why aren't we interviewing?

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by Silver Oak, Jan 6, 2008.

1. Silver Oak

Silver Oak Hall of Fame

We have a vacancy in the OC position, and there are plenty of good candidates out there...why aren't we interviewing?

Cameron, Garrett, Caldwell, et al.

Should we take this as a sign the Texans are going to promote Shanahan? Even if that's true, it certainly wouldn't hurt to hear others opinions and possible changes they would make.

2. mexican_texan

mexican_texan Furry Tractors

Probably want to wait until the playoffs are done with.

3. Wolf

Wolf 100% Texan

I read somewhere that shanahan was interviewed or going to be interviewed along with the UCLA coach(darnell?)

4. Silver Oak

Silver Oak Hall of Fame

probably just a knee jerk reaction by me after reading what other teams are doing, but I don't want to see us settle for something other than the best fit for the team.

5. Maddict5

Maddict5 Hall of Fame

QFT except the ucla guys name but i cant think of it either:)

im fine with either because it will be kubiak's denver offence we'll hopefully see.. not the hybrid thingy we've had

6. Htownsportsfan

Htownsportsfan All Pro

It could be with Sherman gone Kubiak wants the Offensive play calling duties. If thats than you can forgaet a high profile OC, they usually end up on a team with a "D"oriented HC.

Silver Oak likes this.
  7. TexansFight

TexansFight All Pro

We should be interviewing DC as well. Rex Ryan would be great here.

8. mexican_texan

mexican_texan Furry Tractors

I doubt it happens, but maybe he could make Weaver useful again. Weaver and Demps are former Ravens under Ryans.

9. ObsiWan

ObsiWan Site Contributor

Two Questions:

1) Any rumors about who might be on our "short list" for offensive coordinator?

2) Any reason to believe that Kubiak will look to replace Richard Smith (I mean other than a lot of us fans think we could do a lot better)?

10. ArlingtonTexan

ArlingtonTexan Moderator Staff Member

1)Kubiak has said that he is going to talk with everyone on his staff. Earlier it was also reported that Karl Durrell who coached with Kubiak in Denver for a handful of years is a candidate.

2) None realistically. Maybe 5% on the outside.

11. Tulip

Tulip Hall of Fame

OK - so the Niners hired Martz. What are we doing exactly? Waiting until everyone gets snatched up.

I think this happened last year, though, and we all assumed rightly that Sherman would be promoted. Which indicates that Shanahanigans Jr is going to be the next OC.

12. Errant Hothy

Errant Hothy Hypermediocrity

And let the kneejerking commence yet again.

Martz and Kubiak have two widly different offensive mind sets and the two of them would never fit on the same sideline, and if they ever did the result would not be pretty.

13. Bubbajwp

Bubbajwp All Flopper

We are not going to hire a big name OC and pay him big bucks to run Kubiaks offense anyways.

14. WesmanTexanfan

WesmanTexanfan SeNior Smack

kyle shanahan did a damn good job

15. Tulip

Tulip Hall of Fame

Sorry - that wasn't my point at all. I don't care about Mike Martz. I just meant that the Niners have already gone through the interview/hiring process, while Texans haven't seemed to have even started.

I don't think I'd want another former head coach. I thought Sherman and Kubiak didn't complement each other very well at all.

16. dtran04

dtran04 Hall of Fame

17. GlassHalfFull

GlassHalfFull Subscribed Contributor

The Chronicle has this story up

link

18. Errant Hothy

Oh, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, let this happen.

19. Tulip

Tulip Hall of Fame

We'd have a running game? Count me in. I guess we'll see if he could be lured out of retirement a second time. Let's hope he's way bored at home.

I think that sets it up well to have Shanahan as OC.

20. Errant Hothy

Besides the aforementioned Alex Gibbs, and the guy from UCLA, maybe Kubes wants to interview some of the guys from teams that played last weekend; and if that is the case he cannot conduct those interviews till that coaches team loses. Kubiak probably feels the need to hire somebody who he has worked with or who was coached at Denver, since that is the offense he wants to run.