Will Easterby and Obrien go after talent now?

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by Mangler, Jun 14, 2019.

1. thunderkyss

thunderkyss MVP

Without Vrabel here to coach him you're probably right. Mercilus career got off to a rocky start, I don't know why. But when Vrabel got here, Mercilus' production took a sharp uptick. Then we drafted Clowney.

I don't think I'm disrespecting Clowney's skill set though. May be exaggerating Mercilus'

2. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

Protecting Watson will cost $$$$, so you know a trades not going to happen,

beerlover likes this.
  3. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

It could work but IMO we can get a better deal. As I posted some time ago the Duane Brown to Seattle deal should be the starting point
    Also if Williams comes here [see my recent post college/off season thread] I like Davenport and Howard rotating at LG and backing up LT. Adding Kalil even if healthy in any trade scenario is ok by me.

4. OptimisticTexan

OptimisticTexan Hall of Fame

I guess a better question might be, if the Texans are to make a serious SB run this season, would it be on the defensive prowess of Clowney or a low sack and healthy season for Watson?

5. TheKDog

TheKDog Hall of Fame

I don't see how they can win with the current OL. At least there's a chance the defense can be good without clowney.

steelbtexan likes this.
  6. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

Keeping Watson healthy is paramount to having a successful season. Without Watson you have nothing. This is why if as reported Trent Williams is available the Texans should spend the $$$ and get him.

OptimisticTexan likes this.
  7. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

Good point. I like Clowney but defense can be very good without him. Risk to Watson with Oline as today regardless of whom starts where is very high. Trent Williams not only locks down LT for perhaps another 5 seasons but allows other pieces to be moved to strengthen entire line. I think TW is higher priority but both can be done in separate deals.

8. Mangler

Mangler Hall of Fame

All this Trent Williams talks are cute and all, but he is NOT available as he’s under contract. “Trading” for him, ESPECIALLY draft picks, is not a good idea. Not with Bill O’Brien impersonating a GM with all his newly acquired power within the organization. I’ll take my chances via the draft and whatever FA we can try to pick up.

9. DocBar

DocBar Hall of Fame

I'd trade for Trent Williams in a heartbeat. Either Clowney straight up or a 2020 pick. He's better than any OL currently on the Texans roster or what's left in FA.
    Word on the street is that Willams has said he won't play for the Skins again, so he might be had for cheap.

10. thunderkyss

thunderkyss MVP

Wait for the 2020 draft or FA period. It's still BO'bs show.

He can make a lot worse mistakes than Trent Williams.

DocBar and OptimisticTexan like this.

11. Mangler

Mangler Hall of Fame

Sure, but it really ain’t up to him. Once they start penalizing him on a weekly basis, as I doubt there’s anything left in his contract (guaranteed) he’ll have no choice but to show up to work to get paid. And at the end of the day all of those it’s want the money/attention. He on the be able to stay way for long. Also, who knows what is contract reads? Whatever it is, im sure it’s not so simple. There are other teams that would have already snatched him up before us if it was as easy to just sign him as a few posters here are demanding.

12. thunderkyss

thunderkyss MVP

Not arguing, just pointing out he's got two years left on his current deal. The new team doesn't have to sign him to a new contract.

13. Mangler

Mangler Hall of Fame

Not arguing myself, I’m just making sense of this situation. I don’t see Butt Chin trading a player like Clowney, who’s very important for our defense, and especially NOT giving up draft picks knowing his ass may be riding on this season. History says he goes conservative and Watson has his best season yet, allowing Ass Jaw to stay or another go. 9-7 will keep him here since have no GM and OB just has so much on his plate...

Boo-effin-whoo!

14. DocBar

DocBar Hall of Fame

Nobody is saying it's up to him. We (me) are saying the Texans should reach out to Washington and do what they need to do to get Williams in Houston.

15. DocBar

DocBar Hall of Fame

FIFY :tiphat:

16. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

He and all NFL players are available for trades. It depends only if seller will accept buyer's offer. Draft picks in round two or later of 2020 for a pro-bowl LT is exactly the correct way to go. There are no LTs remaining and we will probably end up dumping one or two of the guys we have now. I like draft also but 2020 doesn't do anything for 2019 and that's only if draft falls so we can get great players. Just me, but I would go with a proven Trent Williams next two seasons {current contract} with ability to extend than any 2020 LT in draft.

CWTexansFan and DocBar like this.
  17. amazing80

amazing80 Site Contributor

If you trade for Williams you don't give up Clowney. It means you are serious about a Superb Owl push and you don't get rid of your best run defender. You find a way to get Trent without unloading Clowney.

beerlover likes this.
  18. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

Agree unless you get right deal for JD. Maxx Crosby next to Watt plus Trayvon Mullen and 2020 picks could do it.

19. DocBar

DocBar Hall of Fame

I'd give my 2020 2nd rounder for TW in a heartbeat. Just his presence would give the Texans a stupendous amount of flexibility on the other 4 OL positions. I'm still firmly in the "tag JD 2 years and let him walk" camp. I do not trust that knee at all, over the long term. I'm cool with signing JD to a 100 yr 5 billion dollar contract as long as guaranteed $$ is 35-40M over 2 yrs.

20. Texansballer74

Texansballer74 Hall of Fame

Since Williams is the hot topic around these parts, basically means that type of deal will never get done.

Mangler likes this.