Will Bob McNair Kill The 2011 NFL Season?

Discussion in 'The National Football League' started by Double Barrel, Aug 9, 2010.

1. Double Barrel

Double Barrel Modified Simian

I did not see this posted anywhere (if it is, please point me in that direction and I will merge).

It would be a shame to kill the golden goose, and while it is admirable that Mr. McNair is going to bat for Cushing right now, let's not forget his primary reason for buying an NFL team: profit.

Hervoyel likes this.
  2. gtexan02

gtexan02 Working?

I dont know where I stand on this exactly, but I think 100% revenue sharing sounds like a ridiculous idea.

Edit: Maybe I should explain my position more.

The problem that I see with 100% revenue sharing is that seems to punish the teams in the best markets. Especially teams like Houston, which are still building an identity and fanbase. That extra money may be used to hire better coaches, give better contracts, improve our stadium, etc. All things necessary to building a reputation.

If we're going to have 100% revenue sharing, will it follow that the large market owners get to dictate how the smaller market teams run? If McNair doesnt like the way a team like Jacksonville or Buffalo is operating, those losses will end up costing him and everyone else profit.

Im not trying to say that revenue sharing in general is a bad idea, just that there seems like a middle ground somewhere in there that will allow big markets like Houston and Dallas to reap the benefits of their investments and marketing while also allowing the smaller markets to keep up.

I understand why revenue sharing is necessary to keeping small markets in business. Especially when you compare other teams to Dalls.

But to compare a team like the Packers (small market?) to a team like the Texans gets confusing. They have a huge advantage in terms of history, fanbase, etc. If we want to compete in the NFL, we're going to need some of the advantages that come from being in a successful market like Houston. It could help us build to the point that we can compete on other levels, besides just raw profit margins.

3. Hervoyel

Hervoyel The Right Track

I agree with you (DB). This is one of those areas where I just don't understand why McNair can't see that he bought into a league that was incredibly strong due to the very same revenue system that he now wants to start taking apart. The minute they kill their system of revenue sharing they start down the path of MLB (albeit with what has almost become a token salary cap system in place).

The "big market" owners are just wrong here.

4. Hervoyel

Hervoyel The Right Track

I think this is a situation where 100% revenue sharing is imperative and critical to the quality of the product. Without at least "significant" revenue sharing it becomes a choice between having a strong league of teams or a league with a few strong teams.

gtexan02 likes this.
  5. Cjeremy635

Cjeremy635 Overtraining

I'm going to be honest here and admit that I don't fully understand the pros and cons of revenue sharing, but I get what the point is and why it is done. Taking what I've read into consideration......I don't think I agree with it. I think that teams should be able to stand on their own. You are supported by your fan base and that support will grow depending on how well you play in the season. Sure small market teams will struggle, but maybe that's the problem with putting a team in a small market area when there are limited numbers of teams. Having said that, I may feel differently if we weren't in the 4th largest city in the nation with a fairly large market. But, from where I stand, I think teams should be able to spend what they want to on their players with the revenue that they make. If you can't support your teams, then your teams leave.

6. Double Barrel

I agree with Herv completely. The NFL's success is directly tied to the ideas of revenue sharing as pioneered by Pete Rozelle and Lamar Hunt. There is absolutely no argument to be made otherwise about the history of it. The NFL and NFL Films celebrate this fact all the time.

7. JB

JB Old Curmudgeon

Totally agree that revenue sharing is a must. All national tv contracts and merchandise sell should be shared equally by all teams at the least. If not, the teams like Jacksonville, Buffalo and others are going to be sold and/or moved every few years.

8. Texan_Bill

Texan_Bill Subscribed Contributor

I agree with television revenues being disbursed equally but not individual team generated revenue. Why should bad teams and their fans be rewarded for bad behavior (i.e. poor attendance) *cough* Jaclsonville *cough*??

Let's say Reliant sells 70,000 seats and Jax. sells 50,000 seats. Why should the Texans cut their revenues on ticket sales / food / drink etc...?

9. JB

JB Old Curmudgeon

No, tickets sales and parking and stadium generated revenue should not be shared.

10. Dutchrudder

Dutchrudder King of the Potato People

So what is the current revenue sharing in the NFL? Is it a percentage of revenue by team? What type(s) of revenue is shared?

How does revenue sharing effect the NFL's competitiveness versus having a salary cap? How would it effect the NFL if they had both?

- It's my understanding that the salary cap is meant to even the playing field so that large market teams can't outspend small market teams regardless. In that case, I don't see how revenue sharing would change the competitiveness of the league unless small market teams don't generate enough money to hire a payroll that meets the salary cap each year.

11. eriadoc

eriadoc Texan-American

So you think that those who do things the right way would feel punished or slighted by having to pay for those who just take and take and take?

12. WWJD

WWJD Hall of Fame

I'm not sure what the solution is but I do think they will have to implement some sort of rookie salary cap.

13. Double Barrel

Here's a primer on it:

The NFL has had both in place for years, and IMO, it has served the league very well. I think ALL fans should feel that their team has a fighting chance before every new season, which is the exact opposite that MLB fans feel every year.

Dutchrudder and Mari-OWNED! like this.
  14. ubecool454

ubecool454 Hall of Fame

I could be wrong and I hope that I am but maybe the NFL owners already know that there will be no 2011 season due to the country marching to a big war. It seems like the country is marching to war again...probably before the end of this year. Hopefully I'm wrong.

15. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

Go ahead and kill the golden goose.

Looks like no football in 2011, I guess being the 10 richest franchise in all of sports isn't enough. GREED.........

Thanks uncle BoB

16. FirstTexansFan

FirstTexansFan The Unknown Fan

So basically the board is split along the lines of for and against free enterprise... who let you guys out of the NSZ? :)

Kulluminatii and SheTexan like this.
  17. drs23

drs23 Veteran

No more VIP Suite so back to the recliner
    Yeah! What FTF said ;^)

18. gtexan02

gtexan02 Working?

I see what you did there.

I said 100% revenue sharing. Some revenue sharing is obviously required to keep the small market teams in play

19. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

But here's the part that is so hard for the players, and quite frankly most fair-minded fans, to swallow: If the owners' claims are true and they need the givebacks to stay healthy, why not give the players as much information as you have to get that done? Based on all the information available to us, all 32 owners appear to be getting very rich off the NFL, and "Joe Fan" continues to pay more and more to line their pockets.

Link http://www.profootballweekly.com/2010/01/31/looming-cba-issues-cloud-nfls-future

A very long but good read imo. The problem I have with small markets is some do nothing to help themselves. For years the Buffalo owner refused to sell name rights for his stadium. Hopefully both owners and players realize they might be allowing something good to get away.

20. Double Barrel

The NFL is not "free enterprise". As soon as owners and the league start paying to build their own stadiums and quit public financing, then we can talk free enterprise. :shades:

Good article, man. Thanks for posting it. And very good point about the plight of some small market teams. It is all to be considered when analyzing the big picture.

Unfortunately, Joe Fan is the one that will end up losing in the end, with the potential of a missed season and rising prices on everything.