why didn't we use the shotgun?

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by Wolf, Jan 4, 2007.

1. Wolf

Wolf 100% Texan

http://www.humankinetics.com/products/showexcerpt.cfm?excerpt_id=4058

I seriously doubt an NFL team would have to worry about a center (NFL caliber) being able to snap a ball to a QB in the shotgun formation.. I find that to be too hard to believe..

I wish I could have found another site and about the workings of the shotgun, but after yahooing a few links this the best I could find.

2. TexansSeminole

TexansSeminole Hall of Fame

Everybody knows why.

3. Battle Red Flash

Battle Red Flash Veteran

Shotgun?
    Texans can't handle the blitz, and Carr not smart enough.
    That's what I think.

4. HoustonFrog

HoustonFrog Dallas Frog

I'll break it down

1) Too complicated for Carr and

2) It confused Carr

Marino, Manning and many others use it without a hitch.

5. Wolf

Wolf 100% Texan

I was trying to figure out what Fresno states offensive philosophy was back then and how I almost feel the Texan staff ruined David..

http://gobulldogs.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/hill_pat00.html

I am still trying to find the offensive philosophy FSU employed back then.

6. the wonger need food

the wonger need food Hall of Fame

This is from the KHOU website... Very confusing because Kubiak states that Flanagan did it well, yet they rarely ran it when he was playing. It sounds like he's trying to divert attention away from Carr again. I remember reading something last year about how he can't take his eyes off of the defense without everything spinning out of control in his mind.

http://www.khou.com/sports/texans/stories/khou061214_cc_mcnairbackskubiak.ce2ece2.html

OUT OF THE SHOTGUN:@ Kubiak was evasive early in the week about why he avoids putting Carr in the shotgun formation. On Thursday, he said it depends on how quickly center Drew Hodgdon, a second-year pro who began the season as the backup, masters the longer snaps.

Hodgdon has started two games since veteran Mike Flanagan was placed on injured reserve with a rib injury.

"Flanagan did it well," Kubiak said. "If you don't have confidence in it, you just come up under center and do the same thing. Really, it all depends on how Drew handles it."

Kubiak said Monday he'd like to use the formation more to protect Carr better. Carr has been sacked 36 times this season.

"When your quarterback is getting pressured, you'd love to move him back there, you'd love to give him more time," Kubiak said. "We've got some things we've got to work out and we have been working on them and if we can get them fixed, you may see us do it some more."

7. Honoring Earl 34

Honoring Earl 34 Hey Koolaid

I read or heard that the coaches are trying to slow Carr down . When he's in the shotgun he goes even faster .

8. the wonger need food

the wonger need food Hall of Fame

College ain't the pros and there have been many a great college QB fail miserably in the NFL. The coaching staff certainly didn't help Dave, but they can't take all of the blame.

9. TexansSeminole

TexansSeminole Hall of Fame

It's okay...its just item # 2345 that need a fixin' in Carr's brain.

10. Wolf

Wolf 100% Texan

that is very true, but watching David over the years,he's regressed, his long ball is a shotput now ... among other things

11. phan1

phan1 All Pro

I remember him playing out of the shotgun for a bit in the Browns game. We were also in it on a 3rd and short and I'm saying to myself "Shotgun on 3rd and short? That's gotta be a QB draw. There's no way in hell Kubiak is actually going to let him throw it on 3rd and short." Kubiak really doesn't have much faith in Carr.

12. big sarge

big sarge Veteran

SHOTGUN?? SHOTGUN?? R u guys serious. He can't hit anything with a football. What makes you think he can hit anything with a shotgun...lol...j/k

13. Texian

Texian Hall of Fame

When McKinney stepped in at center, (Indy and Cleveland) Texans used the shotgun.

14. coachdent

coachdent Veteran

This is what makes this site unbearable at times... Just a ridiculous comment. There is nothing to complicate matters and nothing to confuse in the shotgun. MANY West Coasts teams simply do not like the shotgun because they feel it disrupts their timing passing game. So save your Carr shots for other parts of the board. This is just gratuitous on your part. I like jokes just as much as the next guy...but c'mon frog!

15. coachdent

coachdent Veteran

They were and are a spread offense team. They used the shotgun when Carr was there.

16. Mr. White

Mr. White H-Town Beatdown

Here's a thread I started a few weeks ago about it.

Kubes had a reason, but he wanted to keep it in-house.

17. NEROtheZERO

NEROtheZERO Veteran

In all fairness, Kubiak, himself, has stated that we don't run shotgun due to personell issues. It has nothing to do with scheme.

18. ATX

ATX Hall of Fame

Ha something just crossed my mind. We should have had a set with Pittman long snapping it back to Carr 15 yards back. That should have given DC plenty of time.

19. nunusguy

nunusguy Hall of Fame

I dunno, but I think that was in reference to Drew Hogdon when he was playing center for a few games, as apparently Drew was inexperienced
    at snapping the ball deep to the QB when in the shotgun.

20. coachdent

coachdent Veteran

I was responding to the nasty comments directed at Carr. It doesn't have to do with intelligence, being complicated or confusing. That is nonsense.

Donovan McNabb does not go into the gun. West Coast.
    For years, Favre did not go into the gun. West Coast.
    Joe Montana did not use the shotgun. West Coast.

The list is is larger, but there is no way anyone is going to question those quarterbacks for not being comfortable in the gun or question their intelligence. That is ridiculous.

Now having said that...I do think we SHOULD use the shotgun! Carr should be made to adapt. I don't think it is much of an adaptation anyway because he played out of the gun in college and only threw for almost 5,000 yards and 46 touchdowns in his senior season.

Carr does have legs and he can use them. I was very excited in one game when we put him in the gun and emptied the backfield and Carr went on a QB run for 12 yards. He is a spread offense guy and this is the system he would most flourish in. I will tell you this...if you put David Carr in the Tennessee Titan offense, he will put up MUCH better numbers than he did this year in Houston. I will also tell you this... if you put Vince Young in the Houston system this year, he would NOT have put up the same numbers he did in Tennessee. This is not a comparision of the two.

This is saying that the spread offense highlights quarterbacks with legs. It simplifies reads. The West Coast is far more complex, far wordier and less explosive than spread offenses.

Note to VY lovers...read the above comments carefully! I am NOT saying Carr is better than Young. Relax. Not so. Trying to explain why not much has been done with our offense to highlight Carr's attributes instead of just ripping him for his inadequacies. That's not how you coordinate. That's not how you deal with your quarterbacks.

ramair6 likes this.