Why is LaRon Landry's stock falling so much?

Discussion in 'College Football & the NFL Draft' started by Ole Miss Texan, Feb 11, 2007.

1. Ole Miss Texan

Ole Miss Texan Hall of Fame

Why is LaRon Landry's stock falling so much?

I'll go out on a limb and say that the majority of people still see him and Nelson as the two best safeties in the draft.

I know Reggie Nelson's stock has really increased a lot over this past year and past 3 months even... he could put up a great showing at the combine too. Most people also say that nelson has more upside to him than landry.

I don't really want this to turn into a nelson vs. landry thread. but let's leave it to landry specifically... both safeties could go around 10..or even higher...it doesn't matter...but i've seen Landry sliding on a lot more mocks recently.

Why is landry starting to slide? He was my favorite pick from the very beginning before the 2006 season even started. He seems to have great leadership qualities and I think he seems like a Texan player.

Again I see him sliding on a lot of mocks. Where do y'all think he'll go? Would you be upset if we selected him at #8? I would prefer a trade down this year to pick up a 3rd. that would mean we'd only move down a few slots...and maybe pick Landry up...depending on what bpa and who's on the board.

2. mexican_texan

mexican_texan Furry Tractors

He had a bad bowl game. Well, not bad, per sé, but he didn't perform like a top ten pick.

3. Ole Miss Texan

I guess I made this a little prematurely. I just looked at a lot of mocks..and most have him going 14 to Carolina...I guess last week he seemed to be going past that more than i'm seeing now...funny how things change so quickly.

I'll agree his bowl game wasn't that impressive...but I really didn't think it hurt him too much at all. I guess a lot of guys are really coming on strong that people are noticing..like Jamaal Anderson and Amobi Okoye, levi brown even..

I think if AP isn't there when we pick...I'd hope Bradie Quinn is and Carolina really want's to trade up for him. our 8 (1400pts) for their 14 (1100) and 3rd rd (200) plus their 2008 3rd rder. Or even play around some...take their 2nd but give them our 4th and 5th? i could probably do this all day but at least get a good/ fair deal. Hopefully they'd give us a good one because they'd be afraid Miami would take Quinn.

Then we could take Landry hopefully w/ that pick.

4. V Man

V Man Pumpkinhead

But you could say that for Nelson as well. I think he is falling kinda like Ryans fell last year. He is not flashy enough. He doesn't make the flahy play or may not up the fastest times at the combine or workouts, but instead he just gets the job done. And unfortunately that isn't media friendly, they just want flash. Now don't get me wrong, I am not saying that Nelson isn't a great player, because he is. But he is more flashy than Landry.

5. TexanSam

TexanSam Hall of Fame

I don't like the way Nelson tackles.

6. htownfoozball

htownfoozball Veteran

man...we could have a killer secondary if we take

1-laron landry FS
    2-chris houston CB
    3-Best OT Available
    4-brandon jackson RB
    5-clifton ryan DT

7. TexansCanes

TexansCanes All Pro

i think it was because he wasn't at the senior bowl, a lot of players improved their stock, instead he decided to opt out. i don't know if he is really falling though, in most mocks i still see him in the top 15.

8. Ole Miss Texan

Yea I can definitely see how you say he's not 'flashy'... i like that though..he gets the job done like demeco does...i see them being very similar which makes me want him even more. i think there is zero chance landry falls to us in the 2nd like demeco did...

i like his style of play, he just seems like a quality pick up that would be a Huge improvement in pass coverage and still a very good tackler...how would yall rate landry's tackling/ rush defense compared to cc's?

man oh man having him and chris houston back there would be phenominal. I'm really starting to get back in my landry mood.

right now i think my 2 favs in the 1st two rds are

1.Adrian Peterson/Laron Landry
    2.Ryan Kalil/ Chris Houston (or aaron ross?)

9. royce1054

royce1054 All Pro

Well one reason i have heard that he might slip past the Texans is bc he is a SS and Nelson is a FS. Earl has been decent but Brown is not a FS and it showed. Plus from what i have been hearing in recent talks about the Lions from Lions fans on other forums they are sayin its a good possibility they will take Peterson at the #2 pick. So i look at what might be available for us thinking that Detriot or Cleveland might take AP. Honestly i would be happy with either of them. I am a little higher on Landry than Nelson by talent. Something about taking a FS in the 1st round so high bothers me.

10. LORK 88

LORK 88 Wreck'em Ŧech!

If Detroit picks Peterson, they should demand Millen's head. When you spend 3 high picks on RBs (1st on Jones in '04, 3rd on Calhoun in '06, and 1st on Peterson in '07) especially considering the amount of money Peterson will demand, that is horrible on the front office's part. Especially considering you can only start 1 RB and split so many carries between them. Poor Detroit, such a mess . . .

11. amazingandre

amazingandre All Pro

it is bad but there rb is out for half the seaoson next year.....i like landry more, he hits soooooo hard i wish we had him to blitz manning and just lay huge smacks on wayne and harrison as they come across the middle.....

12. Silver Oak

Silver Oak Hall of Fame

Can someone help me out here? Who is the defensive "qb" on the field for the Texans? Is it the FS or one of the LB's?

13. kastofsna

kastofsna Hall of Fame

his stock hasn't fallen at all. he had a good Sugar Bowl and he had an excellent week at the Senior Bowl.

14. Exithios

Exithios Veteran

I beleive it is the Mike (Middle) line backer. So it would be DeMeco calling the plays in the defensive huddle. Hope that answers your question.

15. beerlover

beerlover Site Contributor

Landry did not compete in the Senior Bowl, allowing Meriweather to not only shine @ FS but to play some CB when Ross got shaken up.

16. kastofsna

kastofsna Hall of Fame

haha wow, who was i thinking of...

17. real

real Guest

Landry's stock has fallen because Nelson's has risen....simple as that....

Just like last year. Leinarts stock fell because VY's rose.

And Brady Quinn. His stock took a hit when Jamarcus Russel came on the scene.

It happens every year.

Texans Horror likes this.
  18. kastofsna

kastofsna Hall of Fame

not really, landry is still the #1 safety on pretty much everyone's boards (everyone that matters, anyway).

19. real

real Guest

Matt Leinart was Number one on every one's baord too.

And Brady Quinn is still the number one QB on everyone's baord that matters.

20. kastofsna

kastofsna Hall of Fame

which is why quinn will be the first quarterback drafted, and landry will be the first safety drafted.