Why Was Cowboys Stadium Exempt From Blackouts?

Discussion in 'The National Football League' started by Double Barrel, Feb 3, 2011.

1. Double Barrel

Double Barrel Modified Simian

Read the comments for full effect.. The proletariat is disenfranchised. It does beg the question why the stadium doesn't use (or have?) backup power generators in times like this.

2. GuerillaBlack

GuerillaBlack Hall of Fame

Pretty understandable why the Cowboys Stadium didn't have to deal with blackouts.

3. MojoMan

MojoMan Hall of Fame

Football Uber Alles.

4. Double Barrel

Double Barrel Modified Simian

To be honest, I wasn't surprised that it was granted continuous power for a lot of reasons.

I just found the story interesting as a football fan and I can also understand why many local residents are not too happy about it. Seeing power for a 60 yard wide tv over basic heat for residents during a blizzard does seem like misplaced priorities.

I still don't get why the stadium doesn't have it's own backup power source, especially considering the price tag for that thing.

5. infantrycak

infantrycak Mod. Staff Member

Seems kind of logical to me. The expense would be huge and let's face it, it is a non-essential facility that only gets used a few times a year (unless you made it part of a plan for some sort of emergency contingency). Heck that might be a reason they didn't put generators in - so it doesn't get used and abused in an emergency.

6. Ole Miss Texan

Ole Miss Texan Hall of Fame

Some PR stunt? If that's how they want to look at it so be it but there is no telling how many millions and millions of dollars this week and little PR stunt is bringing to the city of Dallas.

Completely understandable to me not to shut the power off to the stadium. Not using the giant jumbotron until the actual superbowl I can understand but getting worked up over keeping the power on at the stadium doesn't make too much sense to me.

It sucks peoples power is out at their home, I do feel bad for them. But if this happened at Reliant and we were having the Super Bowl, then it wouldn't bother me... even if my power was out. Probably a bunch of people who don't like organized sports or the traffic anyways. The City is receiving so much income from this though, just put up and shut up.

7. Texan_Bill

Texan_Bill Subscribed Contributor

I remember when Reliant lost power, *cough FILO cough*!

[​IMG]

They had to finish the game under back-up generators/power.

I just feel fortunate here at my office, that we are on the same grid as the Firehouse nearby.

8. Joe Texan

Joe Texan Inducted 04

Balloones rolled through houston one year, and one got snagged on a truck near Filos tailgate is how I heard it

9. TEXANRED

TEXANRED Texan-American

That money was used to build the biggest TV screen ever.

10. Stemp

Stemp Brew Master

My office is on the same grid as Wal-Mart and Sams. We didn't lose power once!

11. TimeKiller

TimeKiller Guest

This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not
    .....or anywhere with money. I live near river oaks....never even a blip on the power. Was in the heart of the woodlands too, they didn't even know WHY there were statewide rolling power breaks. I know this is hard to swallow for some folks but that makes it no less true, people with money are taken care of first. Same for when IKE blew through, my power (and all the rich anuses living around me) was on the next day. Took two weeks to get it back on around Airline (where I work) is.

12. eriadoc

eriadoc Texan-American

In the immortal words of Mel Brooks, "It's good to be the king."

13. FirstTexansFan

FirstTexansFan The Unknown Fan

History of the World Part 1 :) I'd rep ya, but you know the rules! :(

14. JB

JB Old Curmudgeon

I'm still waiting for Part II

15. ArlingtonTexan

ArlingtonTexan Moderator Staff Member

The two most cited reasons here are

1) Homeland security issues.
    2) That the power surge of repowering would use more energy than it saved (btw, I heard this is true in other high usage areas).

FWIW, this stadium is used at least twice as much as Reliant. Jerry is keeping that place busy. Anyway from what I understand, the backup generation is just to keep normally essential items on versus everything.

Just to Note: I stay about 5 to 6 miles from the Stadium and did not get a rolling balckout on yesterday. Obviously, today is still in limbo.

16. GuerillaBlack

Or maybe the freezes weren't as bad in Houston? I live in DFW, and the really rich neighborhoods in the areas I live near got their power cut off like everyone else. Maybe the people in The Woodlands were using less power or something?

Yeah, Bob McNair needs to work on getting more events hosted in Houston. He does a poor job there also.

17. The1ApplePie

The1ApplePie Hall of Fame

Considering most major artists won't play Toyota Center because of deals with Ticketmaster, you would think Reliant would make a play

18. gary

gary Hall of Fame

When you think about how much money this game is going to bring in for the city during these times you'll know why the lights were not turned off.

19. GuerillaBlack

It's hardly bringing in anything to Arlington. The City of Arlington foot the bill for the stadium, while Dallas gets all the publicity for having the stadium, even though it isn't even in Dallas. The Arlington Mayor is actually mad about it. He and the city leaders thought the stadium would bring in a lot of investment into Arlington. Instead, nothing has changed, except a few businesses closed when they were building the stadium and reconstructing I-30 near the stadium.

20. gary

gary Hall of Fame

Dallas gets the pub because it is well known which is unlucky.