Why are some people so blinded by david carr

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by wenskek, Jan 10, 2006.

1. wenskek

wenskek Rookie

why are some people so blinded by david carr, I personally have not seen anything out of him in the 4 years hes been here to make me think he is the best thing for this franchise. whether the front office wants to admit it or not this franchise is now starting over and in a rebuilding mode, but how can we/they even claim it as a rebuilding mode when nothing was ever really built. And i am tired of hearing the same old stuff about how he has never had an oline because although that might have something to do with, there is much more to it than just the oline. i firmly believe along with many others that if VY recieves appropriate coaching and given time that he will be a better nfl qb than david and would be a great addition for this team and city.

2. TexansTrueFan

TexansTrueFan Hall of Fame

your right so maybe we should get vince young he can "run" and thats what he'll be doing behind our line _running_ and not by choice and that dont leave much time for "passing". :yahoo:

3. CyberTexan

CyberTexan Veteran

shoot behind our Oline Young would get hurt bad LOL you seen how skinny and long his legs are ? LOL

4. gtexan02

gtexan02 Working?

Why are you so blinded by VY? David Carr may not have lived up to his potential so far, but what about his 2004 season?

61.2% Completion, 3531 yards, 16 tds, 83.5 passer rating. Those are VERY decent stats

And this year, behind our musical chairs, injury riddled O-Line (AND w/out Andre Johnson and Domanick Davis for a good chunk of the season) STILL completed 60.5% of his passes for 2488 yards and 14 tds (77.2 passer rating)

So, when healthy and having a terrible OLine, Carr put up pretty respectable numbers. This past year, he didn't have the same blockers in front of him pretty much all year, had his #1 and #2 offensive weapons on the sideline a good part of the season, and STILL posted decent stats.

5. Kaiser Toro

Kaiser Toro Native Mod

Boy we really brought some fresh takes and zingers to the Carr/Yound debate on this thread. :rolleyes:

6. Double Barrel

Double Barrel Modified Simian

*sigh*

Do you honestly think that any QB in the history of the NFL would have fared any better behind the 2-14 Texans offense? idonno:

Honestly, I haven't seen to much blind loyalty to Carr these days. Obviously there are many folks here that see Vince Young through burnt orange colored glasses, and that's their right. But that seems to be the only prevalent blind loyalty to a player around the forum lately.

7. HoustonFrog

HoustonFrog Dallas Frog

The way I have seen it through a person who would be happy with both draftees is that people either think VY hung the moon or people have 4 years or lame excuses for Carr. I think the answer lies in between. I think VY will eventually be better than Carr. I'm not a Carr fan. However, it doesn't mean that it is best for the Texans now. Bush with some other high to mid round picks and FA for O-line and maybe we can see what Carr can do. I actually agree with the original statement of this post but can see both sides.

TheOgre likes this.
  8. TexansTrueFan

i do like VY but i dont see why we need to waste a draft pick on him when we have a Good QB behind a terrible OL. VY would of looked bad too.

9. thegr8fan

thegr8fan All Pro

could/would someone answer the topic question please? Come on, I KNOW there are Carr defenders on this board that have talked incessantly about his 'potential greatness', one of you, please just try and explain why you are so blindly loyal to the guy please. I really want to know this answer because personally I find it quite confusing, and up until I get an explanation from Carr's supporters, amusing really.

so anyone wanna take on the topic question? Why is it that (Blank) is so loyal to Carr? Irregardless of his current lack of playing ability as a franchise QB, for whatever reason i.e. O-line, hurt supporting cast of players, poor coaching, etc.

But WHY are you so loyal to Carr? I seriously want to know.

10. TexansTrueFan

because of what he has done with what he has. Sure he has been so so, but whos to say anyone else could of done better here, noone so i'm giving him the benefit of the doubt. PLUs when he does have protection he can pick apart defenses, we have all see it on few occasions.

11. Wharton

Wharton Site Contributor

:rofl:

:deadhorse

PS: I am a VY fan and my glasses are Maroon baby!

12. nunusguy

nunusguy Hall of Fame

Young has tremendous potential in the NFL: one story I was reading said if
    he could learn to pass like he runs, he possibly could be the greatest NFL QB
    ever. But that same article reminded the reader that if he failed to do so,
    he might end being just another Kordell Stewart. Rest assured that McNair won't be wearing those burnt orange glasses, because he'll see both the up and the downside.

13. thegr8fan

thegr8fan All Pro

thanks TTF for the honest answer, coupled with a realistic view of Carr's current contributions (highlighted by me in your reply with bold letters). It has been 4 years now, so just out of curiosity how much longer does Carr get from you with his 'current so so play' before you stop giving him the 'benefit of the doubt'?

14. TexansTrueFan

with change coming to the front office and depending on what they do to help our OL issues i'd say 1 more season to prove his worth. BUT if they dont feel like we can fix the OL in one season and we start "rebuilding" already than sure why not get one of colleges best QBs and start building around him.

15. Grid

Grid Hall of Fame

i dont think blinded is the right word. Im not sold on him, but I think he has done enough to show that he deserves another chance in the new system. I think that we can better use our first round pick.

16. texplayer2

texplayer2 Veteran

I think his potential for the next few years is as good or better than VY if they were both at Houston. It is not about long term loyalty, this is about us having the ability to help our team. If we give Vince way to much credit and say he is Carr's equal at this very moment, we would still lose out on picking an additional playmaker who makes our team better. And for the short term reason, the man plays for my team.:yahoo: I root for those guys know matter what, you can take your college loyalties and go:grouphug: on campus. I even root for Buchannon to tackle someone, even though he's not real good at it.:ok:

17. texan279

texan279 Hall of Fame

I am not blinded by Carr, but by the night sky when all of the stars in the sky align and spell Vince Young's name! :)

18. eriadoc

eriadoc Texan-American

Exactly. i think reasonable, rational people are willing to entertain the idea that Carr may not prove to be the future QB of this team. Until the foundation of this team is fixed, however, it's definitely not clear that he's a failure and there's ample evidence to suggest that a new QB would endure much of the same treatment.

When troubleshooting a problem, change the fewest number of variables between tests as possible - that's basic problem-solving.

19. Jerry

Jerry Veteran

The thing is, we know what one of our problems definitely is--the o-line...

20. thegr8fan

thegr8fan All Pro

The thing is, we know what one of our problems definitely is---David Carr.

see how rediculous this sounds in the 'serious debate/question' type threads.

lets keep the Vince Young is a God debates in some other thread also.

Come on now, I know that there are ALOT more Carr supporters out there. So why can't some of you die-hard, no matter what, Carr supporters give me a simple answer to the question, like TTF did.

I just want to know why some of you Carr supporters are so......well supportive, no matter how poorly Carr has played in his 4 years at Houston.

Family members, and Carr employee's need not answer, it is quite obvious to even me why YOU would support Carr, irregardless.