who's your favourite player @ #18 now

Discussion in 'College Football & the NFL Draft' started by Maddict5, Feb 27, 2008.

1. Maddict5

Maddict5 Hall of Fame

my top 5 for #18 now looks something like this:

1. Leodis McKelvin
    2. DRC
    3. Rashard Mendenhall
    4. Derrick Harvey
    5. Chris Williams

2. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

As I think McKelvin will be gone, I remain in Stewarts corner. 235lbs and 4.48 speed?

3. Maddict5

Maddict5 Hall of Fame

and 1 speed :thinking:

4. Kaiser Toro

Kaiser Toro Native Mod

1. Williams
    1. Stewart
    1. Mendenhall
    1. Talib
    1. Cromartie

If they are all available at 18, then I want to trade back.

5. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

A power back with that speed is almost unheard of being available that low in draft. Not clear on what you mean by 1 speed. He hits line hard and fast and then accelerates into secondary. There are faster backs who might not get past L.O.S. or be able to break a tackle in secondary. He is a home run threat. He can move the ball in short yardage and in red zone. What other backs offer all this? McFadden, but some on this MB think he will not be as advertised. We might be able to get a very good RB later but odds just as good we might not. A "franchise type" player at a need position is pretty hard for me to pass up.

6. Hardcore Texan

Hardcore Texan Magnet Man

I second this right here a 100%

Even though I have never said either way, I will now, I am one of the people that think McFadden is not as good as advertised. He is a burner for sure, but I think he will have issues at the next level. A lot of character issues as well the way I see it.

7. HOU-TEX

HOU-TEX Ah, Football!

Although It'd be hard for me to get upset if McFaddin landed here, I'd have to agree with y'all. He seems like he'd be great once in the open field, but not bangin it up the gut.

I'm not really worried about him being there at 18 anyways.

8. threetoedpete

threetoedpete Hall of Fame

1. DRC
    2. Chris Williams: Perfect ZBS OLT. Beats Salaam out in OTAs.
    3. Trade down
    4. Glenn Dorsey If he slips this far boom/bust.
    5. Kenny Phillips...Looks like the guy has the hips to play CB.

Leodis McKelvin: top ten

Derrick Harvey : top five after his numbers I could seriously see him going to Minnesota now. Proto Typical 4-3 end.

Rashard Mendenhall: top fifteen.

No offense YTF Aqib Talib has danger Will Robinson writen all over him. the guy will have to work awefully hard to get coached up to start by september.

9. Maddict5

Maddict5 Hall of Fame

mendenhall offers all that and more imo

stewart doesnt really accelerate.. thats the point. he has 1 speed which is a pretty good one but he doesnt that zip or extra gear when he needs it.. i think he'll be a brandon jacobs type back- which is, again, pretty good but i dont want that at 18

:cowboy1:

10. TexansSeminole

TexansSeminole Hall of Fame

1. Mike Jenkins
    2. Mendenhall
    3. Clady
    4. Cason
    5. DRC

11. beerlover

beerlover Site Contributor

I have no problem with your guys selections but do you y'all really think they'll still be there @ #18? just playing devils advocate :evilb:

look its gotta be a cb, regardless if its a trade down or not. if the Texans stay @ #18 they go for the best cb available in this case it's Aqib Talib, Kansas.

Combine really helped him, confirmed measureables, smooth in back peddle, balanced in control athlete, fluid hips, explosive in space with excellent vertical. Would fit Texans style (play in front, excell in run support & very physical).

realistic favorites -
    1a. Aqib Talib
    1b. Antoine Cason
    1c. Brandon Flowers

unrealistic favorites -
    1a. Leodis McKelvin
    1b. Rodgers-Cromartie
    1c. Derrick Harvey

personel favorites -
    1a. Jonathan Stewart
    1b. Rashard Mendenhall
    1c. Chris Williams

12. threetoedpete

What I saw of the mans footwork...Talib is a bust pick. He is a first round athelete with a ten cent brain. I don't know if he dosen't take coaching....I don't know if he is being coached up and too stupid to understand....but the guy is a bust from my tree. I'd rather force Phillips into the CB positon than select a loose canon like Talib. There has gotta be a reason for his horrendous mechanics...I'm telling ya...let someone else draft this guy. He's a bushel full of trouble.

jgl35 likes this.
  13. beerlover

hope ytf doesnt read this :aggressive:

14. threetoedpete

Calls them as I sees them. Go back and watch his drills. I'm not a Db coach...and I get it. The guys feet are a train wreck. Telling me the K.U. coaches have been setting this guy a drift for three years ...I don't buy that one. It's either attitude or brain cells. And either one of those spells trouble.

15. Honoring Earl 34

Honoring Earl 34 Hey Koolaid

I think Deion and Mayock hammered Talib also .

Gibbs is a throw back OL coach . He said in Atlanta ... he needs smart guys who want to achieve .

I take this as ... if you aint willing to chop block ... you can't play . How do you measure that ?

16. beerlover

NFL Combine Transcript - What teams have you talked to?

"I talked to the Patriots. It was just a good conversation. I felt it went pretty good. We talked about football, my history, family background, a lot of stuff."

NFL Combine Transcript - How would you fit in with the Patriots?

"I feel I'd be a pretty good fit wherever I get picked." What do you bring to a team? "My ball skills … when the ball is in the air, I find a way to get it. I can play man coverage, I'm a pretty good tackler."

NFL Combine Transcript - How do you stack up with the other corners here?

"I thought I was going to be one of the bigger corners, but it's a pretty big group."

NFL Combine Transcript - Any corner you try to emulate?

"I'm a big Deion Sanders fan. I aways want to be the shutdown corner, the Prime Time of my team. I come up and tackle."

NFL Combine Transcript - On his ability to make interceptions (he had 13 in three years at Kansas)

"They want interceptions at corner. If you have good hands, it shows you can make plays on defense. It matters a great deal."

17. TK_Gamer

TK_Gamer Hall of Fame

I think it's really gonna come down to luck this year, luck and timing. 3 needs to fill and a probable overpriced FA market is gonna make it tough. One of the needs (OT, CB, RB) will have to be covered in FA, then we have to get lucky and have one of the other 2 available at 18. Personally I think the order of importance demands that CB be addressed BOTH in FA and pick 18, or 3rd rounder. I just think a lot is gonna have to go our way to address all 3 needs in one offseason. I think probably at least 2 needs will be patch jobs this year because of the cost and luck needed to pull off anything greater. I trust Smith/Kubiak to do the best they can though, and pray for the luck element to make it a positive offseason. Then we just need to get some of our other guys healthy, but more importantly, avoid the same fate this year with the injury bug. GO TEXANS!

18. beerlover

there is a surprising lack of following regarding Talib not to mention he played @ a high level in national landscape. He is not the kind of corner that plays man he is a classic cover 2, which seems to fit what the Texans want. the cover corners traditionally are going to be your higher rated prospects, like McKelvin, Cromartie, Jenkins. you must consider his strengths & how well those strengths fit your specific needs/system. his pack peddle is smooth (in balance, foot placement, head up on a swivel) his hip turn is fluid (can open & flip hips left or right) is sudden enough (with cushion) to change direction with speed to recover and you know what I specificly remember him making low tackles when required in space. His vertical was what? 38" or something along with his wingspan 33" arm length, height 6006 weight 202 forty 4.45 & big hands for position 9 3/8. (just a note on McKelvin who seems to have hands of stone it might be related to his smallish hand size 8 1/2).

c'mon threetoedpete, CB's don't grow on trees either, just like OT's :)

19. Ole Miss Texan

Ole Miss Texan Hall of Fame

Not sure of the order just yet, but I like:
    *LT- Chris Williams, Vanderbilt
    *G/LT- Branden Albert, Virginia
    *RB- Rashard Mendenhall, Illinois
    *CB- Antoine Cason, Arizona
    *CB- Dominique Rogers-Cromartie, Tennessee St.
    *CB- Brandon Flowers, Virginia Tech

Did anybody get to see Cason and Flowers do the drills during the Combine? For some reason I never saw the first group (Cason,Jenkins,Flowers, etc.)

20. beerlover

they showed some of the 40 times later in the broadcast but did not show the skill drills. if you have it on DVR go to almost the very end. :cool: