty good, probably says it better than I'm able, but just honest opinions, will Kubiak last the season? Why/why not? And is it fair if he's axed?

rarazz00 likes this.
  2. gary

gary Hall of Fame

If Kubiak is to get axed it would be after the season if there is one. Welcome aboard I look forward to exchanging more ideas and opinions with you in the future.

3. Thorn

Thorn Dirty Old Man

Kubiak needs to go. One look at the Texans team since he took over is all the proof you need as to why.

What will probably happen is he will be here for one more full season, whenever that might be. And it's also possible Bum's boy saves Kubiak's job and he stays on longer. Like the weather, I wouldn't predict anything about the Texans with certainty.

4. beerlover

beerlover Site Contributor

last year it was premature to say Kubiak had to win to retain his job, even this year with the lock-out Bob could comp him his last season on his contract if he shows some signs of life, meaning at least 8-8. So yes, I think Kubiak will last the season regardless.

5. Double Barrel

Double Barrel Modified Simian

This is an interesting question that hasn't been pondered around these parts... :thinking: [/sarcasm]

Of course he will last the season (if there is one, obviously). Ol' Bob won't fire a head coach during a season. That much is quite obvious, and probably okay to even the most anti-Kubiak folks ('cept maybe Tex & Porky :winky:). If it's too traumatic to fire a head coach in the off-season for the owner, there is no doubt that he won't fire the coach during a season.

So the question really comes down to how bad would the team have to perform for McNair to let Kubiak go after the 2011 season. And, based on the lock-out situation as it impacts operations, as well as the hiring of a new DC that is implementing a new scheme, I'd say that the team would have to lose every game for McNair to make that call.

After all, the other owners said we are on the right track with Kubiak, so we just have to choo-choo along now!

6. silvrhand

silvrhand Site Contributor

Of course now we are going to see a Kubiak -> Phillips transition.. sigh.. Can we get a real coach for $100 Alex?

7. nero THE zero

nero THE zero Hall of Fame

I disagree. I think part of the reason Wade was brought in was his HC experience, which would alleviate any reticence Bob might have in changing coaches mid-season.

A lot depends on the lockout, but if we have a regular, 16 game season and start, say, 1-5, the pressure to change coaches would be immense, and with a seasoned coach on staff, I don't think it's unreasonable to think Bob would pull the trigger.

8. infantrycak

infantrycak Mod. Staff Member

I think it matters how they get to 1-5. If the offense is hanging 27 pts on folks and the D is still giving up last minute Jags, Jets type losses I don't see McNair blaming Kubiak.

9. HoustonFrog

HoustonFrog Dallas Frog

Being that I've wanted Kubiak gone for 2 years now, it pains me to say this but I can see him being here for many more years. This is how I see it playing out..and I think it is realistic. 1) Strike shortens part of the year. Texans miss early schedule woes and make the playoffs. I'm putting this under "even a blind squirrel finds a nut" scenario because I find him to be a terrible coach but at some point one brick in the wall will budge. 2) Kubiak retained because he finally gets over hump, albeit short season. 3) The next season Gary goes back to his losing ways but the one season got him traction with good ole Bob and thus the next hump is around the corner. It is very depressing but this is what keeps popping up in my head. I mean seriously, 5 years and the guy is still here. I still can't believe it.

10. Brisco_County

Brisco_County Texans worthy

Welcome to Texas and to Texans fandom.

If you aren't already aware, the factor that motivates us most is the desire for relevance. This is why we treat Monday Night Football games like it's the playoffs.

If the Texans offense remains potent in 2011 and doesn't regress, Kubiak will be around in 2012. The defense is all Wade's now.

11. eriadoc

eriadoc Texan-American

You know, we are all aware that OD is sometimes referred to as the weatherman because of his degree in meteorology. But I nominate Kubiak for the nickname. Because The Weatherman can be wrong over and over again, yet he still keeps his job and people still watch.

12. Double Barrel

Double Barrel Modified Simian

I understand where you are coming from, because I share a similar perspective. I honestly think Wade will be our next head coach.

However, that being said, infantrycak has a good counter argument where the situation would have to be 'just right' for Wade to become our next HC.

Like he mentioned, if the offense is putting up 27 and the D is still abysmal, Wade will not be the HC regardless of our record.

It would have to be a situation where Kubiak's decisions are the obvious reason(s) why the team is losing games, and even then it can often be a subjective situation to blame a coach. McNair has shown that he is more patient than 31 other owners, so we do not really know the depth of that patience at this point.

And I think there are two build in "excuse factors" if the team does not do well in 2011: the lock-out's effect on football operations, and the implementation of a new defensive scheme.

I still think that Wade is being groomed for the HC position, but I concede that this is based on a 'gut feeling' and my own opinions about this franchise's marketing decisions than it does any concrete evidence from the owner...because that evidence does not exist right now. McNair loves him some Kubiak, and I don't see a firing mid-season at all and I honestly see him as the HC for at least two more seasons. McNair could give a rat's ass about fan opinions as long as fans are selling out that stadium.

13. gary

gary Hall of Fame

Another coaching thread just to pass the time.

14. Marcus

Marcus Ruthless pragmatist

What season are you talking about?

2012?

15. TexanSam

TexanSam Hall of Fame

I think so. He may even have another season as HC after this one if there's a lockout. The Texans will struggle and McNair will blame it on all the missed time. He'll say the team just needs more time to gel and Kubiak deserves a full season in 2012.

16. gary

gary Hall of Fame

If this team fails again the fans are going to be too crazy for Bob to keep Gary or at least they should be.

17. DocBar

DocBar Hall of Fame

So I guess we could call Smith the Politician for the same reason?
    Welcome to Houston and to the Texans, AJ88.

18. nut

nut All Pro

If Kubiak wins 1/2 his games this year, he will be given another extension. Some things never change.

19. Wolf6151

Wolf6151 Hall of Fame

JMO, but I think Kubiak will be back for the final season of his contract (2013) regardless of how he does in the 2012 season. He'll only have 1 season after this one and McNair won't want to pay 2 head coaches.

20. Allstar

Allstar Bona fide

Only way he gets fired midseason is if we are just completely getting smashed. I'm talking like 0-7.