Will center Chris Myers

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by badboy, Sep 8, 2010.

1. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

get a fair shake from fans or will he be doomed from the start? Many have their minds already made up, yet no one has beat him out since he was brought in for a 6th round pick. Does Gary know what he is doing by leaving this guy in charge of offensive line play calling? I think he will be better if the OGs remain healthy.

2. Ole Miss Texan

Ole Miss Texan Hall of Fame

I think you hit the nail on the head with your last sentence. I'm not near down on Myers as a lot of people on this board. If we can stay healthy on the OL, I think we'll do really well and we won't be hearing much of Myers' name.

3. Cush

Cush Site Contributor

Was he playing hurt last year? I heard that recently, but figured the folks here would know the real deal... I will give the guy a chance. Maybe a little less 'zone blocking' this year will lead to an improved performance from Mr. Myers and make this line as good at run blocking as it is at pass blocking. I know that I have liked what I've seen up front on both sides of the ball this year so far, but pre-season is over.

Its time to get pissed off and down to business.
    :pissed:

4. b0ng

b0ng Ooops

Well, so far I haven't seen anything from Meyers that made me think somebody could replace him right now so yah. We'll see how he does against Haynesworth (if he's still in D.C. week 2) and then Ratliff. I'm more worried about Duane Brown giving up a lot of sacks/pressures to Freeney, than Chris Meyers screwing it up.

5. rmartin65

rmartin65 I'm Score

I agree with what you have to say, badboy. That said, I still think OC could be a target in next years draft.

6. Rey

Rey Guest

I think any position that doesn't have a pro-bowl/pro-bowl caliber player could be a target in next years draft...

If there is a really good center sitting on the board when we have a pick, I would not be upset with that pick at all.

7. The Pencil Neck

The Pencil Neck Subscribed Contributor

Yes. That's what we heard. Can't remember exactly but I think it was an ankle sprain and maybe something else that bothered him all year.

8. infantrycak

infantrycak Semi-grand Poobah Staff Member

Nagging high ankle sprain.

I guess that is like having a 2nd wife. j/k

9. CloakNNNdagger

CloakNNNdagger Site Contributor

Edit: It was during a TC game.

Didn't he get carted off during a preseason game for that injury?

10. Kaiser Toro

Kaiser Toro Native Mod

I am torn between my lack of faith being in Myers or the system. There seems to be little doubt that Myers is a more than serviceable NFL Center given his time in and the apparent confidence that this coaching staff and player personnel has in him.

This fan's concern is playing against 3-4 defenses, and our C dealing with their NT. I probably should go back in look how we have performed against 3-4s, but I would bet we fare much better offensively against 4-3s (admittedly it may be more the rule through the NFL, than our exception).

We have a number of 3-4 defenses to face this year, and that Cowboys game, in my mind, will give us a view into the impact Dennison has had on the offensive line - Red Zone efficiency not withstanding. In my mind the offensive line success metric is not a number, but a mastery of "our offense" against a 3-4 defense, while something is on the line (unlike the Patriots game last year).

11. TheRealJoker

TheRealJoker Hall of Fame

He is an adequate starting center. Smart football player and can get moving in space to be a lead blocker for sweeps or screens. However, he doesn't hold up well at the POA, which is a weakness further magnified against monster 3-4 NTs. With better guards will he look like Nick Mangold? No, but his weaknesses will be minimized until we can find a better player to take his spot.

12. Norg

Norg Hall of Fame

myers is going agansit

Fat albert

Fat jenkins

prob freaking Natawa

who ever dallas gots which im sure is Fat

yaaa myers is so doomed ..

13. JB

JB Old Curmudgeon

Dude! You need to go home and start over!

14. TimeKiller

TimeKiller Guest

This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not
    His value is obviously how he handles the offense as the C. The mental stuff. It doesn't take a genius to see he's too small to handle the big guys and doesn't exactly dominate the non gigantors.

15. JB

JB Old Curmudgeon

Correct! His value is in his mental knowledge of the game, and his athleticism in getting to the next level. He can do his job, as long as everyone else does their job and don't worry about him.

We Will Dominate!!!

:fans:

16. edo783

edo783 Site Contributor

OK, admit it, you threw that J/K part in because Red might read the board.

17. Texan_Bill

Texan_Bill Subscribed Contributor

Whatever! It comes down to this: "What have you done for me lately?"

If the Texans run the ball well (as I am not worried about our passing game against any team), no one will hardly notice Myers.

18. TimeKiller

TimeKiller Guest

This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not
    Here's to perfect football. My last post wasn't exactly praise and as far as athleticism in pro football, big whoop. He still has to go for LBers knees because he can't take anyone by the shoulder pads and move them backward.

19. Wolf6151

Wolf6151 Hall of Fame

I like Chris Myers he's smart, calls good blocking assignments, fast, and athletic to get to the second level but if you can't handle the first level blocking assignment, the DT/NT, then it doesn't matter how fast you get to the second level cause you've either been pushed into the backfield or laying on the ground. Also he hasn't taken on the initiative to put on some muscle mass in the last few years when it's pretty obvious that bulk and strength are his weakness.

20. CloakNNNdagger

CloakNNNdagger Site Contributor

Wonder how much responsibility the staff would have to share in this, as opposed to Myers' limitations.