Why is Vick so overrated?

Discussion in 'The National Football League' started by the wonger need food, Dec 23, 2004.

1. the wonger need food

the wonger need food Hall of Fame

I have my theories but would like to hear from you guys. I understand that he is exciting to watch in the open field but he gets sacked a lot and statistically he is below average. The Falcons defense is the biggest reason for their success this year. He makes the Pro Bowl and signs the biggest contract in football... so what is the fascination with this guy?

2. Chawky1

Chawky1 Veteran

I think this goes along the lines of watching a Barry Sanders. At this point in his career Vick is not a great, heck not even a good QB in terms of the prototypical, traditional QB. He is some sort of an athletic freak, with these immeasurable skills, in the highest profile position. Legs and vision of a franchise RB with a total cannon for an arm, getting Favre-like velocity on his passes. If he were actually able to make better decisions, read defenses better, and manage the game fully, a lot seem to think his talent level is limitless. I think everyone is just wowed by his amazing physical feats. As far as pure athletes go, he is incredible and thats what everyone is hung up on. I personally dont think he is a top 20 QB in this league but his athletic skills are hard to ignore.

3. TexansTrueFan

TexansTrueFan Hall of Fame

he keeps playing like he does his NFL career will be short lived !

4. ThaShark316

ThaShark316 #28

When it comes to Vick getting sacked...The Falcons have a below-average o-line,not as bad as the Texans,but its pretty weak. Vick is still young,so I think he'll be a good traditional QB in the years to come. You can't deny his speed and quickness when he's moving around.

5. TexansTrueFan

TexansTrueFan Hall of Fame

i think he should just become a running back ! so they can actually have a QB with some accuracy !

6. Nawzer

Nawzer Alienz

According to AP reports Mike Vick of the Falcons has agreed to a 10 year $100 million contract.

Vick Deal

7. OzzO

OzzO .. and then?

Guess he's gonna play QB and RB.

8. Youngstown Colt

Youngstown Colt All Pro

How can you insert "pay-me-a-ton" into mike vick tho, that's the real problem

9. nunusguy

nunusguy Hall of Fame

Yes, he's a tremendously talented running back who also has an excellent arm. Elway was a tremendously talented passer who was also an excellent runner. But Vick athletic abiliy is >. He's healthy and the Falcons are in the playoffs again like year before last. Can't argue with success.

10. jags98

jags98 Veteran

11. WWJD

WWJD Hall of Fame

I don't know if he's overrated but to me he's sort of a football freak. The guy that can outjuke the best defender on the field and he can throw the ball a mile. Whether it gets to the receiver is a different matter but the guy is a specimen. And I guess Atlanta is going to ride on his back for as long as they can.

12. Youngstown Colt

Youngstown Colt All Pro

Guys, he's never gonna be a 4,000 yard 65% passer. So if you're waiting for that time to call him a great QB, keep waiting. His all around playmaking abilities is what makes him special. And if he wins a SB, it won't be because he threw for 4,000 yards.

The contract is a little much, but eventually he will earn it

13. Youngstown Colt

Youngstown Colt All Pro

You saw this great defense last year didn't you? oh wait, they were horrible. Believe it if you want, but vick impacts his defense as much as he impacts his offense

14. Huge

Huge Hall of Fame

Without Vick, the Falcons were 2-10 last year. Same team was 3-1 after he returned from his injury. Yeah, it's the defense that carries that team.

His 314 passing attempts would rank at the bottom of every starting QB that has yet to miss any time due to injury/benching. That might help explain his lack of yards.

Worth $100 million? No way. But no player is. Overrated? Not even close.

Bottom line, he wins. Doesn't matter how he does it...6 points with your arm is the same as 6 with your legs.

15. Youngstown Colt

Youngstown Colt All Pro

fine points sir

16. Ihategeeks

Ihategeeks Hall of Fame

Right on Huge.

17. axman40

axman40 Hall of Fame

MERRY CHRISTMAS MR. Vick
    :christmas

18. infantrycak

infantrycak Mod. Staff Member

Very well done use of sarcasm, but looking to reality the defense was so bad last year that in addition to getting rid of the head coach they got rid of the DC and went from a 3-4 to a 4-3 that better suited their personnel--helping them go from 32nd in total defense to 13th--yeah, sure the defense had nothing to do with the team's success.

19. Youngstown Colt

Youngstown Colt All Pro

no one was saying the defense has nothing to do with the success, that's just putting words in people's mouths. Many people will tell you scheme is overrated, you can't do it without the players, and these players were here last year

20. infantrycak

infantrycak Mod. Staff Member

OK sarcasm isn't as obvious on a MB, but Huge is not going to deny the sarcasm of his comment about the defense. No words being put anywhere here. In any event Huge is more than capable of coming in and saying he didn't mean Vick isn't more of the reason for the change from last year to this than the defense. (Double negative but you get the meaning.)

Really, who?--do they say that about players period, or players for the scheme? Funny that Atlanta and San Diego kept the same players and changed schemes and had much better results this year, whereas KC kept the same players and changed coaches to teach the same scheme and still sucks.