Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Who's the franchise player now?

alphajoker

Veteran
I was just kind of wondering who most people on this board think is the face of the Houston Texans now? For me, I think it's Mario...first pick of the year to go with the new era of Texans football. :redtowel:

Texas said:
A.J...He's been the most important and the only person every team really "feared".
I think plenty of people feared D.Rob. That is why every team threw away from his side(causing his interception total to drop significantly).

TexMexVato said:
I was just kind of wondering who most people on this board think is the face of the Houston Texans now? For me, I think it's Mario...first pick of the year to go with the new era of Texans football. :redtowel:

we don't really have a "face" right now

At the moment, AJ and D-Rob both had a drop off in performance last year (like most everybody else) and Mario hasn't yet proven anything (just like Bush, Young, Leinart, Fergason, etc.), so I'm gonna go with DD. It goes along with that huge sigh of relief he probably had when he heard Mario signed a contract. :)

D.Rob until someone proves themselves otherwise, IMO. AJ would be a close second right now.

BradK10 said:
nor do i think you really "need" a face

Yeah, you're right but what I mean is like, who do you think of when you think of the Texans? You know like when you think of the Packers, you think of Favre or the Bears and Urlacher.

Hookem Horns said:
Whether you guys like it or not it is still David Carr.

The QB is not always the face of the franchise. Look at the Ravens SB team. Ray Lewis or that QB who's name I couldn't remember if my life defended on it?

Hookem Horns said:

Probably in the FO's eyes. But not necessarily because he's earned it in the past four years. D.Rob and AJ have both been to the Pro Bowl. I'd be surprised if DC has even made the ballot.

Double Barrel said:
Probably in the FO's eyes. But not necessarily because he's earned it in the past four years. D.Rob and AJ have both been to the Pro Bowl. I'd be surprised if DC has even made the ballot.

Dunta was very close to making the Pro-bowl, but he was beat out by a more well known veteran.

Double Barrel said:

That's my point and I was referring to the FO. Carr's mug will still be on most of the marketing pieces, etc. When the rest of the nation thinks of the Texans they think of Carr, and how he has never had a chance to excel (their opinion, not necessarily mine).

The team voted Domanick as their MVP for '05 and he will be expected to carry a heavy load once again this season.

I think when the rest of the nation thinks of Carr, they think of this:
162622.jpg

At least that's what people from around the country I talk to bring up when we talk Texans. It's always about the sacks. Hopefully Kubiak,Sherman and Calhoun can turn that around.

aj. said:
The team voted Domanick as their MVP for '05 and he will be expected to carry a heavy load once again this season.

I think when the rest of the nation thinks of Carr, they think of this:
162622.jpg

Since I have a Xeriscape in my yard I am not familiar with the cost of that product, but I am sure it is very expensive.

I've heard it's really soft.

...uh, is that Wayne Newton with a thong? What's next, Tom Jones catching flying bras and panties from 60 year olds?

I believe it's Carr as well. First off, you have to think. What are the Texans known for? Not being able to protect the QB. Who has been the QB that kept getting behind a horrible line for the first four years of the Texans? DC. For any QB to go out there and get his arse handed to him for 4 seasons is definitely going to be known around the league. AJ and D-Rob are stellar players and are well known throughout the league.

But I think that you have to look at this from a person who isn't a fan of the Texans; not necessarily a hater, but not like the people on this board. I garuntee if you ask someone in any other NFL city who the face of the franchise is of the Texans, there are more than likely going to tell you DC because he keeps getting sacked and still somehow plays moderately well.

davis.jpg

Not only is he our franchise player, and one of the best RBs in the league, DD is at least a third of our defense if we don't get a good TE.

...when healthy.

We haven't had any real high profile players or played in any high profile games so all people know about us is that our QB has been sacked more than anyone in the last four years. That's the ugly figurative face of the franchise if you ask me (collectively Carr, the OL and our former coaching).

People around the country who play fantasy, and millions of people do, know about DD.

I look at it this way, if we had to apply the FRANCHISE TAG on one our players, it would be Andre Johnson. :cool:

aj. said:
I've heard it's really soft.

...uh, is that Wayne Newton with a thong? What's next, Tom Jones catching flying bras and panties from 60 year olds?

If you have not seen and heard Wanye's cover of the Thong Song you have not experienced pure genius. A close second is Jones' cover of Burning Down the House with the Cardigans.

David Carr is the face of the franchise. He always has been and always will be so long as he is the QB. Mario Williams is a DE, DE are no the face of franchises. It is not a glamour position. Must be a QB, RB, or LB - you have to be thought of as a leader.

Carr has not done much to deserve this label, but this could change. If he has the kind of success that coach Kubiak thinks he is capable of this will give him a lot more validity. Carr already says the right things, is a good citizen, and has the pretty boy look that are great for PR. He needs to (1) produce on the field, (2) continue to gain the respect of this teammates, and (3) stop throwing tantrums on the field - if things don't go your way f-it and do what you can.

stevo3883 said:
we don't really have a "face" right now
I agree, this team just needs to win, and there's a difference between "face of the team" and franchise player. AJ doesn't talk enough with media to be the face. Now you could argue that he is the franchise along with DD and D-rob.

Hookem Horns said:

I gotta go with Kev here ... Hopefully in the very near future our club'll be known by several faces but right now, like it or not, it's still pretty boy DCarr.

bdiddy said:
David Carr is the face of the franchise. He always has been and always will be so long as he is the QB. Mario Williams is a DE, DE are no the face of franchises. It is not a glamour position. Must be a QB, RB, or LB - you have to be thought of as a leader.

I'd say Peppers is the face of the Panthers...

Easy our new Head Coach. Texans had no Coach our play calling was nonexisting . We had a lot of injuries but that was not the major prob . Carrs a B + QB Davis and A - RB but our defense coach was F Good Coaches win . BAD COACHING LOSES Look at Colts SeaHawks Denver Lost to a Better Coach . We might not make playoffs this year BUT we will kick some ass ........... mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm Beer :homer:

WildBlackBear32 said:
I'd say Peppers is the face of the Panthers...

Id have to disagree...it would have to be smith or delhomme....peppers is the face of that defense...not the panthers as a whole.

When people I've talked to who aren't Texans fans, but have seen them play against their favorite team at some point, talk about the Texans, they always remember 2 people: David Carr and Dominick Davis (not necesarilly in that order).

They say that David Carr will probably be a good QB when he gets protection, but they say that DD IS a very good RB. They remember him and that he's small, but tough and quick, but not real great at top speed and they remember that he's awesome at receiving out of the backfield. He is the only player on this team that they both remember and are ready to say that he is a good player (without any question about it). AJ is great but they don't recognize that name, nor D-Rob. I submit that, for now, DD is the face of this team and he is the player that other team's fans (not the team itself) fear the most. This is just from my experience, of course.

edit: In fact, all offseason I heard, "Hey, Reggie Bush! But, yeah, you've already got a good RB. You need a trade down."

I would say it's David Carr. When people think of the Texans, they probably don't think of Andre Johnson, Dunta Robinson, Domanick Davis, or Mario Williams. They may know they are on the team, but the player that's the most prominent is David Carr. Nevermind that he's been an average to below average QB in all of his four seasons. He was the first player chosen by the Texans in the draft (not including the expansion draft). He'll probably remain as the face of the franchise until he leaves or retires.

TexanSam said:
I would say it's David Carr. When people think of the Texans, they probably don't think of Andre Johnson, Dunta Robinson, Domanick Davis, or Mario Williams. They may know they are on the team, but the player that's the most prominent is David Carr. Nevermind that he's been an average to below average QB in all of his four seasons. He was the first player chosen by the Texans in the draft (not including the expansion draft). He'll probably remain as the face of the franchise until he leaves or retires.

Yep, everyone knows how many sacks he's taken and kept on ticking. They have the ESPN commerical with no line to protect him. I would agree that DD has been consistantly the most productive and people thing AJ is scary, but in reality Carr is still the franchise player. If nothing else the contract he signed proved it.

Texas said:
A.J...He's been the most important and the only person every team really "feared".
I can't agree with your statement. I thinnk teams really fear Dunta Robinson. Nobody wanted to challenge him, instead they picked on Buchanon. This is why his interception number fell from what 6 to 1? However, I think with a much improved pass rush, the entore secondary will be able to capitalize on mistakes from quarterbacks trying to get rid of the ball too quickly.
Here's hoping to see a much improved defense!!!!
Go Dunta, Mario, TJ, and the rest of the defense

David Carr is still the franchise player. Mario Williams just happened to be the first pick of this year's draft. I don't believe the franchise player changes every year.

BigTimeTexanFan said:
I think plenty of people feared D.Rob. That is why every team threw away from his side(causing his interception total to drop significantly).

yeah and with no good CB on the other side why would they throw towards d-rob ? with A. Gleen we had a awesome secondary, but now switching to the 4-3 and with the pressure we should get on the QB, we should get way more turnovers on defense. But i think D.D is the franchise player.

See, when I think of a "franchise player" I think of someone that is flat out dominating. I don't see that with really anyone on our team. I see a lot of really good player that have a chance of being dominating with good coaching. Hopefully I will have a much different view after this season.

Back