Why is everyone making excuses for K.J.

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by EllisUnit, Jan 6, 2011.

1. EllisUnit

EllisUnit Serving Koolaid

It is not bad coaching that gets him burnt every game, it was not frank bushs fault he was always 10-15 steps behing the man he was covering. You can teach technique but you cant teach speed. Our best CB this season was easily Jason Allen, he will be resigned this off seasons IMO. Jackson is a bust IMO, and yes i can say that after 1 season, it would been fine if he woulda shown some improvement but he didn't, he was as bad his last game as he was his first.

So why does everyone keep defending him. Some of u wanting him to continue to start sound a lot like the way bob mcnair thinks. Lets dont be hypocrites.

2. Thorn

Thorn Dirty Old Man

The defense will get rebooted during this offseason. Why don't we just wait and see what ole Uncle Wade has in store for us? KJ might not be a factor next year, but none of us knows that as yet.

3. DerekLee1

DerekLee1 Hall of Fame

I haven't heard anyone defend him on this board. All I hear is "..and Kareem Jackson falls down".

I wasn't critical of the selection initially, but my concern was that their argument was "he's the most NFL-ready". But that also could mean, "that's as good as he'll ever get", that he's reached his potential. That seems to be the case, but a good CB also makes a huge leap between years 1 and 2. And it's not often a rookie CB is asked to defend the opposing team's #1 receiver every week for a full season. We should've kept Reeves and brought KJ along slowly by playing him in nickel packages.

4. HOU-TEX

HOU-TEX Ah, Football!

Leave KJ Alone!!!

[​IMG]

Seriously? We needed a new thread for this?

Koolaid Time and sakebomb like this.
  5. EllisUnit

http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=79168

6. DerekLee1

DerekLee1 Hall of Fame

7. GP

GP Go Texans!

Plug him in as a nickel back and watch him shine.

He can't cover man-to-man, but let him (on nickel situations) drift over and support the CBs or let him be responsible for covering the man out of the backfield and I think he'll do well.

However, this regime feels that he's a Round 1 draft pick and therefore he MUST be a true starting CB. This regime will pound on that square peg until it somehow goes through the round hole.

There's a sense of this Owner/GM/HC just "not getting it" and then also being too loyal, to a fault, because they want to feel good about themselves and make sure every person has a chance and no kid is left behind.

It's the Head Start team of the NFL.

8. speedfreek

speedfreek Hall of Fame

worst wasted pick since Amoeba Okoye

current staff can't eval defensive talent at all

TJ

9. BigBull17

BigBull17 Hall of Fame

Cause you don't blame the player for being a reach, you blame the brain trust that picked him early. KJ is what he is.

10. 2slik4u

2slik4u All Pro

Ill defend him. The kid is a rookie. Not only is he a rookie but he doesnt have the luxury of a great defense (McCourty) or of being the nickel CB (Wilson) or have any vets teaching him the tricks of the trade (cromartie/revis). Im assuming these are the two that he is continually compared two because they were drafted so close together.

Not to mention, our defense can't apply pressure to save our lives. With that being said, he was constantly on an island without any help from our front seven putting pressure on the QB so they could basically pick apart our secondary.

Also, besides QB, I think CB is the hardest position to start at as a rookie. Im not saying he was great or even good, I'm saying he is VERY young. As for coaching and getting burnt like you said earlier? If he is not being coached correctly on how to move his hips, anticipate, etc, then he will lose steps every time and "appear" to be burnt.

Im not sure that what Im saying is the 100% case, but it could easily be so seeing as how bad our defense was this year. I think with proper coaching and a veteran presence, this kid could be very good.

You cant label the kid a bust until year 3 at best. The NFL and college are two completely different levels.

I think saying the kid sucks and needs to be cut is ridiculous. Give him the proper tools and then make a decision.

11. disaacks3

disaacks3 Site Contributor

Coaching WASN'T an issue....really? I guess Glover Quin regressed because of what exactly? How about the effectiveness of Pollard? Kareem always got that safety help that was supposed to be there in Wilson I suppose?

You've got to be kidding if you think Kareem Jackson is as bad as he was made to look at times this season. Especially, if you think it was his fault alone.

:kubepalm:

2slik4u likes this.
  12. 2slik4u

2slik4u All Pro

This.

13. dream_team

dream_team Hall of Fame

Actually, I think Glover was our best corner this season. Jason did play well considering we just picked him off the waiver wire midseason.

Kareem does look like he doesn't have the speed to recover, but I'm hoping better coaching will help.

14. EllisUnit

he's been playing this game his whole life so come on its not gibbs/bushs fault. u can label someone a bust after 1 season. I saw many of these same people call M.W a bust after season 1.

15. HuttoKarl

HuttoKarl Hall of Fame

Fred Bennett would be another example...played pretty well until the Texans coaching staff sunk their hooks into him.

16. EllisUnit

i'm not saying the play calling wasnt terrible. But if ur playing man regardless of the play u should be able to play man, same with zone. it is simple u can either run with a WR r u cant, u can either turn and run with the WR r u cant. U have it r u dont.

17. 2slik4u

2slik4u All Pro

My point exactly!! MW has recorded more sacks in his five years than any other DE!

And give me a break, if you havent heard the speed difference from the NFL to college then you havent been paying attention to football too long. If you think it is the EXACT same game then explain why so many college coaches have failed in the NFL.

Some players cant get the grasp of the NFL, not saying KJ will or has gotten it, but he played on the worst defense ever, got coached by a bum, and was a rookie.

Give me a break bro.

:wadepalm:

18. 2slik4u

2slik4u All Pro

Im not going to pound my point in any more than I have. This is ridiculous. Do some research before you make asinine comments like these.

19. EllisUnit

but M.W never looked slow, our out of his league. If u can teach speed i am gonna go take a speed class and try out for the texans next season. He gets left in the dust and get even further behind the longer he chases. I'm saying M.W had a descent Rookie year and many called him a bust now K.J has the worst year and people refuse to call him a bust. sounds to me like people were still made we didnt get young our bush.

20. EllisUnit

u want me to research what exactly. i didnt show any stats, no theories, i pointed out the obvious from the season, he couldnt play man, or zone, and was always getting burnt. there is plenty of facts to support that he was easily the worst CB in the NFL if thats what u want.