Why do you wear helmets in practice?

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by TwinSisters, Jun 12, 2006.

1. TwinSisters

TwinSisters Hall of Fame

With it being so freakin hot... why do they wear helmets in practice when they are not in full pads anyway?

2. Hutch13

Hutch13 List of demands

Safety First :redtowel:

3. WILLIEG

WILLIEG Veteran

It's like the first step in the overall process of having a player acclimated to eventually wearing all his gear. Next, will be shoulder pads and jersey before they move into pants loaded with thigh, knee, hip and tailbone protection.

4. Hulk75

Hulk75 Hall of Fame

Why helements?.............People like to keep there brains were they are.:cool:

5. rmartin65

rmartin65 I'm Score

It is different looking through a helmet. Takes some getting used to.

6. real

real Guest

not only that...Sometimes when you first get your helmet it doesn't fit right, and your neck isn't used to carrying the extra weight which sometimes causes headaches and stiff necks....But after a while of wearing it you get used to it

7. TwinSisters

TwinSisters Hall of Fame

whoa I was looking at pictures of people wearing helmets in practice and wondering why they wear helmets in the hot sun and then I see Ben wreck without wearing his helmet.

that's creepy man.

8. fastpitchwoof

fastpitchwoof Rookie

The way that these OTAs and mini camps are run these days it is nearly full speed anyway. Besides with all of the hand work by the linemen it helps to keep fingers out of each others eyes. Recievers, backs and QBs need to get used to seeing the ball with a mask on in front of their faces.

9. done88

done88 Veteran

Helmets are very tight on your head. When you wear them they put slight pressure on parts of your head. This pressure causes head achs and take some time to get used too. Once you start to wear them regularly for a couple of weeks you get used to them and it no longer happens. The helmets are also heavy. Your neck has to hold quite a bit more weight. When you start to get tired you muscles start to hurt incuding your neck. By wearing the helmet you are getting you neck back in shape and used to carring a helmet around. There are no real exercises that mimick wearing a helmet and actually wearing the helmet isn't hurting anything. Therefore every practice before the season starts without pads includes helmets. Once the season starts if they get a practice without pads they will usually wear basball caps because it allows the head and neck to rest.

10. powerfuldragon

powerfuldragon g'mornin to you

this entire thread was full of helments. H-E-L-M-E-T, helmet.

11. AFD1717

AFD1717 Veteran

I assumed it was to get used to seeing things through a face mask, but I had no idea about most of this stuff. This thread is quite educational.

How much longer until the season starts?

12. done88

done88 Veteran

Thank You I was in a hurry

13. U4ikrob

U4ikrob Guitar Junky

Man that reminds me of my first time at football practice in high school - Sheesh what a headache!!! Playing with a helmet was truly strange the first few times until your eyes adjust and you see thru the grill clearly.

14. TwinSisters

TwinSisters Hall of Fame

Ah yes... that's right I see no helmets with pads during the season too. I guess I can understand the splitting of developing/conditioning then. It just seemed odd looking at it.

The safety issue: I thought about that first, but then you don't get a lot head cuts when you play flag football. I don't think they do that much tackling in the first camps ( without pads ).

15. powerfuldragon

powerfuldragon g'mornin to you

it wasn't just you. :D

16. Texans_Chick

Texans_Chick Utopian Dreamer

Today they dint wear helmets:

www.houstontexans.com news

17. CloakNNNdagger

CloakNNNdagger Site Contributor

..........and to get them more comfy with wearing them on those special occasions....................like when riding their MURDERCYCLES!:crutch:

18. infantrycak

infantrycak Mod. Staff Member

Interesting decision by Kubiak. Not only is he cutting this session short (which a lot of teams probably do as a reward) but he is not going to take advantage of the extra mini-camp the Texans could hold because he is a new head coach. I hope that is really a reflection of how the players have been performing and their progress rather than just a management ploy to express confidence and therefore build player confidence.

19. U4ikrob

U4ikrob Guitar Junky

Same thing I was thinking when I read that story I-Cak. Personally I would have taken the extra sessions and used em for more tutoring of focus players like DC, Rosenfell, the WR corp and RB's on plays in the playbook and variations.

But I also understand the whole "Time to digest and apply" arguement from a players standpoint. Its hard to apply everything your reading all at once when things are new - I call it soaking in time.

My hunch is with a few of the starting unit allready banged up, perhaps he wanted to make sure all the potential "Starting players" got a little extra rest/extra time to go over the playbook and helping to make sure as many players can be healthy enough to participate in full on training sessions in July to evaluate everyone before he starts making some serious roster cuts.

I have a hunch Kubes sent them all home early with some "Summer School" homework for the next month too esp David Carr.

20. Tex Trenches

Tex Trenches Veteran

Would you put a helmet on your child when he or she is ridding a bike with trainning wheels?