Why no RFAs extended offer sheet?

Discussion in 'The National Football League' started by CloakNNNdagger, Apr 6, 2012.

1. CloakNNNdagger

CloakNNNdagger Site Contributor

42 restricted free agents, no offers sheets

2. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

I think the players were allowed to run wild by owners as both sides were pig at the trough. Then owners like McNair got point across to other owners that belt tightening was good for owners. Result, new CBA + things like this. Collusion? Probably but players association should for once keep mouth shut. A player like Wallace isn't worth #26 in a WR starved roster? lol.

It is about the contract that go with the picks. The players are for the most part not worth the money regardless of how the contract is spread. It is a scantily veiled attempt to keep cash in owners pocket. Fans are willing to spend owners' money to get a super Bowl but I think most owners are not so eager to push chips to center of table. As someone else pointed out on another thread, players turned down a higher percentage of profits & then had to settle for less. Union officials boo boo'd big on that. Be a new election if I were the players.

3. CloakNNNdagger

CloakNNNdagger Site Contributor

DeMaurice Smith was recently re-elected NFL Players Association chief executive without opposition. Smith got a second three-year term.:vincepalm:

4. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

maybe better for nfl in long run.

5. infantrycak

infantrycak Mod. Staff Member

Devil is in the details. They got a smaller percentage of a larger pot (not everything was included in the salary cap calculation - now more is included) and got a floor installed.

6. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

Maybe you can explain it to me as I just don't understand how the amount that NFL uses to determine the cap (minus the same $ one billion under old CBA) will keep going up but the cap will only rise moderately?

7. infantrycak

infantrycak Mod. Staff Member

I haven't heard the details but it sounds just like a free agent deal. You can go from $6 mil one year to $14 mil the next or graduate it up a mil per year. This time the new TV deal is graduated. Over time it will pay a lot more money but is going to ramp up instead of jump up.

8. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

So for example the first 3-4 years are small increases but last are overwhelmingly huge? If yes, how is that helpful to the owners?