Why Do I feel Disappointed For Some Reason?

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by sluggo832004, Dec 30, 2018.

1. Porky

Porky Hall of Fame

I'm mostly critical of BOB based on the merits or lack therof that I see, but I have given him a lot of credit for righting the bus that was in the ditch after 3 games. Of course, that's somewhat offset because BOB was driving the bus and was largely responsible for ditching it in the first place. Kudos to him that he was able to hook a wench up to it and get it back on the road, but it's hard for me to give a ton of credit to the driver who ran it into the ditch in the first place.

Until BOB grows a set and becomes less meek, gets his time management and other in game issues corrected and he hires a real OC that can draw up something more imaginative and truly take advantage of the weapons in house, I'll probably continue to be a critic.

* Asterisk time. No I'm not wanting him to be fired. He's done enough to get another year. But I do want changes. And no, it's idiotic to think I, or any other fan wants the team to fail just to get rid of the coach. I hope he goes 19-0 and hoists the trophy every year and would love nothing better to sit down to a huge plate of crow.

2. Uncle Rico

Uncle Rico Pro BS'er

Apart from Justin Reid who looks like an NFL starter to you from last years draft class?

3. JB

JB Old Curmudgeon

Coutee/ Thomas/ Daniel/Rankin down the line perhaps... 8 months is awfully short-sighted to make a career judgement

4. Uncle Rico

Uncle Rico Pro BS'er

Daniel was an undrafted free agent, but sure I'll give you that one great punter. +1 Gaine.
    Jordan Thomas? Maybe Gaine should tell Billy to use him more then?
    Rankin? Nope. Seen enough of him already. Loved him out of college, doesnt have the feet or the strength to compete at this level, but yea we should wait 3 years for him to develop.
    Coutee - sigh. Maybe. Missing a whole year to hamstring injuries doesnt really promote a feeling of confidence moving forward, but I guess it was just a fluke year and we can expect him to be a productive player next year? or the year after that OR THE YEAR AFTER THAT as you would propose.

Patience is a virtue I will give you that.

5. Texas Jake

Texas Jake All Pro

QTs lack of availability I would put more on medical mishandling than anything else. He was rushed back too soon.

steelbtexan likes this.
  6. Uncle Rico

Uncle Rico Pro BS'er

Perhaps, I've got a post in to Doc to expound on why it was so severe and what the future looks for a guy who misses the whole year with soft tissue stuff. I honestly cant remember a player missing so much time to hamstring pulls.

7. infantrycak

infantrycak Admin & Mod Staff Member

The answer is going to be they kept bringing him back too quickly. Maybe if they had waited 2-3 more weeks the 1st time there would have been no recurrence.

CWTexansFan, Mr teX, frethack and 2 others like this.
  8. Uncle Rico

Uncle Rico Pro BS'er

Maybe. So next year if/when he pulls it again we need to make sure he is kept out longer ... and the year after .. and the year after? Fuller pulled his hamstring last year and this year too no? Just strange. Maybe the Texans should fire their strength and conditioning coach .. again. Seems like the one they hired at the beginning of the year has bolted to Tennessee. Maybe a good sign?

9. NitroGSXR

NitroGSXR Super Sic #58

Deshaun Watson is a great player but this whole “Cut your throat, shooting arrows, wiping your nose” ain’t his forte. I wish he’d stop altogether. Stick to quarterbacking.

10. Shishkabob

Shishkabob Hall of Fame

I'm really hoping since he has never had this issue before it's a one off thing, and just kept lingering because the Texans medical staff is pretty incompetent.

Jordan Thomas I think can develop into a very good TE in this league, TE's have been a position with probably the least immediate return in recent years, also doesn't help that we have to normally have him glued to Lamm's hip though

I too was a fan of Rankin during the draft, and I still think he can make a solid guard for us. He looked fairly solid being put there considering he had never played the position before. Might be an excuse, but rookie's coming in spend none of the offseason really getting better at football, they spend it getting better at the tests the NFL thinks are necessary to prove you can play. Then pretty much as soon as he was drafted and could begin to work on actual football, he got injured and missed the remainder of the offseason. So I'm not ready to write him off yet, but it has been a disappointing first season, especiall considering how much help we need on the line

11. Shishkabob

Shishkabob Hall of Fame

How is it not his forte? He has been doing it ever since I watched him play at Clemson, seems like that is his personality

you're kind of seemingly like that grumpy old guy "well we didn't do that back in my day, these kids should be clean shaven, buzz cuts, and knock off all this damn having fun nonsense"

12. Uncle Rico

Uncle Rico Pro BS'er

Just for comparison sake in the terms of time necessary to estimate drafting skill and productivity take our opponent tomorrow the Indianapolis Colts:

https://twitter.com/Andy_Fenelon/status/1081261412897370112

[​IMG]

This was a draft report card from an expert analyst ... what actually occurred in one draft for the Colts?.

https://twitter.com/NFLDraft/status/1081245550110900224

This was Chris Ballards FIRST draft by the way. Not too shabby. (Yes people I know poor Brian Gaine didnt have any top picks to work with - explain the rest of the draft to me then)

I understand being optimistic you guys make sense, I dont quite understand why it takes so long to be able to see who will be a player and who wont. Why are we drafting players that we wont use?

13. Shishkabob

Shishkabob Hall of Fame

because how many times have we seen a player look dominant his rookie year only to fade into obscurity and be out of the league when that deal is done? Flip side how many times have people declared a player a bust after year 1 or 2, only to have that player turn their career around and become all-pro pro bowl caliber? It happens often enough to know a players first season doesn't make or break his career. DB was awful as a rookie, but then developed into our teams best lineman ever, and one of the leagues best LTs. Reem didn't look like he belonged in the league his rookie year, but has developed into a solid DB.

Not every person is the same in their learning and development, and neither are players. Some take time to adjust, others come out and dominate right away but than can't adjust when the league learns how to play them

14. frethack

frethack Veteran

Just some highlights from our team:

Steve Slaton (one year wonder)
    Brian Cushing (injury ravaged and PED enhanced)
    Kareem Jackson (took a couple of years to develop)
    Derek Newton (see above)
    Brooks Reed (good for a bit then expendable)
    Whitney Mercilus (took a couple of years to develop)
    Kevin Johnson (promising his first year, then...)
    Jadeveon Clowney (ravaged by grass trays, looked like a bust, then he REALLY turned it on)

These are a few players that I feel either had a slow start, due to injury or learning curve, and picked up their game to be competent starters over the subsequent seasons, or players that had a fast start and fell off after the first season or two.

For the most part, you can tell who is going to be a gamer, but dont really know their ceiling for a few seasons. However, there are always those that are either a pleasant surprise or a disappointment from most draft classes. As an example, I thought 2011 was a great draft after the first year, but we really only came out of it with 99 and Newton, who I LEAST expected to develop after the first year.

thunderkyss and OptimisticTexan like this.
  15. disaacks3

disaacks3 Site Contributor

That's him! *ducks*

:rofl:

NitroGSXR likes this.
  16. Texazan

Texazan Our HOF 34

Get off my lawn damn it!!!

CWTexansFan likes this.
  17. dream_team

dream_team Hall of Fame

Hamstring injuries are tough to judge. For all we know, Coutee and Dr's said he's good to go, but the coaches DID hold him back another 2-3 weeks? You eventually need to put him on the field to truly test it.

18. Shishkabob

Shishkabob Hall of Fame

What's the saying with hamstring injuries? Wait until you are ready to go, and then wait a few more weeks? or something like that

19. dream_team

dream_team Hall of Fame

I still believe Coutee is a stud and will be starting receiver next season (pending health of course).

I think we got a starting TE out of Thomas or Akins, I actually like them both. I have no clue why BOB still gives Griffin majority of the snaps? I have no clue why we don't utilize our TEs in the receiving game more?

I think Rankins will be a starting guard in this league.

I think Ejiofor will be a situational pass rusher, but has a ceiling to be a starter.

JB and OptimisticTexan like this.
  20. Mr teX

Mr teX Hall of Fame

Ballards draft isn't the norm. Even Smith lucked into 1 of those in 2006. Obviously most of his other drafts were largely a factory of sadness outside of his 1st rounders...which everyone gives him credit for nailing more often than not.

What makes Gaine's last draft truly remarkable is he potentially got the same type of haul as Ballard without nearly the same draft capital. Forget not having a 1st, he didn't even have a 2nd & we still snagged 6 legit potential really good starters & big time contributors.

Reid - already a starter & big time contributor

Rankin - most likely starting guard of the future & I think will be good once he gets a healthy offseason under his belt & guys around him that are better.

J Akins / J Thomas - can easily see Griffin being sent his walking papers for 1 of these guys to be the starter while the other is a major contributor in the pass game when called upon. We saw how Fido's production grew as he improved his blocking and route running. Expect the same from 1 of these guys who have much more raw ability than Fido ever had.

Coutee - already has shown he can play in this league and most likely starting 3rd option at WR in 2019.

Ejiofor - has shown flashes in limited opportunities & is most likely the guy in line to replace Mercy at the SLB...in which he is more of a natural pass rusher than Mercy. We could also see him replace Clowney while Clowney moves over to SLB.

As far as your other assertion about us not using them...not really true considering: #1, 3-4 out of those 6 guys have all started a game this year at 1 point or another & #2, they are being used or in the case of the Jordans, just not in the way everyone would like to see them being used........in which case, there's a reason for that.

CWTexansFan, JB and OptimisticTexan like this.