Why The Cowboys Will Lose to the Texans

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by CloakNNNdagger, Sep 24, 2010.

1. CloakNNNdagger

CloakNNNdagger Site Contributor

This is a remarkably insightful in-depth piece by a Cowboys writer (SportsDayDFW sports).

Cjeremy635 likes this.
  2. JB

JB Old Curmudgeon

Great Read CnD Thanks!

MSR

3. TexansBlood

TexansBlood The CUSH!

If they blitz us they will pay!

4. Goatcheese

Goatcheese Nightmare Over

I hope they don't blitz us with Brown out. I'd like for Schaub to be healthy 5 weeks from now.

5. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

They will blitz and be fools if they did not. Both teams need to find out early of Butler can keep heat off Schaub. As Duane Brown knows it only takes one play to make you look real bad. The difference is this season we have a power back for Schaub to dump to. Foster can also catch. Look for TEs and quick passes to relieve the pressure. It will be up to Matt to see he doesn't get hit often. Hope he remembers to throw it away rather than eat it and maybe suffer a TO or being knocked from game. I really hope we do not have to find out how Orslovksy & Leinart are progressing.

6. infantrycak

infantrycak Mod. Staff Member

Schaub is very good against the blitz but credit also needs to go to the OL and particularly the RBs as well. This shows why Kubiak has such an emphasis on RBs blocking well.

7. gtexan02

gtexan02 Working?

Interesting comments frm an ESPN article I read:

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page...0921_tuesday_morning_quarterback&sportCat=nfl

Ole Miss Texan likes this.
  8. BigBull17

BigBull17 Hall of Fame

Yep, RB blocking is very important. I would honestly put Leech back there nest to Schaub in the gun. Dare you to approach the pepsi machine.

9. Goldensilence

Goldensilence hipster elite

Washington still got the Schaub 5 times. For the life of me the OL couldn't seem to figure out Landry on the safety blitz.

Good news is that it took bringing in a safety to get to him.

Also saw Schaub take some hits and get back up, note to rest of league, this isn't the ol "glass" Matt we saw a few seasons ago. This guy is tough.

10. Corrosion

Corrosion Idealist

The Skins defensive scheme in the second half was as bad as their first half offensive scheme was good .... I get the idea that it was overcompensation for their inability to run the ball and eat up clock.

11. BigBull17

BigBull17 Hall of Fame

We completely underused the screen game. Slaton should have gotten some touches.

12. Number19

Number19 Hall of Fame

I agree - this is one of the best analysis I have ever read.

Something I have noticed by the TV commentators in the two previous games - and again here by writer Bob Sturm - is the recognition being given to Vonta Leach :

I don't think there is any doubt that he is building a national reputation.

13. Ya, #### the Terminator!!

14. drs23

drs23 Veteran

No more VIP Suite so back to the recliner
    Thanks CnD for the read. Really enjoyed it. Couple of great reads in the hyper-links as well.

I MSR also

15. bo orlando

bo orlando Veteran

these stats about blitzing are a bit misleading. two of the major goals of blitzing are to force the quarterback and o-line into mistakes and turnovers, and to wear down the quarterback and o-line over the course of the game. i'm sure there's not a d-coordinator in the league who wouldn't trade giving up a few plays for one big interception or sack/fumble, or knocking the opposing quarterback out of the game altogether. obviousl, you have to decide what a favorable trade-off would be for you, meaning how big the plays you're allowing compared to the rewards you're getting, but to just cite an increase in yards-per-play on certain blitzes kind-of misses the point.

16. Shaft75

Shaft75 Site Contributor

I think they're just explaining how it may be foolish to blitz the Texans offense. And that we came back on their blitz happy asses. Yes, you're right about maybe giving up big plays, but timing is everything. Limit your blitzes to the right time and it could win you a game.

Blitzing your guys 50% in the second half is probably a little too much.

17. JWarren14

JWarren14 Beer Me

Is this the guy that covers the cowboys for the Dallas Morning News, or is it just a fan blogger who writes for the paper.

If it's the guy who actually covers the cowboys then Big John needs to take some notes.

Well written.

18. infantrycak

infantrycak Mod. Staff Member

Really they are not misleading nor do they miss the point. The author is not reflecting generally on blitzing he is specifically addressing an individual QB's performance. All QB's face those situations - Schaub and Manning are very good at overcoming them and making the D pay for the gamble.

19. CloakNNNdagger

CloakNNNdagger Site Contributor

Bob Sturm is host of BaD Radio on The Ticket 1310 AM Mondays through Fridays at 12-3 p.m. He also hosts The Ticket's Cowboys pregame show.

20. papashango

papashango Rookie

Yea Bob is a Packer fan. Not really a homer Packer fan. He's a realist. So in regards to the Cowboys you won't really see or hear him speak as a fan or as a hater. Just simply a spectator which makes for a good read IMO.

CloakNNNdagger likes this.