Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Why I dont think we need an RB

Grid

All Pro
Im not gonna say that its because Walker is the answer..im not too sure about that. And im not gonna say its because Dayne rocks..cause he only rocks for the last 4 games of the season...at least that has been the story for the last couple years.

But when you are in a division where the other 3 teams are in the playoffs..you have to look at your team a bit differently.

What I mean is.. we need to worry a little bit less about being a "complete team" and worry a bit more about being a team that can beat our divisional rivals. It is apparent that they are our greatest competition for a playoff spot.. and our record against division rivals this season shows that we are not able to beat them at this point.

So, looking at our team, and their teams, I have come to the conclusion that the running game should not be our biggest priority. Why? Because the defensive line of the Titans and Jaguars are too good for us to be wasting time trying to headbutt them in to submission. We have already shown that we are able to pass on them despite their great defenses, I dont think we should devote too much of our energy (and money) to getting new running backs.

Instead, we need to look at the big picture. Specifically..we need to be aware that the Jags and Titans both have incredible defensive lines.... defensive lines that are good at rushing the passer. If we are going to pass on these teams (and we certainly have the talent to do so) then we need an offensive line good enough to LET US pass on these teams when they are coming at us with their all-star Dline.

I honestly think that if we devoted a great deal of our effort and funds into the Oline.. and made a significant improvement to it.. we would be able to dominate the Titans and Jaguars next season. Because if you take away their defensive lines..they are mediocre teams.

Actually I take that back, the Titans are a mediocre team at that point, the Jaguars still have a great running attack. Which leads to my next biggest priority..the Dline and Linebackers.

The Dline? Thats right.. we need to further improve the Dline. When you look at our 3 division rivals.. you have 3 very different offensive philosophies. The Colts run a pass oriented offense that moves the ball fast.. the Jags pound the ball..and the Titans bumble around like idiots and praise VY for his pop warner skills...but they still get wins.

We need a top 5 pass rush to stop Manning, and stout run defense to stop Jacksonville.. and those two things together will bury to Titan offense.

So where does that put our priorities this offseason?

1) Oline. Id say specifically we need to address LT and Center. But any upgrades at ANY position is a good thing. We need more EVERYTHING on the line. Id like to see us with a top 10 oline next year. THIS IS THE YEAR TO FIX THE LINE..lets do it already.

2) I figure we can go one of two ways on defense.. we can either get a dominant pass-rushing DE, and a run stuffing beast of an LB..or we can try to acquire an LB that can do both the rushing, and the run stuffing. Both are pretty tall orders.. but I think we need to accomplish one or the other if we intend to win our division games next year.

So there ya have it.. our greatest needs this offseason..in a nutshell.

I know you are saying to yourself "Your an *****..we need a cornerback! We need safeties! We need a running back!" etc..etc..etc.. Yah we could definitely use help at those spots as well..especially cornerback...but thats what I was talking about at the top of this post..... if we are going to make the playoffs in this division, we HAVE to beat our divisional rivals.

The only team in our division that has a really dominant passing attack is the Colts, and a strong pass-rush will be as effective a deterrent against the Peyton Manning show as a strong cornerback would be. But the dominant pass-rush would also help us win games against the Jags and Titans.. while the cornerback, while nice to have, is not really as necessary against the weak receiving corps that they have.

See what im saying? If we can get an upgrade at CB, S, or RB..and the price is right, then im all for it.. but when it comes down to it, we need to be putting the bulk of our money, picks, and effort into the Oline, Dline, and LBs. That is what is gonna get us in to the playoffs the quickest.

We'll I've been posting this for five years welcome aboard. If someone would have given me odds that Salaam would make it 26 straight games, I would of taken the bet. Truely a remarkable feat. Inside the game, RS agrees with us. He said it. I heard him...We'll see. Been a long while since Bosselli stood at the podium and told us he was done. Always seems something else comes up every off season.

The other side of the arguement is that as long as Manning is on top of his game, he is going to be a tough out. He gets the ball out of his hands with in 2.5 seconds, I don't care who you have lined in front of the guy, getting to Manning with that kind of efficiency is damn near impossible. So either you get to him and rough him up. Or you keep him on the pine and do not make a mistake on your serve. He is perfect. And your team must be close to perfect to beat him.

I have to agree, I don't think RB is our issue, I think we have it right there with Walker, maybe a late round draft pick to the RB position can work to our favor.

A good oline can make walker look good. On top of that, a good oline can protect our QB in the pocket give him time to execute the passing pay. Ten and Jack both have good pass rushing Dlines, and also, Indy is solid with their pass rushers when freeny is on the field.

A good Dline can give us the pass rush we need in order to help our secondary. Denver is a good example of what happens to a team with no pass rush that does have a good secondary. Denver Secondary hasn't done squat. Pass rush is key to cause take aways. In this division, presser on Manning, Young, and Garrad will be need to slow these teams.

Just think if we had a Jones-Drew type back. We need a monster running back, especially for this offensive scheme. Hopefully Taylor is "that dude".

I'd like to see depth chart wise:
Taylor or drafted stud
Walker
Dayne

Edit: has anyone noticed how good Walker's vison is on the field?

the cut back on the long run yesterday was a thing of beauty and one we haven't seen enough of.
Just goes to show you what a back with mediorce quickness & speed can do
in our offense.
I'm really a big Chris Taylor fan, as he's probably a little quicker than Walker and yet also has excellent size and strength. I'm hoping he's making a real effort to rehab in the offseason after his knee injury back in the past TC
and will be ready to go in '08.

I agree that OL is our first priority. But RB is up there right after safety/CB help. Yeah we need to structure the team to beat our division opponents but we've gotta keep the defense off the field too. LT is our biggest issue and then the defensive backfield. Did you see what happened to us yesterday? That masked man that put up 285 was GRAY!!!. Manning put up 300+ last week. Gray did most of his damage against our starters. And that's without MJD and Taylor out there ripping up the turf. It wasn't all because we were 3 scores ahead either. That's been the way things are for well, since it was Glenn and Coleman in the backfield.

Mike

We go BPA at RB, LT or CB at #18 in my opinion. I am not a big fan of RB's in the 1st, but it is a glaring need. Darius Walker has earned an opportunity to compete for the starting role next year, but seriously doubt he would take it from anyone next year.

Grid, I second your thoughts. Until we get a stud o-line it doesn't matter who your running backs are. They need to beef up the LT & C in the draft first. Then see who they can pick up (w/out over paying) in FA. How long can you rely on an aging McKinney and an average of Salam.

If you look at the season at the times our coach was out coached, we are 2 games out from a Wild Card spot, which makes some of our losses that much more heartbreaking. The offseason should be interesting.

I have seen the "we don't need a RB" sentiment starting to float around recently. Yes, actually, the Texans do. With cast of characters (including a healthy Ahman Green), the Texans are nearly guaranteed to have the worst collection of RBs in the division. I am not sure that Dayne/Walker would even make the roster of any of our division foes. Greg Jones, the guy playing fullback for the Jags, is probably more talented as running back than anyone the Texans have.

As for the OL, some of you are actually underrating the performance. I can't believe i just type that, but it is true. This is not the unit that regularly was dominated a couple of years back. Do the Texans need a long term answer at LT? Yes. Do we need to figure the center position past Steve McKinney? sure. Just saying, things aren't as bad up there as is often painted.

Also, the "we don't need a RB" approach is too much either/or reasoning for my tastes. The point of the off-season is to improve you team, the entire team. Truth is I would be very disappointed, if the Texans did not address, both the RB and OL positions in some manner.

From what I've red so far, the draft is heavy on T & RB and lite on S. I'd like to see us go BPA at LT or CB in the first round. Then add RB in the third round. Like KT, I am not a big fan of RB's in the 1st.

Frankly, looking at FA, there just aren't any decent LT coming on the market next year. But I like some of the CBs.

I have seen the "we don't need a RB" sentiment starting to float around recently. Yes, actually, the Texans do. With cast of characters (including a healthy Ahman Green), the Texans are nearly guaranteed to have the worst collection of RBs in the division. I am not sure that Dayne/Walker would even make the roster of any of our division foes. Greg Jones, the guy playing fullback for the Jags, is probably more talented as running back than anyone the Texans have.

As for the OL, some of you are actually underrating the performance. I can't believe i just type that, but it is true. This is not the unit that regularly was dominated a couple of years back. Do the Texans need a long term answer at LT? Yes. Do we need to figure the center position past Steve McKinney? sure. Just saying, things aren't as bad up there as is often painted.

Also, the "we don't need a RB" approach is too much either/or reasoning for my tastes. The point of the off-season is to improve you team, the entire team. Truth is I would be very disappointed, if the Texans did not address, both the RB and OL positions in some manner.

I agree.

Dayne has done a wonderful job for us,but on an NFL scale he is average at best. Dayne is serviceable and will be with the team next season, but if we have a chance to upgrade, we need to

With cast of characters (including a healthy Ahman Green), the Texans are nearly guaranteed to have the worst collection of RBs in the division. I am not sure that Dayne/Walker would even make the roster of any of our division foes.
I think what we have now with Chris Taylor, Dayne, & if Green is semi-servicible, talent very comparable to the Titans at RB, but of course thats not saying that much.
But dang, Taylor & Maurice D-J give the Jags the best 1-2 in the league IMO,
and the Colts have a PBowler. So like everything else in this division tough, tough competition in the backfields.

We should add a RB in the draft, although not in the first round. In the first round we should take a cornerback or an offensive lineman. We should add at least one notable RB through free agency, and probably a couple of more less notable RB's. For the record, I would have classified the Darius Walker signing as a "less notable" free agent RB. If we do all of this, we go into camp with:

1. Ron Dayne
2. Ahman Green
3. Darius Walker
4. Chris Taylor
5. Draft Pick RB
6. Notable FA RB
7. Less Notable FA RB
8. Less Notable FA RB

This will give us what we need for 2008. If everything else basically works out well, hopefully we are in a position to put the icing on the cake and take a RB with our #1 draft pick in April 2009, after next season.

Then we are off to the AFC South title and Super Bowl glory. :-)

It's always a series of steps and nothing takes place in a vacuum. First comes trying to lock down our own free agents we wish to keep, then comes trying to sign other teams free agents. I expect we'll address at least two pressing needs in free agency but I have no idea which needs those will be. I'm sure it depends on who is available (which is nice because it used to depend only on things like "who was willing to come here" and "who we could afford with out tiny amount of bank").

Walker, Taylor, and Dayne all seem to be "servicable" and I think each one of them belongs in the NFL. There's a place for them at this level but on the grand scale of running backs we have to acknowledge that there are a couple of levels above each of them. These guys are like "Tier 3" running backs and we can do better than that somewhere in between the 1st and 4th rounds. We can probably do better than that in free agency as well but unless Smith & Kubiak are just absolutely positive about somebody out there I'd prefer we draft one.

can you imagine if the Texans really had a RB just how much better the Texans offense would be? both the line & QB play would upgrade performance. What you can't do is negate any position & bypass bpa when it can improve your team. Longterm success is predicated on outcoaching your opponnents & out scouting other NFL teams to secure the best possible player in the draft when you pick. if that pick just so happens to be a RB then so be it.

of course we're all hoping for a franchise LT, only one time under Casserlys rule have the Texans passed on a legitimate, known bpa OT in the draft & that was 05 (#13 N.O. Jammal Brown). Jordon Gross is a UFA he was drafted by the Panthers in 03 @ #8 (Texans #3 Andre Johnson) this would be an excellent time to pick your spot (Rick Smith) as oppossed to trading up with draft picks like the 49'ers did for Staley costing them this years #7 overall pick.

so what if Rick signs a tackle in FA? that gives him alot of options to possibly trade down & add some quality picks which translate into players who can fill needs. one of which is RB. the only way to get ahead of the competition is to beat them in every facet of the game which includes off field aquistions as well. :shades:

Put me in the camp of going with best available OT or DB in the first round. Not having a second here really hurts. Quality RBs are available later in the draft. You just need an eye for talent and a little luck to pluck them out. It doesn't work quite as well with DB's and with OT after the first and second rounds.

Our defensive backfield was a MASH unit and we needed an upgrade in talent at S before the season even started.

The O-line seems to be the bane of this organization's existence. We got passable play this year, but a FA signing and a first round draft pick devoted to the OL might do wonders for the consistency of both our running game as well as our passing game.

Go Texans

This sentiment reminds me of the one earlier in the season when our offense did well for a few games without AJ and people said, "AJ doesn't make that big a difference when we have Davis and Walters emerging." Then AJ came back and our offense was 10 times better. People THINK we don't need a RB because they have never seen us with one and think and 8-8 type team with guys who are "serviceable" are all we need. the problem is that we don't know how much rest our offense would get or whatever if you had a game breaker. I think O-line and RB are the key. The original post said you can't butt heads with the rivals..why not?The NFC East has been playing that kind of rivalry stuff for decades by knocking heads. Its how you put away games and at the same time get easy points. What we have now is a group of backups. I don't care what round it comes in but we need a RB. I'm not saying you can always get a Terrell Davis in the 6th round but if you scout well we need a guy who can change games and people are fooling themselves if they don't think we do. Again, you don't know what you don't have unless you see it first. We have never seen a true #1 so why say it isn't a need because we can get by. We saw the difference with AJ. If through FA and the draft we hit CB, OL and RB, I'll be all good.

I expect that we will upgrade the CB spot in FA (Probably not Samuals - Big $ for him) and take a OLT with the first pick and then a RB with the 3rd and a safety with the 4th (might switch those around depending on whose there). Get that done in the off season and I'm a happy camper.

I would like to see the Texans sign a starting calibur LB. Specificly Lance Briggs. After that, we need to look at our money wisely. If Sanders hits the open market, I'm taking that chance on him. He probably won't, so we can just play like he won't for now. Samuels will demand and get too much money. The Oakland CB is my target initially.

Running back is a tricky position to grade out for our team. I honestly would only add a homerun threat/speed back to the group. Someone with 4.3 speed who can get a few carries a game. I'm assuming we will transition more towards the typical Denver ZBS with Sherman's departure, meaning that we will be able to see more cutting like Walker showed. The lanes are there in the correct scheme, and speed will exploit them in a heartbeat.

ArlingtonTexan said:

The performance hasn't been great honestly. I haven't watched all of the games due to being out of broadcast areas, but I've watched the ones I can. Decreasing the number of sacks is a positive, but not always indicitive of performance. Reducing sacks can be attributed to quicker routes, shorter drops, quick releases, a QB with cajones, a RB/FB picking up a rusher last second. What I'm saying is that reducing sacks isn't the end all to imporvement. The O-Line was getting pushed back repeatedly yesterday against Jacksonville's backups. Our starters were losing the battle at the POA to second stringers. We allowed penatration straight through the A and B gaps to the DT's. I really do feel that we need an upgrade at C first and foremost on the line.

I think it would be a mistake to get another RB through FA. I think we need to use our free agent pickups on the defensive side of the ball. We all know RB don't have a long expectancy in the NFL. I don't want someone else's used goods there. It makes more sense to upgrade your line and get RB's through the draft IMO. We could make a huge difference in our team by going after any or all of the following in free agency - a great CB, S, or OLB. We definately need depth in the secondary and Oline with all the injuries we had this year and question marks that are there concerning the injured players returns next year. (Oline is another area I prefer drafting players)

Some people seem to have replied without reading my post.

My arguement wasnt that we dont need an RB, so much as "we dont need an RB to beat our divisional rivals..and beating our divisional rivals is paramount".

It doesnt matter if we have the wrost RB group in the division.. if we had the best RBs in the division we would still be struggling to win games against those run defenses.

Better to stick with our strengths and then improve upon those really KEY areas that will allow us to defeat them.. specifically protecting the QB so he can throw, improving our pass rush, and stuffing their run.

My arguement wasnt that we dont need an RB, so much as "we dont need an RB to beat our divisional rivals..and beating our divisional rivals is paramount".

It doesnt matter if we have the wrost RB group in the division.. if we had the best RBs in the division we would still be struggling to win games against those run defenses.

Better to stick with our strengths and then improve upon those really KEY areas that will allow us to defeat them.. specifically protecting the QB so he can throw, improving our pass rush, and stuffing their run.

I get what you are saying, but if we had a better RB then we could keep Manning off the field and we could help prevent the Titans from pinning their ears back and getting after the QB. I don't think we need to draft one in the first round, but we need some help there. I like Walker. I feel like he will end up being a very good number 2 RB. I wish someone could get Dayne to quit eating and take training seriously. If he could drop 20 lbs his forty time would drop as well and he would be much more efffective. He is a good inside runner, but he can't get to the corner at all and this is somewhat limiting.

See, this is what I'm not getting in your argument and what I responded to actually in my first post...we are 1-5 vs the division with the worst RBs..that seems like a good correlation. So why wouldn't an improved running game help?Their defenses aren't always going to be at the top just because of FA and injuries. Not only that, but as I pointed out, the NFC East has been pounding on each other for decades with running games and it has always been a top division. You can't make a blanket statement that we would still be struggling when we haven't seen the other side of the coin. As I said, people said we looked alright without AJ and then he came back and we were 10 times better. Better players give you more options and make the run defenses have to pause and respect the play fakes. You don't know what you could have had until you have seen it and we haven't seen a top RB.

I get what you are saying, but if we had a better RB then we could keep Manning off the field and we could help prevent the Titans from pinning their ears back and getting after the QB. I don't think we need to draft one in the first round, but we need some help there. I like Walker. I feel like he will end up being a very good number 2 RB. I wish someone could get Dayne to quit eating and take training seriously. If he could drop 20 lbs his forty time would drop as well and he would be much more efffective. He is a good inside runner, but he can't get to the corner at all and this is somewhat limiting.

And that is the best argument FOR a strong running game...keeping Manning off the field.

My reply would be that the Jaguars have the 2nd ranked running game in the league, and they lost twice to the Colts this season. The only teams that DID beat the Colts are the Patriots and Chargers (and Titans but they dont count). Both defenses have high sack totals..and a good amount of forced turnovers.

Now.. this isnt exactly a strong argument..cause the Colts really only have 2 losses for the season..and thats not a strong enough sampling to make a real valid point about what they are weak against. I could go back over the past few seasons and see if that gives a better idea..but I dont really think it is necessary.

Logic says that a strong running game would be effective against the Colts..as it would keep Manning off the field. Also, a strong pass rush and cornerbacks in order to force turnovers and get Manning back on the sidelines is an effective way of beating them.

My argument isnt that are running game is strong enough as it is.. my argument is that, while our running game COULD use improvement, I think we will get more "bang for our buck" if we focus alot more attention on improving our pass rush. A better pass rush will help us against the Colts, but it will also help us against the Jags and Titans alot more than a better rushing attack would.

See, this is what I'm not getting in your argument and what I responded to actually in my first post...we are 1-5 vs the division with the worst RBs..that seems like a good correlation. So why wouldn't an improved running game help?Their defenses aren't always going to be at the top just because of FA and injuries. Not only that, but as I pointed out, the NFC East has been pounding on each other for decades with running games and it has always been a top division. You can't make a blanket statement that we would still be struggling when we haven't seen the other side of the coin. As I said, people said we looked alright without AJ and then he came back and we were 10 times better. Better players give you more options and make the run defenses have to pause and respect the play fakes. You don't know what you could have had until you have seen it and we haven't seen a top RB.

I understand where you are coming from, and I dont entirely disagree. All im saying is that a superstar running back shouldnt be our top priority.. it really shouldnt even be in our top 5.. well...maybe as #5 behind Oline, LBs, Dline, and CBs.. but with our passing attack, and the way that Walker and Dayne have looked for us at the end of the season.. I dont think a better RB should take precedent over the MUCH more necessary needs that I listed above.

If we are going to beat our divisional rivals, we need to approach things in a different way, imo. Instead of increasing our defense against their strengths, we need to make our strengths stronger than theirs. I think that the 3 priorities I listed... if we could make great strides in those places.. we would not only be improving greatly upon the strengths of this team, but we would also be addressing alot of our weaknesses.

Sure, we arent focusing on those weaknesses that seem obvious.. but by increasing our overall "productivity"..it lessens our weaknesses. Is this just incredibly confusing?

Lemme give an example that we have all heard before. If you are weak in the defensive secondary, but pretty strong on the defensive line... you could increase the strength of your secondary and become a more balanced defense, or..you could further strengthen the defensive line, thereby increasing your ability to rush the passer and, in a roundabout way, improving your secondary.

I am saying that instead of improving those obvious weaknesses, lets increase our strengths.

If we have a better Oline, we will have better protection for Schaub which will give us a better passing attack. A better passing attack (as well as improved run blocking from our better Oline) makes our running game much more effective despite the fact that we are still using Walker and Dayne.

If we improve our run blocking, we force teams to pass in order to move the ball. If we also improve our pass rush, we make passing the ball more difficult. This forces QBs to make quicker decisions and increases the number of errant and poorly thrown passes..making it easier for our mediocre secondary to cover the receivers and increasing our amount of turnovers.

Wasn't it Mike Ditka that used to say the best defense is a good offense?

If he did he must have been drunk at the time...or high from inhaling all that mustache wax.

Mike Ditka is best known for the 1985 Bears.. considered to be one of, if not THE, best Defense of all time.

And before Peyton Manning's Colts ever went to a Super Bowl, they had the best offense in the league. It wasnt until their defense caught up with their offense that they were able to beat the Patriots and make it to a Super Bowl.

Incidentally, the reason they kept losing to the Patriots in the playoffs was because the Patriot defense would always shut Manning down.

In the NFL.. the best defense is a good defense. The best offense is one that doesn't make mistakes.

I want Jessica Simpson; doesn't mean she is available. I mean other than looks, $ and fame what does Romo have that I don't? Oh, yeah. He has Jessica. Point is what we want or even need is not what we get necessarily. At 18: Jake Long will be gone & he is more of a RT & prob doesn't fit ZBS. Ryan Clady & Sam Baker projected to be gone. Michael Oher may not come out. Gosder Cherilus may be there but is 320 and 5.14and that is reasonable for a big LT. Otah? 5.36 concerns me and do not bring up Spencer's size as we have no idea if he would have made it at LT based on less than two regular games.

RB? McFadden gone and Slaton does not fit. Stewart and Felix Jones may be there if they come out. Do you use a mid first for one of these when similar backs may be available later?

CB? More depth here if all juniors come out. But why not wait for someone like Charles Godfrey 4.38 6.0 208 from Iowa projected in 3rd or maybe 4th? Do you go hot and heavy for a good CB in Free Agency in March and save a draft selection?

Here is what I'd do based on above.

1st: If Ryan Clady available @ 18. He is the pick. If not, pray for a trade down that nets a 2nd or even a third. With lower first select RB Stewart or Felix Jones. If neither available reach for LT Chris Williams from Vanderbilt 6'6" 315 5.25 avg. Senior. Projected into 2nd round but not available where we would be if we pick up a 2nd in trade down. We have to resolved RB, LT and CB.

2nd: From trade down Mike McGlynn is only LT that might be there and if we go RB in first, he is worth a look. 6'5" 318 lbs 5.25. If no RB in 1st, maybe Chris Johnson from East Carolina. 5'11" 200lb senior that looked ok against #24 Boise (home of Ryan Clady and Ian Johnson). Stats: 223 yards rushing, 32 receiving and 153 on six kick returns. Did I mention he has 4.27 speed? Unfortunately he may not be avail at our pick in 2nd.

3rd: If no trade, I'd go with whichever I did not get in first.ALex Boone at LT is tempting.

What I think Texans will do.

Free Agency:sign a lower rated and cheaper CB.

1st Left Tackle
3rd as in no trade RB

Just think if we had a Jones-Drew type back. We need a monster running back, especially for this offensive scheme. Hopefully Taylor is "that dude".

I'd like to see depth chart wise:
Taylor or drafted stud
Walker
Dayne

Edit: has anyone noticed how good Walker's vison is on the field?

True, but we if we had a "Monster" O-line, we could make Taylor/Walker/Dayne look like last years Shaun Alexander. You need the line to open the holes, and you need the line to let the QB make his passes. You NEED a great O-line. Pick up Fargas if we need another RB, and platoon them with a Great Oline. That's what we need. I totally agree with this post. The problem is what is available? Faneca is old. Flozell will be franchised. We need to draft an LT in the first, and pray White can step up as the C of the future. Brisel is looking like he could be a beast at LG, and Winston is set. If Spencer can make a come back we could have:

1st round pick - Pitts/Spencer - White/McKinney - Brisel/Weary - Winston

That would be a great young O-line for now, but I would still like to see us draft a Center with our 2nd round pick in 2009. By doing this we can still pick up a Fargas, a big talent CB, and big talent SLB in FA. That along with a FS in the 3rd round would be one heck of a young talented team.

1st round pick - Pitts/Spencer - White/McKinney - Brisel/Weary - Winston

There's just too much that we don't know about the guys currently on our roster: Studdard, Butler, Frye, Jackson, and that center on the practice squad.

We're trying to make decisions about who to cut and who to keep and what the lineup is going to be but since we're not coaches and we aren't at the practices, we don't know how good these guys are or how good they can be. But the coaches were high on Jackson last preseason. Frye rolled his ankle in preseason and never got a chance to really work. Butler could be a real good pickup. I think we all expected good stuff from Studdard but when his opportunity came, they yanked him back out and put White in at guard. When his next opportunity came, he got hurt the play before.

As I've said before, I think we're set at guard and right tackle but the LT and the C scares me... and I'm most concerned about the C. It scared me seeing Hodgdon back in there at center at the end of the season.

I know Dayne is slow, especially getting to the hole, but I think he could actually be pretty impressive if we actually had an O-line that was so dominant that he usually had a wide open hole at the line of scrimmage that stayed open long enough for him. When this is the case, he punishes tacklers past the LOS and I can see him wearing out a lot of Ds.

Having said that, what RB wouldn't look great with that kind of line?--IF you can get one.

Yah everything is dependent upon what is actually available to us. Im just pointing out what our focus should be on. If opportunities arise that let us address these needs...we need to jump on them and attack them with all the brute force our cap space will allow for.

Back