Why don't the No. 1 overall picks play like it?

Discussion in 'College Football & the NFL Draft' started by Wolf, Apr 22, 2008.

1. Wolf

Wolf 100% Texan

I was going to put this in the draft thread, but It was interesting as far as YKW and Mario

2. Wolf

Wolf 100% Texan

3. OzzO

OzzO .. and then?

Pfft - if 1st (overall or 1st round) picks weren't paid like 7 year vets - there probably wouldn't be as much pressure. When teams gotta drop a load on potential, their hand is usually forced to see immediate results.

... and this is for any team, not just us and HWSNBN aka YKW and Mario.

4. Kaiser Toro

Kaiser Toro Native Mod

I am not surprised this is a Fox story with the first line being absolutely false. Most likely written by an intern for a blowhard columnist who straddles television, radio and print.

Hervoyel likes this.
  5. 4Texans

4Texans Hall of Fame

Exactly! DC never had the "Psych" to begin with.

6. ATXtexanfan

ATXtexanfan Site Contributor

amen brother, odd how nba rookie deals are so small yet there second deals are a burden.

7. Ole Miss Texan

Ole Miss Texan Hall of Fame

I agree with rookies (top of first specifically) get paid way too much.

I've always thought there have been a lot of 'busts' at the top of the draft because towards the top, teams are looking for super athletes, with super measurables with the highest upside.

This causes guys that are sound football players to get pushed down the board because they run their 40 yd dash 1/10 of a second slower or their vertical is 3 inches shorter, etc. Guys like Demeco Ryans get pushed down because teams are TOO focused on upside/measurables/athletics for the first round and are willing to give up on some of technique/football IQ/football skills.

This is where I think Miami did a good job in choosing Long. Really either Long would have been great. I don't think Jake Long was the best player in the whole draft, but they know (think) he's going to be an extremely solid football player. Guys like Vernon Gholston/Darren McFadden are much better athletes but that doesn't make them better football players. With the top pick and $30 million + guaranteed, you can't afford a bust. I think because of the rookie salaries at the top, teams may be turning more and more to 'safer' picks than they have in the past.

bah007 likes this.
  8. adam

adam Guero

I would say it's because no player is as great in their rookie season as the media makes number one overall picks appear. Expectations for these kids are outside the realm of reality.

9. Wolf

Wolf 100% Texan

10. Double Barrel

Double Barrel Modified Simian

Too much money is being thrown at potential. These guys have never played a down of pro football, but they come into their first training camps the highest paid player on the team.

bah007 likes this.