Who's your sleeper for the Texans from this year's draft or undrafted rookie pool?

Discussion in 'College Football & the NFL Draft' started by Hottoddie, May 8, 2005.

1. Hottoddie

Hottoddie Hall of Fame

Who do you think will step up & surprise everyone? Let's make it interesting. It has to be a player selected after the 4th round, or signed as an undrafted FA. Who'll be the next Demarcus Faggins(6th), Ramon Walker(5th), Jarrod Baxter(5th), Jammal Lord(6th), Bryan Pittman(Undrafted FA), or Charlie Anderson(6th)? Will any of these players make the roster? Who might be a starter some day?

While I think Hodgdon & Ceandris Brown have the best chance of making the roster, I'm going to pick Chris McKenzie as my sleeper. He's undersized, but seems to have everything else you look for in a CB. He could be a solid reserve & maybe, a spot starter someday. Also, keep an eye on Jerron Wishom. If he can overcome his injuries, he could really surprise everyone.

Here's the list of players to select from:

Draft Picks

Round 5: Drew Hodgdon, C 6-3 309lbs.

Round 6: Ceandris Brown, S 6-0 208lbs.

Round 7: Kenneth Pettway, LB 6-4 255lbs.

Undrafted FA's

Brown, Tim OT 6-5 300lbs.

Halterman, Aaron TE 6-5 256lbs.

Johnson, Chris OT 6-3 315lbs.

Lightbody, Sam OT 6-9 325lbs.

Malone, Alfred DE 6-5 308lbs.

McKenzie, Chris CB 5-8 182lbs.

Pitts, Devin WR 6-3 200lbs.

Simon, Jonathon DT 6-6 299lbs.

Williams, Carlos DE 6-4 306lbs.

Williams, Cedrick CB 5-9 169lbs.

Wishom, Jerron CB 5-11 193lbs.

Myniya Smith OT 6-6 340lbs.

2. vtech9

vtech9 Hall of Fame

Halterman, Aaron TE 6-5 256lbs

I think this is a possibility. He is a long-snapper that could also contribute at the TE position.

3. Ibar_Harry

Ibar_Harry Hall of Fame

I'm hoping Myniya Smith as that would mean our O-line is getting shook up. Possibly the Center from AZ could also be a shot to shake the O-line up.

4. Vinny

Vinny shiny happy fan Staff Member

I don't think they offered a contract to Myniya Smith. I may be wrong...but I think he was only in for a tryout.

5. Wolf

Wolf 100% Texan

6. Vinny

Vinny shiny happy fan Staff Member

I was wrong...I see Smith on the roster. ;)

7. YoungTexanFan

YoungTexanFan Hall of Fame

Lightbody, Sam OT 6-9 325lbs.

8. beerlover

beerlover Site Contributor

this question really begs time. based strictly on need & depth I'll go with Drew Hodgdon hoping the Texans where knowing exactly who they want to replace McKinney in the very near future :dangit:

9. Blake

Blake MMQB

Im going with Morency. If Davis gets hurt, or needs a game or two off, witch RB's do sometimes, then Morency will have a chance to step up and do his thang.

Johnson is a good pick as well.

10. Nawzer

Nawzer Alienz

I think Drew Hodgdon will surprise a lot of people this year. He may not replace Steve McKinney but he can play multiple positions and that will help us out.

11. beerlover

Bud I hope your wrong on this one because that would mean that Wand or Wade, maybe even both are out :dangit:

12. El Tejano

El Tejano Hall of Fame

I would say Jerome Mathis. I believe that with him on the field at the same time lined up on the same side with Andre, it would allow so much speed underneath and it would give the defense fits.

I say Jerome Mathis comes in and has at least 5 TDs this year.

13. beerlover

Kendrick Starling had a 4.32 40 & spent the season on special teams (gunner) not the returner. Mathis has slightly better speed 4.28 but much lighter build @ 5'11" 181 lbs. compared to Starlings 6'0" 193 lbs. plus one year of NFL experience with the Texans. I would expect some good competition between those two to make the team :)

14. Hottoddie

Hottoddie Hall of Fame

I wouldn't consider Morency & Mathis to be sleepers. They were both pretty high on the radar screen before & during the draft. The guys I consider to be sleepers are the ones that got little to no publicity leading up to the draft. Those are the players that define a GM's greatness. From the 5th round on, the Texans took players that got very little press. It'll be interesting to see how they work out.

15. El Tejano

El Tejano Hall of Fame

I would consider Mathis more of a sleeper then Morency. Morency was listed pretty high among the RB in the last draft. Mathis wasn't very high on the list of receivers. I just feel that Mathis will have a benefit from a core of receivers that have been together going on from anywhere between 2-4 years.

If he has a decent production early, his contribution will be more than catches. He will split up defenses for the other 3 ahead of him.

16. 281

281 Hall of Fame

All of you people saying Mathis or Morency have got to read the thread question...

I'll say Hodgdon... How much worse than McKinney can he really be? :rolleyes:

17. Texas_Thrill

Texas_Thrill Hall of Fame

Ok some of ya'll were killing me here. the thread clearly said AFTER the 4th.

Reading IS fundamental.

I like the LB from Grambling St myself.

18. royce1054

royce1054 All Pro

I am hearing that the 3 CB's that we have signed we some of the top available left. So i have to believe that one of those 3 will be a future Nickel in a few years. I want Hogdgon to be good because i think he has the best potential to be the sleeper but i wouldnt count out 1 of the 3 CB's.

19. threetoedpete

threetoedpete Hall of Fame

That's two for Morency. TJ will be a very good journeyman. He will never challenge anyone in the probowl voting.

20. Texas_Thrill

Texas_Thrill Hall of Fame

Does anyone know how to READ? The thread says for a pick AFTER the 4th round. READING IS FUNDAMENTAL.

3toed are you related to Miss Cleo? How do you know what TJ will be? I must have missed something but can you tell me what year we will superbowl or while you are at it please give us all some lotto #'s. I mean come on man let the guy PLAY before u make him a bum.

I'm not crazy about TJ but I wasn't crazy about Dunta and I think he turned about ok to say the least. ALL of us are FANS for a reason. If you want to say you don't like him as a draft pick fine b/c I don't either BUT doesn't mean we can say what these players careers will turn out like.

There will be Undrafted Rookie who will have a major impact in the NFL and if someone KNEW that in advance that player wouldn't have gone undrafted. :dangit: