Why not be agressive in free agency?

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by cptnbreakdance, Jan 27, 2007.

1. cptnbreakdance

cptnbreakdance Veteran

If the Texans want to start gaining respect around the league, they really should be aggressive in their pursuit of the top of the line free agents this year... we are very comfortably under the cap from what I remember. Getting Asante Samuel & Lance Briggs to bolster this defense would make it just scary...

I have a very strong feeling Peterson will be picked by the Browns and we will end up going w/ Reggie Nelson (that is of course if he doesn't just blow people away at the combine and rocket up the boards) Thinking about all those people added to the defense, along with the hiring of Frank Bush, makes me feel sorry for opposing offenses in the years to come.

2. Dunta_23

Dunta_23 All Pro

We are fairly comfortable under the cap from what Ive read....approx 12 Mil....but Samuel is the # 1 CB on the FA market....most likely asking for a contract in the 50+ Million Range and Briggs is arguable the #1 FA Linebacker on the market and will look for top dollar for his position...Then youve gotta factor in paying for the rookies, re-signing players and adding other FA's at lower level contracts....

Im not against going after either of those guys but to go after both isnt very realistic to me...Although like you said....That Line up would scare offenses

......................Weaver........Maddox......TJ......Williams

..................Briggs................Ryans................Greenwood

..........D-Rob.............................................................Samuel
    ...............................Nelson......................Earl

3. gtexan02

gtexan02 Working?

We cannot be aggressive in Free Agency because of the following reasons:

#1) We do not have a lot of cap room
    #2) Other teams have a TON of cap room
    #3) We need to save cap room because we are picking high in the draft, again
    #4) We have a lot of dead cap
    #5) FAs do not want to play on a losing team unless they are primarily looking for a huge contract
    #6) FAs have seen other good players come here and struggle
    #7) Briggs will surely be heavily pursued by the Bears to resign

4. the wonger need food

the wonger need food Hall of Fame

We're not in good shape at all compared to other teams...

Cap money available

1. San Francisco $42.1M

2. Buffalo $39.7M

3. Arizona $36.7M

4. Tennessee $36M

5. Cleveland $33.3M

6. Minnesota $32.4M

7. (tie)Jacksonville $32M

7. St. Louis $32M

9. New England $30.4M

10. Cincinnati $30.2M

11. New Orleans $29.9M

12. Green Bay $29.5M

13. New York Jets $26.1M

14. San Diego $24.6M

15. Tampa Bay $24.2M

16. Detroit $23.8M

17. Chicago $23.4M

18. Seattle $22.5M

19. Dallas $21.5M

20. Miami $17.8M

21. New York Giants $15.7M

22. Oakland $14.1M

23. Houston $13.3M

24. Atlanta $10M

25. Philadelphia $12.4M

26. Denver $7.6M

27. Kansas City $7M

28. Baltimore $5.7M

29. Indianapolis $4.9M

30. Carolina $3.4M

31. Washington $951,000

32. Pittsburgh $150,000

http://www.sptimes.com/2007/01/26/Bucs/For_Bucs__it_s_buyer_.shtml

5. cptnbreakdance

cptnbreakdance Veteran

Oh ok... thanks for posting the cap #rs Wonger... I see what you mean... but in reality, I wouldn't care in the least if 'ole Bob just went for it regardless of cap space... I would look at it like an investment... we have to get rid of the bad contracts we have for mediocre players (thanks Charlie), So why not bite the bullet, take the cap hit from signing these people, let the talent (or lack thereof) that Charlie and Dom left behind fade away, and at the same time put together a core group of players that actually would help us win ballgames. Short term... it would hurt right now.... but in the long run it would only make us better.

I just really think that it is in the best interest of the franchise to try and build a winner as fast as possible... and I see our Defense as only being three very attainable pieces (#2 Corner, OLB, FS) away from being very dominant.

6. ATX

ATX Hall of Fame

How is our cap space so low, when our team has sucked for 5 years in a row? I know the obvious answer, but who's really hurting us the most?

7. dirty steve

dirty steve Hall of Fame

it might be that dead money we are paying guys like gary walker, todd wade, and robaire smith. ugh...

8. aj.

aj. Hall of Fame

Why not be aggressive in free agency?

Because we can't.

Walker, Wade, and Smith's dead money is a big reason.

But so is this 'live' money:

Carr, David $7,256,720
    Payne, Seth $5,331,720
    Greenwood, Morlon $4,670,720
    Davis, Domanick $4,646,720
    Wiegert, Zach $4,081,720

The Texans have a new cap wizard in the house (Chris Olsen) and he has his work cut out for him.

Let's just hope we've seen the end (or at least a drastic reduction) of the stupid contracts and wasted draft picks.

TheOgre likes this.

9. edo783

edo783 Site Contributor

Those aren't the highest cap hits we have are they?

10. gtexan02

gtexan02 Working?

I think those are the highest cap hits when you count it as value:

Salary/Performance = value

11. aj.

aj. Hall of Fame

They are among the highest. AJ's is the only one higher than Carr, and Weaver is also in that group. I cherry picked some that had value implications as the poster above me picked up on...

12. Bubbajwp

Bubbajwp All Flopper

Thats 14 million sitting on IR every year.

13. Insideop

Insideop Hall of Fame

Wow! Over half of the players you mention here probably will not be back playing with the Texans this year.

Wiegert with his age and injuries is probably done. Same with Payne, although I heard him talking on 610 last week about rehabing and coming back. Personally I don't see it and give him less that a 50/50 chance. DD/DW, I'm not counting on him ever making it back either, but he could play in a 2 or 3 back rotation for awhile. I just wouldn't count on him. How many people think Carr will be playing here this year? I just hope if they do trade him they can get some kinda relief on his contract. I think the Texans still have to pay any bonus money due don't they?

That leaves only Greenwood that will still be playing here this year that we know of for sure. Most of the rest may or may not play at all. I don't know if I would call that "live" money! lol: JMHO!

14. aj.

aj. Hall of Fame

I called it live money since the players are still on the roster.

Wiegert's is one of the more troubling in that group. He's an expensive cut if he can't make it back - around 6 mill to account for. DD Williams and Payne have about 4 mill each to account for if cut. Can't take all those hits this year - they will have to be spread some of it into '08 if that's the route they take. Then there's Carr...

15. Sportsfan

Sportsfan All Pro

Thanks for posting this. EVERYONE on here needs to read and comprehend this, especially the first 4. Its not realistic the Texans are going to pick up ANY of the top free agents like Samuels, Briggs, etc., so get that out of your heads.

16. HJam72

HJam72 Hall of Fame

But, but....we're still gonna get P. Manning or T. Brady, right? :um:

17. dat_boy_yec

dat_boy_yec All Pro

I disagree. I think we have enough money to be aggressive about getting one big name free agent and maybe some role players or a variety of role players.

If we could land Clements and Redding and that's it I think we did a good job in FA. However I'm sure we'll bring in some good talent. It's true we're in a bit of limited cap space, but considering alot of that money is coming off the books next yr. I'm sure we can work around it successfully.

18. Hottoddie

Hottoddie Hall of Fame

Anyone know what the cap implications would be, if we just outright cut these players? If I understand correctly, by cutting them after the July 1 date, we can spread their bonus's over 2 years, rather than just 1.

HPF did an article about Carr, in which they indicated that cutting him would net us ~$5.25 million in cap relief this year. But, that wouldn't occur until July 1. Of course, we'd have to get a replacement QB. Now, if the Texans planned on taking a QB in the draft (Kolb?) & grooming him behind Sage, I could live with that.

I guess my question is, if we cut all 5 of those players, how much extra cap space would that give us, both before & after July 1st?

http://www.houstonprofootball.com./cap2007.html

By using HPF's numbers & assuming that we could spread all of their signing bonuses over a 2 year period, I came up with these savings.

Carr: $5.25 million
    Payne: $3.20 million
    Greenwood: $2.56 million
    DD/DW: $2.686 million
    Wiegert: $918K

For an approximate total savings of $14.614 million off the 2007 salary cap. By adding that to the existing cap space of ~$14.42 million (according to HPF), the Texans could have ~$29 million in available cap space this year. That would definitely put us in the Asante Samuel chase.

I know that this is probably not right, but if it is, could the Texans spend the anticipated cap space prior to the July 1st date, knowing that they'll drop back below the NFL mandated cap? Help me pull my head out, cap gurus.

19. gtexan02

gtexan02 Working?

What you guys don't seem to get is that, yes, technically we could "save" money by cutting these guys, we still have to sign NEW players to fill their places, and so its not really a saving at all

20. TwinSisters

TwinSisters Hall of Fame

This is a bunch of crap.

What? Did we win a Super Bowl or something when I wasn't looking?

1-8 is the bottom of the barrel... and then look, it's us and Oakland. 5 years into the league and we are sitting next to a team managed by an old senile senior citizen, that in all likelyhood prances around his house stark naked with nothing on but a cape and a helmet.

I say screw the cap. You know, just forget about it all together. What's going to happen to us? Surrender a few #1 picks that we cannot afford anyway? Fine with me.

Hell, we might get lucky and the league decides to punish us by taking away all of our first round picks... that's not too bad of an idea really.