Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Why I would keep Kubiak

Softest schedule the Texans have had. And they managed to blow 4 division games in a row.

That is good. But that is between the 20's mostly. And usually in one half of a game.

If you would have read my post you would have seen my explanation of that. The only reason we are still in the playoff hunt is because the other teams contending for a wildcard spot are hovering around the .500 mark. They are invading our mediocre territory.

I like our defense. But that is because of Bush not Kubiak.

Under Kubiak the Texans have been 3-3, 1-5, 2-4 and 1-5 against the teams in our division. If we can't beat those teams (that we face twice a year) then we will never go anywhere.

None of those plays were for the win.

Yep. Looks like you got us with those details.

Stats and close losses do nothing for us. We need wins and consistant play for 60 minutes a game for 16 games. We have the talent to beat any team in the NFL. The frustrating part is Kubiak doesn't know how to use it. The Texans are the most up and down team week to week and game half to game half in the NFL. This is a direct reflection of our hc not being able to prepare his team properly imho.

Well said. I stopped looking at stats about 6 or so games ago. I got tired of coming into work after a big fat L bragging about our outstanding quarterback. Matt is fantastic, and has put up the numbers, but he doesn't have the W's.

9-7, on a weak schedule, in which you UNDERACHIEVED to fall to, with no
playoffs, is no different than 8-8. If they make the playoffs, then I'll give
this coaching staff credit for saving the season. Until then, they're the same
squad they were in the second half of '06 all the way to now.

Again.

Gary Kubiak's last 55 games:

Second half of '06: 4-4
Entire '07 season : 8-8
Entire '08 season : 8-8
This season so far: 8-7

Overall Record: 28-27

So what's changed?

Co-sign. Totally agree.

It's going to be a LONG time before we get a schedule and set up like the one we had this year.

mussop

Hall of Fame
Softest schedule the Texans have had. And they managed to blow 4 division games in a row.

That is good. But that is between the 20's mostly. And usually in one half of a game.

If you would have read my post you would have seen my explanation of that. The only reason we are still in the playoff hunt is because the other teams contending for a wildcard spot are hovering around the .500 mark. They are invading our mediocre territory.

I like our defense. But that is because of Bush not Kubiak.

Under Kubiak the Texans have been 3-3, 1-5, 2-4 and 1-5 against the teams in our division. If we can't beat those teams (that we face twice a year) then we will never go anywhere.

None of those plays were for the win.

Yep. Looks like you got us with those details.

Stats and close losses do nothing for us. We need wins and consistant play for 60 minutes a game for 16 games. We have the talent to beat any team in the NFL. The frustrating part is Kubiak doesn't know how to use it. The Texans are the most up and down team week to week and game half to game half in the NFL. This is a direct reflection of our hc not being able to prepare his team properly imho.
Spelling out the real details certainly refutes the knee-jerk apologist.

TheRealJoker

Hall of Fame
All signs point to Kubiak getting another year regardless which is unfortunate because I think a head coach worthy of getting a 5th year to prove himself could've gotten 10 wins (which would be enough for a wildcard) out of this team's personnel and the schedule that the Texans were given for this season.

A worthy HC would've done better than 1-5 in the division. Kubiak has consistently gone 3-1 against the NFC and does great out of our division within the conference as well. Unfortunately he's never shown he can win games within our division consistently. As long as that's the case we're always gonna need to rely on miracles to backdoor our way into the playoffs.

El Tejano

Hall of Fame
As for the division, Kubiak didn't miss the FGs against Indy and Tenn. Also go and look at how the Colts won all year long and they've pretty much did to us what they've done to others. The Jville game started making me want him fired.

As for the defense getting better. Someone said that was Bush's doing not Kubiak's. However, Kubiak is the one who lobbied for this guy. He couldn't get him his first year because Az. wouldn't let him go. So in a way, Kubiak is responsible for the success of the defense.

My reason for not wanting to fire him, is because of the success of Matt Schaub. Coach to QB relationship is a big reason for many teams success. They each know what they can do and have each others confidence. We don't know if Schaub would be able to have that same success. As long as you have a good QB that truly has a handle on the system, you are going to win games.

mussop

Hall of Fame
-Kubiak had them at 5-3 at midpoint, first time ever, first time in Texans history.

And yet

2007 - Week 13 - 5-7
2008 - Week 13 - 5-7
2009 - Week 13 - 5-7

Jumble the numbers anyway you want but at the end of the day we are a mediocre team team that cant play 60 minutes of good football when it matters. The Dolphins game was the perfect example of who this team is under Kubiak. We are a team that at times can look dominate and at other times looks lost. Seeing and knowing that I dont know how anyone can come to any other conclusion than the coaching is subpar.

We outplay teams in the first half an get outcoached in the second half on a regular basis.

Anxious on my part. I don't wanna lose to Dallas in our house, I may be going to the Philly game so if I am going to have stuff slung at my head and end up in jail I would like for us to at least win, and the Giants and Redskins are good team. That and its a tough smash mouth old school division.

For our division we need CB's and a FS to beat Indy, a DT to beat the Tits, and some luck to beat the Jags.

Edit:

Maybe Kubiak really is trying to get fired.

Next years schedule:
Home: Indianapolis, Jacksonville, Tennessee, Kansas City, San Diego, Dallas, N.Y. Giants, AFC North
Away: Indianapolis, Jacksonville, Tennessee, Denver, Oakland, Philadelphia, Washington, AFC East

AFC North will either be Pit or Baltimore and AFC East will be the Jets.
A tough schedule is a good thing. I think we'll be up for those challenges and be battle tested going in to the playoffs.

A tough schedule is a good thing. I think we'll be up for those challenges and be battle tested going in to the playoffs.
Wow.

I like your optimism and I hope you're right, but...we don't do well when faced with challenges. We struggled with the soft schedule this year, next year is going to be uphill.

utahmark

markbeth
so if a couple of guys make a few plays we win at least 2 more games. all the sudden kubiak is a great coach? at least a coach worth keeping. missed field goals and guys fumbling at the one is just blind luck, or unluck.

this is a good team and they are getting better. there is only a few teams in the league that we wouldnt have a realistic shot at beating on the road or at home. we get a new coach in here no telling what will happen? i'll stick with what we got for now.

utahmark

markbeth
I don't understand you guys. We played a dominant 1st half and then were in danger of losing the game. This, most likely, will be our 3rd 8-8 season and, even if we do beat the Pats (fat chance) the Jets are in the driver's seat and we won't make the playoffs.

Even if, by a miracle, we beat the Pats and the Jets lose at home to the Gals, and we make the playoffs, we are STILL a mediocre team with a mediocre record.

So, we keep Smithiak and end up mediocre again next year, but we came close to making the playoffs with a tough schedule so let's give Smithiak another 5 years of mediocrity!

Since Smithiak took over the team there have been several other teams change coaches and already made the playoffs and one of them did it with a rookie QB.

I just don't believe Kubes is HC material at this point. He is a really good guy and obviously a good coordinator.

Smith as GM ..... well the middle of both our lines are STILL weak and, while Pollard is an excellent addition, we are weak at safety. We have potential at CB with the rookies and that's encouraging, but they're not there yet.

Oh yeah, our DE's are very inconsistent, too.

I say make the change this year or next year we're gonna be looking at 7-9 and saying that we improved as a team, just not reflected in W's.....
cinn would probably be our first opponent. we have already beaten them.

TheRealJoker

Hall of Fame
so if a couple of guys make a few plays we win at least 2 more games. all the sudden kubiak is a great coach? at least a coach worth keeping. missed field goals and guys fumbling at the one is just blind luck, or unluck.

this is a good team and they are getting better. there is only a few teams in the league that we wouldnt have a realistic shot at beating on the road or at home. we get a new coach in here no telling what will happen? i'll stick with what we got for now.
That's the NFL for you. The margin of victory is so small... that is what makes the difference between a 1-5 division record and 5-1 :(

Fact is, every coach that is about to get fired can make similar arguments about "well if a ball just bounced our way we would've won that game". But the problem with that logic is that the final score said that coach lost at the end of the day.

DexmanC

Hall of Fame

This is the kind of terminology championship teams don't use. You MAKE your luck
by playing with high, focused, intense effort for 60 MINUTES. They had
the Colts beat twice, and let them back in the game. The Colts TOOK the
game once the Texans opened the door. Miami was a couple penalties away
from taking THIS game from them. They do NOT adjust to the opponents'
adjustments at all!

I semi-joked on the gameday thread that the Texans would be hoping they'd
scored enough points in the first half to win. This coach can NOT make
second half adjustments. Once halftime hits, we just have to outlast
our opponents, because our coach does not adjust. The elite teams in this
league will beat us every time, and Kubiak has NOT shown ANYTHING in the
direction to change that trend.

This isn't the SEC or Big 12. In today's NFL, you can NOT hope to acquire
enough talent to cover your coaches glaring deficiencies, of which he's
TOO DAMNED STUBBORN to fix!

utahmark

markbeth
no, every coach can't make that argument. you can tell the difference from a good team that had a chance and a poorly coached team that everyone knows wont show up to play. we are playing well against good teams with chances to win. and we are mostly dominating the poor teams. bad teams get blown our by the good teams and have chance to win against the poor teams. we and improving team that was a break or two from the playoff's.

utahmark

markbeth
This is the kind of terminology championship teams don't use. You MAKE your luck
by playing with high, focused, intense effort for 60 MINUTES. They had
the Colts beat twice, and let them back in the game. The Colts TOOK the
game once the Texans opened the door. Miami was a couple penalties away
from taking THIS game from them. They do NOT adjust to the opponents'
adjustments at all!

I semi-joked on the gameday thread that the Texans would be hoping they'd
scored enough points in the first half to win. This coach can NOT make
second half adjustments. Once halftime hits, we just have to outlast
our opponents, because our coach does not adjust. The elite teams in this
league will beat us every time, and Kubiak has NOT shown ANYTHING in the
direction to change that trend.

This isn't the SEC or Big 12. In today's NFL, you can NOT hope to acquire
enough talent to cover your coaches glaring deficiencies, of which he's
TOO DAMNED STUBBORN to fix!
we are not a championship team. we are a young, improving, good football team. some people want to tear that up and take our chances with a new coach, some want to see where this team can go. i prefer the second option.

no, every coach can't make that argument. you can tell the difference from a good team that had a chance and a poorly coached team that everyone knows wont show up to play. we are playing well against good teams with chances to win. and we are mostly dominating the poor teams. bad teams get blown our by the good teams and have chance to win against the poor teams. we and improving team that was a break or two from the playoff's.
Um, no.

It's not about "chances to win." It's about winning. We had Indy. Twice. And blew it.

When your nuts are in the grinder, top shelf teams know how to stop the grinder and pull their nuts out.

utahmark

markbeth
Um, no.

It's not about "chances to win." It's about winning. We had Indy. Twice. And blew it.

When your nuts are in the grinder, top shelf teams know how to stop the grinder and pull their nuts out.
indy is better than we are. you want to start over because were not as good as indy this year. there isnt a coach in the world who could of made this team better than indy this year. we do have a coach already in place that might make us a better team than indy next year. there are some coaches out there that also have a good chance of getting that done. there are also some good looking coaching canadates that would actually destroy this team and everything weve built. i think our best chance at success is to keep who we got.

indy is better than we are. you want to start over because were not as good as indy this year. there isnt a coach in the world who could of made this team better than indy this year. we do have a coach already in place that might make us a better team than indy next year. there are some coaches out there that also have a good chance of getting that done. there are also some good looking coaching canadates that would actually destroy this team and everything weve built. i think our best chance at success is to keep who we got.
Good grief. The fear of change strikes again.

Did you see the first half of the second Indy game? We BEAT THE CRAP OUT OF THEM. Indy is beatable. We have to get away from cowering from Indy and excusing those losses. They are in our division. Those games are important.

You're cool with 8-8. That's your business. I'm not.

DexmanC

Hall of Fame
Good grief. The fear of change strikes again.

Did you see the first half of the second Indy game? We BEAT THE CRAP OUT OF THEM. Indy is beatable. We have to get away from cowering from Indy and excusing those losses. They are in our division. Those games are important.

You're cool with 8-8. That's your business. I'm not.
You think Philip Rivers shakes in his boots when it's time to play the Colts?
They won AT Indy, IN THE PLAYOFFS, although they won their division at
8-8. Don't be afraid to RAISE YOUR EXPECTATIONS! I do NOT want
the Texans to be the Chicago Cubs of the NFL!

Co-sign!

utahmark

markbeth
just a diff in opinion. some believe a fiery coach with a great pep talk can will a kicker to make a kick. or make a guy hold on to a football. others don't believe a pre game speech can do those things.

DexmanC

Hall of Fame
just a diff in opinion. some believe a fiery coach with a great pep talk can will a kicker to make a kick. or make a guy hold on to a football. others don't believe a pre game speech can do those things.
Maybe if that coach could get his team to not give up 100 yards in penalties,
they wouldn't NEED their kicker to play to TIE the game.

mussop

Hall of Fame
we are not a championship team. we are a young, improving, good football team. some people want to tear that up and take our chances with a new coach, some want to see where this team can go. i prefer the second option.
That is a horrible counter to the post you responded to. He points out the coaches inabilities to make adjustments and all you have is "well were a young improving team".

Even if this team goees out and adds more talent and stays healthy next year, none of that is going make up for Kubiaks deficencies as a HC.

infantrycak

Hall of Fame
Maybe if that coach could get his team to not give up 100 yards in penalties,
they wouldn't NEED their kicker to play to TIE the game.
Maybe if the kicker hadn't missed a FG earlier in the game his missed kick at the end would have been to WIN the game.

mussop

Hall of Fame
Another weak argument. No one is saying we need a better motivator. We need a coach capable of game planning and making adjustments that give this young talented team a better chance at winning.

DexmanC

Hall of Fame
Maybe if the kicker hadn't missed a FG earlier in the game his missed kick at the end would have been to WIN the game.
Had they not given up 100+ yards in undisciplined penalites, maybe they
scored on the drives that stalled because of them, or they get off the
field on those 3rd downs, instead of creating new 1st downs for their
opponents with said silly penalties.

It goes back to coaching.

nytexan

Waterboy
Are you truly going to compare the playoff tested, veteran team of the Chargers with the young Texans???? Please tell me your not that dumb.

Raise expectations???? Let's be real, the Jaguars of 2007 were 11-4 before they rested all their starters and ended up 11-5. The next year they lost 3 starters in the OL. They ended up 5-11 in 2008 and still haven't fully recovered. The Texans lost 2 starters in the OL and a pro bowl TE this year and are still competing for a playoff spot in week 17. Realistically Kubiak has done a yeoman job of keeping the team competitive while being devoid of a running game.

As for the weak schedule that everyone that wants Kubiak fired over argues, there is the real possibility after this coming week that the only 4 teams with a losing record we've played this year are Buffalo, St.Louis, Seattle and Oakland. The 3 teams with 7-8 records play Cleveland-St.Louis and Seattle their last game. So they'll all end up at 8-8. So what EASY schedule are you talking about.

As for the Colts, do you really believe we were the only team that Manning had a 4th quarter comeback on this year. If I'm not mistaken he broke the record this year with a 14-1 team that would have been 15-0 if Caldwell had kept his starters in the whole game.

Improvement from last year?? If getting blown out by almost every playoff team we played last year to being competitive with everyone this year is not an improvement, no-one will ever convince you of anything.

Are you truly going to compare the playoff tested, veteran team of the Chargers with the young Texans???? Please tell me your not that dumb.

Raise expectations???? Let's be real, the Jaguars of 2007 were 11-4 before they rested all their starters and ended up 11-5. The next year they lost 3 starters in the OL. They ended up 5-11 in 2008 and still haven't fully recovered. The Texans lost 2 starters in the OL and a pro bowl TE this year and are still competing for a playoff spot in week 17. Realistically Kubiak has done a yeoman job of keeping the team competitive while being devoid of a running game.

As for the weak schedule that everyone that wants Kubiak fired over argues, there is the real possibility after this coming week that the only 4 teams with a losing record we've played this year are Buffalo, St.Louis, Seattle and Oakland. The 3 teams with 7-8 records play Cleveland-St.Louis and Seattle their last game. So they'll all end up at 8-8. So what EASY schedule are you talking about.

As for the Colts, do you really believe we were the only team that Manning had a 4th quarter comeback on this year. If I'm not mistaken he broke the record this year with a 14-1 team that would have been 15-0 if Caldwell had kept his starters in the whole game.

Improvement from last year?? If getting blown out by almost every playoff team we played last year to being competitive with everyone this year is not an improvement, no-one will ever convince you of anything.
Uh, no, genius.

This team was struggling BEFORE OD went down. Playing inconsistent and sloppy. Don't pull up the OD excuse.

Who gives a **** how other teams played against Indy? The fact is, WE COULD HAVE BEAT THEM TWICE, AND DID NOT. Why is that so hard for people to believe?

If you can't look at our EASY schedule this year, you don't know much about football.

Please tell me you're not that dumb.

nytexan

Waterboy
If you go thru each game we played and add up the records you'll see that their records at 95 wins and 85 losses. That's a .528 winning percentage. That doesn't seem easy to me but maybe you're a better genius than me??

DexmanC

Hall of Fame

Getting blown out by the Jets, our DIRECT COMPETITION FOR THE PLAYOFF
SPOT, on OPENING DAY, AT HOME, DID HAPPEN!

FIVE straight DIVISION LOSSES DID HAPPEN!

Playing up for ONE HALF, and being COMPLETELY INEPT the other half of
FOURTEEN of our games DID HAPPEN!

Losing to ALL BUT ONE winning team this season DID HAPPEN

This team will always be mediocre, until it stops measuring its defeats with
EXCUSES. You have to acknowledge a problem by assessing it HONESTLY.
Once you do that, you have to power to CORRECT the flaws in your game.
Keep excusing them away, you'll continue to see the same mistakes game
in game out, season in, season out.

DexmanC

Hall of Fame
If you go thru each game we played and add up the records you'll see that their records at 95 wins and 85 losses. That's a .528 winning percentage. That doesn't seem easy to me but maybe you're a better genius than me??
We contributed to their winning percentage by seven of those wins. Re-
configure those numbers MINUS the Texans, and you'll get what I'm talking
about.

gary

Hall of Fame
They did not score any points in the second half and yet they are on the verge. Verge of what? Playoffs are we talking about playoffs or even keeping Gary Kubiak? Just give me a break already. Still giving the football to Chris Brown is all on Kubiak and that is beyond me. Anyone who thinks the Texans will play both halfs is nuts I have seen it too many times before and I know otherwise. And that is what they are going to have to do in order to beat a team like the Pats who are just now peeking now again just like they always do. I just don't see this team winning what has now become the biggest game in fanchise history now I understand that pharse has been tossed around the message board but I truly feel this way hands down due to the win against the Dolphins and just what is going to be at stake for the Texans this Sunday afternoon. If they do make the playoffs Gary is not the coach to take them above or beyond that point maybe he will be with some other team someday but not with the Texans. He does not have very good knowledge of the game clock and he never has. It is not all bad but it's not as great as it should be in order to take this team to the next level as they lack that certain fire that every single NFL playoff bound team has under coach Gary Kubiak. The Texans would be very lucky to scratch the sand and end up with an 8-8 record in 2011 regardless of who the HC is that would be very good. If it were not for a missed FG and a TD that was called back the Texans probably lose that game as well.

Last edited:

infantrycak

Hall of Fame
Had they not given up 100+ yards in undisciplined penalites, maybe they
scored on the drives that stalled because of them, or they get off the
field on those 3rd downs, instead of creating new 1st downs for their
opponents with said silly penalties.

It goes back to coaching.
Yeah coaching has Barwin getting called for a phantom neutral zone infraction after an incomplete pass on 3rd and 4 or makes a franchise tagged vet like Dunta pull a jersey on an uncatchable ball. Go with that.

This team was struggling BEFORE OD went down. Playing inconsistent and sloppy. Don't pull up the OD excuse.
Inconsistent maybe but 5-3 on a three game win streak.

Who gives a **** how other teams played against Indy? The fact is, WE COULD HAVE BEAT THEM TWICE, AND DID NOT. Why is that so hard for people to believe?
The fact that you can be all emphatic about the Texans COULD HAVE BEAT THEM TWICE is proof of improvement by itself. Until the last two years the Texans were a doormat to the Colts. Now we are a team they take very seriously.

Getting blown out by the Jets, our DIRECT COMPETITION FOR THE PLAYOFF
SPOT, on OPENING DAY, AT HOME, DID HAPPEN!

FIVE straight DIVISION LOSSES DID HAPPEN!

Playing up for ONE HALF, and being COMPLETELY INEPT the other half of
FOURTEEN of our games DID HAPPEN!

Losing to ALL BUT ONE winning team this season DID HAPPEN

This team will always be mediocre, until it stops measuring its defeats with
EXCUSES. You have to acknowledge a problem by assessing it HONESTLY.
Once you do that, you have to power to CORRECT the flaws in your game.
Keep excusing them away, you'll continue to see the same mistakes game
in game out, season in, season out.

Dex, I was driving my car and listening to the radio when I learned that the last playoff spot could come down to us and the Jets. I nearly crashed my car.

My understanding is that if it's a tie between the Texans and the Jets, the breaker would be whomever won the game between the two.

Guess who that was?

nytexan

Waterboy
about.
Actually if you also add in the 8 wins, it lowers their winning percentage, but I'm sure you already knew that. I'm not trying to make excuses, I've been trying to give you facts. Am I overjoyed with this year, no to be honest I'm a touch disappointed, but having said that anyone who's trying to fair in the Texans assessment of this year has to admit there has been progress and more than a little.

The defense is in much better shape and getting a safety and DT in the offseason won't hurt it either. They also have to address the middle of their OL and NEED a running back. Another year of experience for a young starting team won't hurt either. I'm just willing to give Kub's one more year to get it right. That's all.

utahmark

markbeth
about.

lol. you will have to do that to every other teams strength of scheadule as well. thats just crazy logic.

DexmanC

Hall of Fame
lol. you will have to do that to every other teams strength of scheadule as well. thats just crazy logic.
It's just as crazy to suggest that this year's schedule is tougher than last
year's or the up coming season's schedule.

Scooter

Funky
our game against new england is getting scary. with as hard as dex, mussop, and spartan have been praying for 8-8 most of the year i'm worried about the disappointment our fans will have to endure if we win. this holiday season i'm hoping for good health for all texans fans ... beating new england for our first winning season would be a real heartbreaker. we're tough in houston though, lose and all will be well ... win and we'll stick it out with something else to ***** about.

let's go ... texans?

bckey

All Pro
I'm so tired of hearing the excuse that we are a young team. Actually we are around the middle of the pack so please drop that excuse.

Listed from oldest to youngest

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Three of nine oldest teams in NFC West
September 7, 2009 11:07 AM
Age Rank NFL Team Average Age
1 Redskins 28.02
2 Saints 27.99
3 Cardinals 27.74
3 Patriots 27.74
5 Lions 27.62
6 49ers 27.51
7 Steelers 27.50
8 Vikings 27.48
9 Seahawks 27.41
10 Falcons 27.39
11 Titans 27.29
12 Browns 27.18
13 Jets 27.16
13 Broncos 27.16
15 Bears 27.02
16 Cowboys 26.93
17 Bills 26.93
18 Chargers 26.93
19 Texans 26.89
20 Giants 26.88
21 Ravens 26.83
22 Raiders 26.82
23 Eagles 26.81
24 Rams 26.73
25 Jaguars 26.61
26 Bengals 26.60
27 Dolphins 26.47
28 Bucs 26.46
29 Panthers 26.39
30 Chiefs 26.36
31 Colts 26.34
32 Packers 26.16
Posted by ESPN.com's Mike Sando

utahmark

markbeth
I'm so tired of hearing the excuse that we are a young team. Actually we are around the middle of the pack so please drop that excuse.

Listed from oldest to youngest

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Three of nine oldest teams in NFC West
September 7, 2009 11:07 AM
Age Rank NFL Team Average Age
1 Redskins 28.02
2 Saints 27.99
3 Cardinals 27.74
3 Patriots 27.74
5 Lions 27.62
6 49ers 27.51
7 Steelers 27.50
8 Vikings 27.48
9 Seahawks 27.41
10 Falcons 27.39
11 Titans 27.29
12 Browns 27.18
13 Jets 27.16
13 Broncos 27.16
15 Bears 27.02
16 Cowboys 26.93
17 Bills 26.93
18 Chargers 26.93
19 Texans 26.89
20 Giants 26.88
21 Ravens 26.83
22 Raiders 26.82
23 Eagles 26.81
24 Rams 26.73
25 Jaguars 26.61
26 Bengals 26.60
27 Dolphins 26.47
28 Bucs 26.46
29 Panthers 26.39
30 Chiefs 26.36
31 Colts 26.34
32 Packers 26.16
Posted by ESPN.com's Mike Sando
i think most people are talking about our starters. we have either the youngest or one of the youngest starting lineups in the league. some of our bench players like jeff z and our punter kind of skew that chart you just put up.

DexmanC

Hall of Fame
our game against new england is getting scary. with as hard as dex, mussop, and spartan have been praying for 8-8 most of the year i'm worried about the disappointment our fans will have to endure if we win. this holiday season i'm hoping for good health for all texans fans ... beating new england for our first winning season would be a real heartbreaker. we're tough in houston though, lose and all will be well ... win and we'll stick it out with something else to ***** about.

let's go ... texans?
None of us are HOPING for 8-8. We're just disappointed that we keep
drumming up new ways to embrace 8-8'dom every year. 9-7 with
no playoffs, considering the ability of this team, is unacceptable.
They make the playoffs, I'll tone it down 'till I start seeing the same
mistakes next year.

Scooter

Funky
youngest starting lineup. we dont have any starters over the age of 28 (smith, walter, johnson, schaub at 28). wilson and pitts bump the numbers when they're in (29 and 30 respectively), though the article by stephanie was written while wilson was still in i believe. you're roster numbers are also being skewed by having the oldest defensive player (zgonina at 39) and i think the oldest player (turk at 41).

utahmark

markbeth
None of us are HOPING for 8-8. We're just disappointed that we keep
drumming up new ways to embrace 8-8'dom every year. 9-7 with
no playoffs, considering the ability of this team, is unacceptable.
They make the playoffs, I'll tone it down 'till I start seeing the same
mistakes next year.
thats the exact point i'm trying to make. you'll be satisfied if we make the playoff's but in reality if we win there is nothing else we can do. so if we win and make the playoff's your happy. if we win and miss kubiak should go. he has no control over that. just like he had no control over a lot of **** that happened this year.

someone was talking about rex ryan earlier. if he would of played the colts when they had something to play for they would not be in the playoff race and then i guess he should be let go. since he got a lucky break and the colts laid down for them, now he's a genous and you would probably love to have him as our coach.

you have to just look for and see if we are getting better or not. if we are improving and being put in positions to win. we have something. if not then we need to look elsewhere. next year if we improve a little more some of these tight games that we barely lost wont be so close. we will be able to beat these teams comfortably and some of the teams we might get beat pretty soundly by this year(sd,new orleans, minn) we will be in dogfights with them with a chance to win next year.(thats what i'm hoping anyway.)

gary

Hall of Fame
It's like going on vacation every year with this team every year it's the same crap next year it's back to Disney Land.

let's go ... texans?
Hoping for an 8-8 year? LMAO. I am the last person who wants another 8-8. I eventually want my investment in this team to pay off and return something to me. Five years of being a PSL HOLDER is not cheap, and takes a lot of dedication.

Yeah, I hate this team so much I got on an airplane and flew to Green Bay last year to watch them play.

Whatever, dude.

DexmanC

Hall of Fame
thats the exact point i'm trying to make. you'll be satisfied if we make the playoff's but in reality if we win there is nothing else we can do. so if we win and make the playoff's your happy. if we win and miss kubiak should go. he has no control over that. just like he had no control over a lot of **** that happened this year.
Nice way to skew the argument into something none of us were talking
about. Making the playoffs is what this team was expected to do to start
the season. It's their own fault they have to cram for the final exam over
coffee and a desk lamp, instead of doing their homework throughout the
season.

someone was talking about rex ryan earlier. if he would of played the colts when they had something to play for they would not be in the playoff race and then i guess he should be let go. since he got a lucky break and the colts laid down for them, now he's a genous and you would probably love to have him as our coach.
If Rex were in his FOURTH year as head coach, in NEW YORK, and had
NEVER sniffed a season greater than 8-8, and had never sniffed postseason,
he WOULD be fired. What's your point?

you have to just look for and see if we are getting better or not. if we are improving and being put in positions to win. we have something. if not then we need to look elsewhere. next year if we improve a little more some of these tight games that we barely lost wont be so close. we will be able to beat these teams comfortably and some of the teams we might get beat pretty soundly by this year(sd,new orleans, minn) we will be in dogfights with them with a chance to win next year.(thats what i'm hoping anyway.)
Won/Loss record is the most BS-proof barometer to determine improvement.
It's easy to romanticize a situation when the unpleasant truth is staring you
right in the face. Again, what's your point? Every team ahead of us in the
wildcard chase does something the Texans have not done under four years
of Kubiak. They compete in their own divisions.

3-3, 1-5, 2-4, 1-5 for an overall record of 7-17 gets a coach fired if that
team strives for anything more than perennial mediocrity. That can't be
denied my friend. I believe this team CAN do better, and should ATTEMPT
to do better than four years of Kubiak.

nytexan

Waterboy
It's like going on vacation every year with this team every year it's the same crap next year it's back to Disney Land.

I'm not quite sure what you're talking about here. Let's do a Kubiak year by year flashback.
2006 Carr's last year, we were lucky to win 6 and no-one really took us seriously.
2007 We won 8 but in reality Jacksonville gave us the last game of the year. No-one really took us seriously and this was Schaub's first year.
2008 Every playoff contender kicked our butts when the season really counted and it took a great late push to get to 8-8. First year you can say we were taken seriously by most teams. The Miami and Chicago games are the only what I call legitimate games we played against good teams outside the division that we played well in. After the Pittsburgh game (1st game in) I don't think anyone looked at us as serious contenders for the playoffs but we did earn respect by the end of the season because of the Chicago win.

2009 First year we are looked at as a contender in franchise history. You can moan and groan about the year but it is what it is, the best year in franchise history. Nobody took us for granted this year. We were a legitimate opponent for everyone. Nobody blew us out in any game although yes we did look like sh*t in the Jets game. Gut wrenching losses this year?? No doubt, but to say there wasn't progress, you have to be kidding me.

You have to bring the coaching staff back for at least 1 more year. They do deserve the chance to finish this up. If you want to use a comparison of some teams making it big at least 1 year, compare us to Detroit, because that's where we were when Kubiak took over. A franchise in total disarray. We are light years ahead from those dark days, and it was done the patient way, the right way getting the vast majority of our players thru the draft.

gary

Hall of Fame
I'm not quite sure what you're talking about here. Let's do a Kubiak year by year flashback.
2006 Carr's last year, we were lucky to win 6 and no-one really took us seriously.
2007 We won 8 but in reality Jacksonville gave us the last game of the year. No-one really took us seriously and this was Schaub's first year.
2008 Every playoff contender kicked our butts when the season really counted and it took a great late push to get to 8-8. First year you can say we were taken seriously by most teams. The Miami and Chicago games are the only what I call legitimate games we played against good teams outside the division that we played well in. After the Pittsburgh game (1st game in) I don't think anyone looked at us as serious contenders for the playoffs but we did earn respect by the end of the season because of the Chicago win.

2009 First year we are looked at as a contender in franchise history. You can moan and groan about the year but it is what it is, the best year in franchise history. Nobody took us for granted this year. We were a legitimate opponent for everyone. Nobody blew us out in any game although yes we did look like sh*t in the Jets game. Gut wrenching losses this year?? No doubt, but to say there wasn't progress, you have to be kidding me.

You have to bring the coaching staff back for at least 1 more year. They do deserve the chance to finish this up. If you want to use a comparison of some teams making it big at least 1 year, compare us to Detroit, because that's where we were when Kubiak took over. A franchise in total disarray. We are light years ahead from those dark days.
I do not reply to Gary Kubiak homers 8-8 would be just the same as the other two. I am just spilling out the truth. Who's with me?

I do not reply to Gary Kubiak homers 8-8 would be just the same as the other two. I am just spilling out the truth. Who's with me?
Come on, man. Let's not pile up on the guy and be rude. He's new. His opinions may be off base, but let's try and at least make him feel welcome and that we're open to disagreeing opinions.

Just a thought.

gary

Hall of Fame
Come on, man. Let's not pile up on the guy and be rude. He's new. His opinions may be off base, but let's try and at least make him feel welcome and that we're open to disagreeing opinions.

Just a thought.
Why is it that with my post rude is an option I just do not see things that way.

Why is it that with my post rude is an option I just do not see things that way.
No, I'm just saying that the whole "who'se with me?" can scare people off. I've stopped going to some message boards because they were cliquey and not very welcoming to newcomers. Any new opinion was shot down, and usually by a dozen people who had been posting for years.

That's all I'm saying.

I agree with you about Kubiak, but we should try and be open enough to let other people have their say without it turning into a war with one side packed with soldiers and the other side struggling with a few fighters.

I've shot the guy down several times in this thread, and was likely rude myself. I'll work on that as well.