Why do we keep beating ourselves? ? ?

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by thunderkyss, Jan 24, 2010.

1. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

This is a question for the Sunshine Klub... I know what you Soapers think.

But Sunshine Klub (the K makes it kewl), how long have we been saying that WE are losing these games. That our boneheaded mistakes are costing us games?

I remember that's what we said last year, and the year before.

What needs to happen?

2. Goatcheese

Goatcheese Nightmare Over

They need to get stronger up front. Smithiak can have linemen who weigh 180lbs. for all I care, as long as they aren't getting pushed around.

Our super athletic O-line got 3 kicks blocked, and countless runs blown up in the backfield.

Change that and you add atleast 2 wins. Find a kicker who isn't embarrassingly bad and you'll add 2 more.

3. Yankee_In_TX

Yankee_In_TX Dance Lindsay!

QFT. After I think the AZ game I was so ticked and posted this (sorry, there were SO many games where we failed to get 1 yard not sure which...). We got pushed back didn't get a first or TD and lost. That week our coaches said:

1. When we need one yard bunching our players and going up the middle is our best play and;

2. Our linemen are undersized, they're athletic and finesse - they're not made for power

HTF do those comments NOT completely contradict each other?

4. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

Yes they do contradict each other. Classic Kubes

5. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

I was speaking more specifically to the bone headed plays where we fumble the ball away, throw an INT in the red zone, drop INTs, etc... Rosencopter... you know where we just screw the pooch and gift wrap the games for the other team.

6. ATXtexanfan

ATXtexanfan Site Contributor

Young and dumb?

7. SteveSlaton20

SteveSlaton20 All Pro

8. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

I should have known better.

Lesson learned.

9. TheRealJoker

TheRealJoker Hall of Fame

We aren't a clutch team. I hope that changes with experience but that's the fact. We had a clutch kicker until the team was good enough to start winning meaningful games, then he got the yips.

We don't have the interior OL to push the pile in the running game, the coaches were too slow to insert Foster at RB so we don't know if we've got an answer at power back either.

We don't have a ballhawk in the secondary so clutch takeaways are scarce, which is what this team needs to beat elite teams without a clutch kicker or short yardage running game.

I hope our first round pick solves either of the short yardage running game problem or the need for a ballhawk in the secondary. I wouldn't mind using a draft pick at some point to see if we can get a clutch kicker in here either, or at least someone who will put enough pressure on Brown to make him go back to his 07 Dolphins game form.

10. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

I'll go one step farther.

We don't have any play-makers on the defensive side of the ball, save Cushing.

Pollard is a good player, so is Mario & Antonio Smith, & Demeco.

But we don't have a Ray Lewis, an Ed Reed, a Derryl Revis... we've got players that make plays, but we don't have any play makers.

11. Scooter

Scooter Funky

outside of our hero CHKris brown, i think many of our problems are lack of experience. that doesnt encompasses all of the problems we had, but it makes things difficult and then dominoes into other mistakes. things such as leaning too heavily on the few veterans that we do have to win games, or coaches getting overly creative (or conservative), or the young players struggling to balance motivation, intensity, and discipline. very few times this season did i feel like the opposing team was taking us out of the game or just plain beating us in any area. my memory's pretty bad but i dont remember that being the case these last couple of seasons where against teams like baltimore and pittsburgh and even within our division we were obviously outmatched.

like every team there are a lot of factors in every win and loss, and holes to be filled during the offseason, but our more costly areas are relatively easy to fix and some will fix themselves with time.

12. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

Just to clarify, from your recollection, we were out matched against Indy, Pittsburgh, and Baltimore?

We split the games with Tennessee & Jacksonville, so we must have been close, right?

Then we lost pretty badly, I mean it was embarrassing, to Oakland.

We lost by a touchdown to Minnesota... I didn't even get to watch that game, so I don't know what happened.

Interesting.

13. CloakNNNdagger

CloakNNNdagger Site Contributor

Our stadium intro on the big screen characterizes our Texans as MIGHTY BULLS.

As this game has evolved with bigger and bigger and stronger and stronger players, a team based mainly on finesse these days is nothing more than a sad archaic anachronism...............destined to be thrown around like a rag doll...........and ultimately rewarded by taking it in the ass.

[​IMG]

14. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

In what way would you say our offensive line is different from the Indianapolis Colts offensive line?

The "sad archaic anachronism........ destined to be thrown around like a rage dall.... and ultimately rewarded by taking it in the ass." Indianapolis Colts Super Bowl appearing offensive line?

15. CloakNNNdagger

CloakNNNdagger Site Contributor

The Colts OL plays strong (they don't get thrown around) besides Manning being a 1 in a million exception QB. The Colts are an anachronism not because of their OL, but because they have an Iron Man behind them.

16. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

I laughed almost as much as I did watching Favres career end on anther INT.

Very funny stuff

17. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

So you're saying back in the day, they taught the OL to get pushed around.

That it isn't the size of our OL, but their demeanor? They choose to play the game they way they did back in the 90s... getting pushed around and all?

18. Carr Bombed

Carr Bombed Hall of Fame

Jeff Saturday >>> Chris Myers.

You can start there. Most of our problems start in the middle of the line.

19. houstonspartan

houstonspartan Hall of Fame

Yep

20. Carr Bombed

Carr Bombed Hall of Fame

and I hope for RealJoker's sake that we become a clutch team, so he won't have to be so "clutch". :chicken:

poor guy :)