Why L.A. Still Does not Have an NFL Team

Discussion in 'The National Football League' started by Wolf, Jan 26, 2008.

1. Wolf

Wolf 100% Texan

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/7593-NFL-Why_L_A_Still_Does_not_Have_an_NFL_Team

threetoedpete likes this.
  2. threetoedpete

threetoedpete Hall of Fame

The other point is that there are several different factions tring to land that plump. With the Death of the Rams owner this week, that will bring in the conversation again. The other thing is that the L.A. market is very indifferent about wanting a team.

While we're on the subject of morgues....does anyone know exactly who holds the 65 million dollars worth of bonds on the Astro Dome ? The terms Astro Dome and bonds brings the term junk into a new propective. Just curious who is holding those dogs and how would you look up something like that ?

3. TexansLucky13

TexansLucky13 53d Signal Batt

The great city of Houston is paying for the Astrodome bonds. That means that John Q. Houstonian (such as most of us) is paying for it.

4. threetoedpete

Nope. the citzens of the county haven't made a note on the principal in a while.

http://www.hchsa.org/downloads/1201334786.50073700_edc0d5c34a/project_agreement_02.pdf
    found this.

But who is actually holding the insturments...the bonds, waiting to be paid off ?
    As I understnd it, the voters approved the sale of them to anyone who would buy them in the open market ? And as my Grandfther H.W. predictied...they weren't worth the paper they were printed on.

I mean technically we're in defult on the bonds.
    Check out 17.1

5. threetoedpete

6. threetoedpete

http://www.cbcny.org/lettersandmemos/stadium990421main.html

7. Wolf

Wolf 100% Texan

8. HoustonFrog

HoustonFrog Chitown Frog

I'll answer without reading...apathy. Big market but who cares?They didn't care when they were there and when is the last time a person from LA has clamored for football. The NFL does well without them.

9. Texan_Bill

Texan_Bill Subscribed Contributor

My understanding is that Harris County (or the HCSA),is paying the debt, but to whom, I have no idea. Same with Reliant. Thus the Astrodome's project of record name was "the Harris County Stadium Project" and Reliants was "the New Harris County Stadium Project", respectively.

Also, how is $65 m. owed today when the original bond amounts came in at about $33 m. back 1964 /1965???

10. Second Honeymoon

Second Honeymoon Hall of Fame

TB, with the avatar change should we just call you Rocket Bill now? no more pompoms :(

as for LA getting a team, they should get a team and I say Jacksonville makes the most sense. Their fanbase just can't cut it. Great owner and good franchise but they really dont have any business having a team. Same with Nashville. LA would be in the AFC South with us or you could swap LA with KC....I just dont think the Hunt family will be down with that. If there was one thing Lamar didn't want to do it was change divisions.

11. Texan_Bill

It's only for Texans84's benefit... He loves his Jazz fingers errrrr Jazz. I'll switch back in a day or so.....

I have heard some of my buddies from SoCal say they like not having a team because of the television rights and such. They tend to get the better games each week rather than being sucked in by some regional rules..

12. Goldensilence

Goldensilence hipster elite

Spot on. LA as a whole is more in love with USC and the Lakers then to manage caring about an NFL franchise and i'm willing to be they're just waiting for a chance to have the Dodgers to be good again.

LA could've cobbled together SOMETHING, ANYTHING including renovations to the Coliseum until they finalized something better to play in when the NFL was wanting a new expnasion team. Kudos to Bob McNair getting together such an insanely attractive plan that the NFL had to say yes when LA was given EVERY oppurtunity to get a franchise back there.

13. Overalls

Overalls Hall of Fame

I am at work now so I can't provide the link but the reason more is owed on the Dome now than the amout to have it built is because Dud Adams held us hostage for renovations when he threatened to move the Oilers to Jacksonville. That is when the famous scoreboard was ripped out for more seats. Basically we are still paying for a failed attempt to keep the Tennessee Turncoat from becoming the Jacksonville Jacka$$.

14. Pantherstang84

Pantherstang84 @rolisrgti06

Excellent point. If LA had shown any interest whatsoever in getting another team, then there would be no Houston Texans. The NFL was looking for any excuse to give the franchise to LA instead of Houston.

15. Texan_Bill

D'OH!!! Thats right... I should have known better... Thats when we lost the 'pinball machine'...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Must be Monday :gun:

16. Texan_Bill

Veiw from Judge Hofheinz apartment's game room in the 'Ol Girl....

[​IMG]

17. powerfuldragon

powerfuldragon g'mornin to you

la team would have so much locker room drama.

18. GuerillaBlack

GuerillaBlack Hall of Fame

Well, if the HLS&R as well as the Texans (Bob McNair) stop messing with the Astrodome Redevelopment Committee, no one will be paying for it anymore. They want to redevelop it into a Gaylord Texan-type hotel/convention center.

Here is a photo:
    [​IMG]

19. Yankee_In_TX

Yankee_In_TX Dance Lindsay!

Sadly, baring some miracle parking garage design and traffic re-routing, I don't see the Texans allowing the Astrodome to re-develop.

20. aj.

aj. Hall of Fame

One of the main reasons is there's no public money available in CA for this kind of stuff. Same reason SF and OAK still play in their respective crap holes opposite the Bay.

The 65mill was the cost floated by the Harris Co. taxpayers for the late 80's upgrade. There was still a line item in the County budget for that debt as recently as last year.