Wilbon - Texans' Mario Williams: anything but a mistake

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by IDEXAN, Sep 17, 2010.

1. IDEXAN

IDEXAN Hall of Fame

Whatever Williams hasn't become yet, it's obvious that anybody who thought he was a bad pick or the wrong pick relative to Bush, was wrong. Houston has its pass rusher and a pretty darned good quarterback in Matt Schaub, who threw for more than 4,000 yards last season. And if Williams can have four to six more games the remainder of this season like he had last week, the Texans likely will not only hold their own against the Colts but also get into position to make the playoffs for the first time ever.
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/09/16/AR2010091604760.html
    &&
    Wilbon seems to be saying a repeat of the 2006 Draft looks like this to him: VY, Mario,
    Bush. Anyway, he writes for the Redskins hometown paper and we're playing them this week so, FWIW ?

2. Hookem Horns

Hookem Horns That Server Guy Staff Member

LOL, I was reading the Comments section on that article and someone posted this ...

Whaaaa??

3. Section516

Section516 Warrior

The power of the internets can be enthralling. :thinking:

4. Texan_Bill

Texan_Bill Subscribed Contributor

:thinking: :thud:

5. BigBull17

BigBull17 Hall of Fame

VY first...? Seriously...? Where is the threw up in my mouth smiley...?

6. Ole Miss Texan

Ole Miss Texan Hall of Fame

Wow, that's one of the most inaccurate and idiotic things I've ever heard. If someone were to tell me they thought the earth was flat I'd almost still think they were more intelligent than this guy!

7. nero THE zero

nero THE zero Hall of Fame

All it'd take is one time listening to Timmy B slobber, err... interview Casserly to come away with that impression. It is honestly disgusting to sit there and listen to his rubbish.

Brando literally sat there and on multiple occasions within a one segment interview consoled Casserly on the fact that Casserly was criticized for drafting Mario by all Houstonians, and is disliked in Houston to this day for that reason.

It's amazing how twisted the truth can become.

8. Hookem Horns

Hookem Horns That Server Guy Staff Member

Ha, someone just replied to that guy. Good going if it were one of you ...

9. JCTexan

JCTexan Hall of Fame

The only person still on the team before the 2006 off-season is Andre Johnson. I have a hard time giving Casserly any credit for the 2006 draft because it turned out way better than the rest of the drafts while he was GM.

10. El Tejano

El Tejano Hall of Fame

And if you notice, Casserly never takes credit for Demeco Ryans, Eric Winston, Owen Daniels, Zac Diles or even David Anderson (damn that draft was good!)

11. gtexan02

gtexan02 Working?

I didn't realize Casserly posted on the ESPN boards!

12. Hervoyel

Hervoyel The Right Track

VY first?

[​IMG]

13. Dutchrudder

Dutchrudder King of the Potato People

THat quote is almost awful enough to warrant a neg rep for you...

Almost...

14. Maddict5

Maddict5 Hall of Fame

*diles was in the amobi, schaub .5, jacoby class of 07 which looks better & better (bar bennett) every yr (still nothing like 06 though)

15. Texans_Chick

Texans_Chick Utopian Dreamer

Actually, Kubiak has given public credit to Casserly regarding the Owen Daniels pick.

The current staff is ego-less enough that they let people think what they want about that draft.

But yeah, the revisionist talk about Casserly is a joke. I also think it is a joke to suggest that everybody at the draft party boo'd Mario. This is what I wrote at the time: compare and contrast the pictures-

Texans Under Pressure: Mario Williams or David Carr

(with apologies for the formatting--when it first ran, the formatting looked right).

16. GuerillaBlack

GuerillaBlack Hall of Fame

Remember when people were saying at the draft party that this is like Portland passing on MJ for Sam Bowie? Well, a lot of people forget that the Rockets picked Hakeem with the first pick that year. Mario will become the Hakeem of the NFL. Defensive force. :D

17. houstonspartan

houstonspartan Hall of Fame

Casserly picked OD? Damn. I didn't know that. Owen Daniels seems like a Kubiak-type of pick.

I'm really shocked that Casserly hasn't rented a plane to announce that he choose Owen, since the guy has emerged as a superstar before his injury. Casserly's ego is big enough that he would surely want full credit for that pick.

18. houstonspartan

houstonspartan Hall of Fame

Wait. Call me ignorant, but I didn't know all of those guys came out of that same draft class. Damn!

Ok, that means that, if those guys were drafted then, then they should be hitting their prime right...about....NOW.

Wow. I literally just got goosebumps. No joke.

19. IDEXAN

IDEXAN Hall of Fame

That was very thoughtful of you TC and of course it's true. I've read Kubiaks commets over the years in various places where he was reported to have specifically credited Casserly, who everybody in Houston continues to enjoy to vilify, as the one most responsible for the decision to draft OD.
    Now whether or not he deserves any more credit for that highly successful 2006 Draft, who knows ? Lot of times a GM and HC automatically share most of the credit (or blame) for a Draft, but that's probably really dumbing it down.

20. Scooter

Scooter Funky

i have a hard time giving casserly credit for any of the picks, despite what kubiak might say. just look at the players taken in 06 and how similar they are to several future picks made without casserly. just a year or two after mario, smith drafts another underaged super potential defensive lineman in okoye. our linebackers are all extremely similar player types to ryans - cushing would be the oddity if any as more of a bigger line of scrimmage OLB. capers never got bookends, kubiak shows up and both LT and RT are knocked out in one draft. and daniels is the multi-position receiving tightend that we've drafted almost every season under kubiak (hill being the exception).

new coach came in and drafted his future leaders (and got his quarterback the next season) ... anchors at DE, MLB, and both OT positions. as for daniels - does that sound like a casserly pick or one made a former qb and coach who leaned on shannon sharpe? no, i'm not giving any credit to casserly for the 2006 draft.