Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Why do we only win when there is no pressure?

nut

Veteran
After losing 4 in a row when we were 5-3, a streak of meaningless wins is a bad joke. This is standard modus operandi every year with Kubiak.

or how about this crazy idea: the 3 teams (colts x 2) we lost to are much better than the hawks?!

I was thinking about this today.. Bob McNair should ban the word "Playoffs" from use by the coaching staff, players and local media .... Everytime that word gets thrown around ,over the years, this team goes into a funk.

just like the little kid that wants to hang out with the big boys only to find out the Playoff Club will only allow 21 and up to enter

You think there was no pressure today? The Texans played like a team that knew that there was pressure on them. Today they passed with flying colors. Kubiak coached like he was under pressure. In the end, I don't think Kubiak will be here even if we win out to finish the season. But make no mistake, there was a lot of pressure today on the players and coaching staff today. They absolutely had to come out and play well and win.

the acceptance of mediocrity has to stop. the same people who are happy and content with 8-8 are probably the same people who think that all kids should get a trophy for sportsmanship in pop warner!
in the words of mike singletary
I WANT WINNERS!!!!

who is happy with 8-8?

I sure the hell aren't but I have accepted the fact that this team is staying home for the 2nd season

You think there was no pressure today? The Texans played like a team that knew that there was pressure on them. Today they passed with flying colors. Kubiak coached like he was under pressure. In the end, I don't think Kubiak will be here even if we win out to finish the season. But make no mistake, there was a lot of pressure today on the players and coaching staff today. They absolutely had to come out and play well and win.

Com on' they played seattle. Pressure????? I don't think so

Because there is no preassure......

Sorry, but I think your question is the answer. This team needs the confidence it had when it was 5 and 3, but it needs it all year. Maybe by next year this team will realize it can win. It's like Circus Elephants, they chain them to a stake as babies, when they can't pull out the stake, and by the time the're adults they "think" they can't pull up the stake. This cracks under the pressure because it lacks confidence.

This team needs a shrink!!!!!

Kubiak should have stuck with David Carr IMO. They both shine brightest in garbage time.

I have no doubt that Matt Schaub will finish the season with the most passing yards in the NFL. He's less than a hundred yards behind the leader. Garbage time is exactly right.

I don't know why they don't win more game, but I don't consider this garbage time in December. The Texans are still playing live games, even if they aren't going to the playoffs. I still enjoy my Sundays watching them. True Garbage Time begins in February when the only football to watch is repeats of games on NFLN.

Without Owen Daniels the Texans are average offensively, plus Steve Slaton, please. playmakers make or break games & they lack depth if key player's get hurt, also see last year when Andre had his knee issue first half of season. This organization needs to continue to build & develop talent. One great offseason via free agency along with the draft could be enough to put us over the top. oh yeah, there is such a thing as luck involved :turtle:

Honestly, I think most of it IS the stiffness of the competition. However, some of it is the coaching sucking donkeys when it really matters. Besides which, we should not STILL be so badly under .500 in our division, even as tough as it is. 1-5 in our division is inexcusable. Under the circumstances, .500 within it would have been great, and I could have lived with 2-4....barely.

You guys crack me up. 8-8 is good enough I guess.

I'm just going to keep screaming this. "Texans, where mediocre happens.....and is accepted." The more I've debated the more it is my number one "Fire Kubes" point. Fans need to set a new standard. Not "looking good at .500." Not "maybe next year....AGAIN...because a TE got hurt."(injuries happen..Colts defense) Not "but this is alot better than before. Teams aren't making us a "W." Not, "but we lose by less now." The standard for every NFL team and coach should be playoffs and SB. They have been given the talent. The stats have grown. Yet there is nothing to show for it. That is on one person...coach. I honestly think that most "keep Kubes" arguments hurt their position. Rise up and get a new standard!! Because they current one is defeatist.

We play NICE!! Until we develope a KILLER instinct we will remain mediocre. Not ONE player on our team gives 100% for half a game. They're like a bunch of little kids who need positive strokes from their mommy or they will cry.

We play NICE!! Until we develope a KILLER instinct we will remain mediocre. Not ONE player on our team gives 100% for half a game. They're like a bunch of little kids who need positive strokes from their mommy or they will cry.

I like it!!!:goodpost:

So true!

Let's see, the Texans were 5-3 at the midpoint. Then very unfortunately they LOST THEIR PRIMARY OFFENSIVE WORKHORSE TIGHT END just before a crucial division game.

For that said division game, there were the unbeaten, still unbeaten, Indy Colts who pretty much threw a multiple wrench into the gears.

Oh, and this was a two-in-next-three-games affair against the Hoosierheads. Who else has done a better job against the Indy Colts to this point? The point where the Colts are 13-0 with their spot wrapped up and in position to now rest players if they choose?

Tough teams like the Titans and Jags were the nuts and bolts thrown in for good measure during the 4 game skid.

I think the Texans learned a lot from that close Titans loss...and hey, regarding the disjointed start to the Jags game where the Texans at least came back to compete once Schaub returned...those types of games will happen to good teams now and then. It's the NFL.

I'm sorry, but our Texans are not better than the Colts at this time and I'm not going to necessarily throw our team under the bus for the losses. They gave Indy some damn good punches in those games but I'm not going to want the head coach or certain players fired (except perhaps the kicker) on account of those losses.

So, the Seattle Seahawks are not the level of competition as the Indy Colts, Tennessee Titans and even Jax Jags.

The Texans still have to play their games...whether the grumps like it or not, get some good work in before next year.

And the Seahawks were coming off a two game winning streak. So I'm not down on this Texans convincing thrashing of Seattle.

I'm not going to be cynical about the rest of the season, regardless of how it turns out. They have proven to possess a big time legit offense and now there's a hard hitting defense coming along nicely.

Every year has the opportunity to be different. I don't give a crap about two prior 8-8 seasons. Next year has the opportunity to have a different script, especially with the way the Houston Texans have solidified themselves as an offensive juggernaut with an improving slamming defense to complement. These are definitely not the Texans of last year as far as that's concerned.

Every year has the opportunity to be different. I don't give a crap about two prior 8-8 seasons. Next year has the opportunity to have a different script, especially with the way the Houston Texans have solidified themselves as an offensive juggernaut with an improving slamming defense to complement. These are definitely not the Texans of last year as far as that's concerned.

Yeah, did you copy and paste this from last year at this time. :slapfight:

Stop using OD as an excuse. I already showed what happened to the Colts defense without their best players and they still win.

http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1318918&postcount=17

The Texans are who we thought they were.

It just makes me laugh when the Texans hype machine comes around. This could be "the year" guys. But then reality sinks in and expectations become fighting for a wild card and another 8-8 season.

One last thing, Brandon Marshall > Andre Johnson. The NFL record books agree, I mean how many times has he played the Colts? 10-12. But leave it to Marshall to show how it should be done......

It just makes me laugh when the Texans hype machine comes around. This could be "the year" guys. But then reality sinks in and expectations become fighting for a wild card and another 8-8 season.

One last thing, Brandon Marshall > Andre Johnson. The NFL record books agree, I mean how many times has he played the Colts? 10-12. But leave it to Marshall to show how it should be done......

IF AJ had been thrown the ball half as much as BM then I'm sure he would show how it should be done also.

oh yeah, BM with his whopping 9 ypc. He caught 10 more passes for a huge 7 yards more than AJ. Was HWSNBN tossing dump offs to him?

How big are those 2 losses to Jax now? Or the Monday Nighter to the Tacks? If we got a one W in any of those 3 games we would be in the thick of the playoff race, any 2 and we are in the driver's seat for a wild card.

This team just can't win when it matters, and we can't win in our division. Until we can handle business in our division this cycle is destined to be repeated. Meaningless wins in December narrowly effect draft position and that's about it. Don't ge me wrong, I am glad we won, I hope we win out, but more than anything I want our wins in December to MATTER!!!!

Prior to season, I had predicted 7-9 as very possible. I thought the team would have been much better and playing differently. I had posted that injuries could play another huge roll and so far they have.

Prior to season, I had predicted 7-9 as very possible. I thought the team would have been much better and playing differently. I had posted that injuries could play another huge roll and so far they have.

The bolded is pretty much every team, every season and that's why good quality depth can make or break your season.

You were bordeline on this until you took that leap WAYYY off the deep end with the Brandon Marshall comparison. Good luck with that one. :rolleyes:

Why do we only win when there is no pressure?

What about when they beat the Titans early this season and the Bengals? I remember those being pressured filled games before and when they happened. If we had lost either one of those games earlier this year, we would of had another horrible start to the season.

Yes, I would like them to win more games when the "pressure" is on, however to say they never win when there is pressure is kinda ridiculous. IMO - the pressure to win is on in every game.

What a joke. Marshall is better than AJ? At what?

Beating women relentlessly?
Getting into trouble with the police?
Getting suspended from the the league?
Getting suspended by the team for acting inappropriately at practice?

Marshall might have AJ in those categories, but other than that, he's not even close. No GM nor any analyst would say that either. Marshall is a great WR, but he's got a ton of baggage constantly and will end up getting suspended again. He's one mere incident away from an 8 gamer.

And you point towards one great game of his with 21 receptions to try and make your case? Keep stroking baby. You might get one in bounds at some point. Look at the numbers from the past two seasons and Johnson clearly is the better WR. There is only a few WR's in the NFL that can compare to Johnson and that is Calvin, Fitz, and Wayne. No one else is in the same category at all.

After losing 4 in a row when we were 5-3, a streak of meaningless wins is a bad joke. This is standard modus operandi every year with Kubiak.

Because very few of the people in the front office, coaching staff and players have ever been on a winning team, in their current role.

No pressure to realistically play for a playoff spot. Pressure to play for pride or towards another 8-8 season maybe.

Nothing like a "big win" against a bad 5-7 team to make the keep Kubiak club something to work with.

Without Owen Daniels the Texans are average offensively, plus Steve Slaton, please. playmakers make or break games & they lack depth if key player's get hurt, also see last year when Andre had his knee issue first half of season. This organization needs to continue to build & develop talent. One great offseason via free agency along with the draft could be enough to put us over the top. oh yeah, there is such a thing as luck involved :turtle:

Look if the staff and offense didn't feel that Dressen was a capable enough PRIMARY backup to OD they should've made a move. Same with getting Slaton help at the RB spot.

They continue to build a better starting roster but, also continue to keep starters who drag portions of the team down. I keep feeling like it's one step forward and one step back with this team.

Back