Who's the best RB in the NFL right now?

Discussion in 'The National Football League' started by Hardcore Texan, Apr 19, 2012.

?

Who's the best RB in the league?

1. Arian Foster

50 vote(s)
    75.8%
  2. MJD

10 vote(s)
    15.2%
  3. Darren McFadden

1 vote(s)
    1.5%
  4. Adrian Peterson

4 vote(s)
    6.1%
  5. Ray Rice

1 vote(s)
    1.5%
  6. Chris Johnson

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Steven Jackson

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Other: (Frank Gore, D. Williams, J. Charles, M. Turner, etc.)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Hardcore Texan

Hardcore Texan Magnet Man

I was having a beer with a friend last night and a couple of us at the bar starting talking about NFL running backs. I got some crazy looks when I announced Arian Foster is the best back in the league.

I admitted I am a bit of a homer and I was sporting my Texans hat so no shock there. I was making this assertion based on all the things an all around back like Arian does. Pass blocking, receiving out of the backfield, strong enough to run between the tackles and enough speed to break it out side.

So who is it in your mind?

The only criteria for the poll is who would you pick to be your guy at RB if you were a head coach? (not who's got the most power, speed, system guy, etc. but in a vacuum).

So who you takin'? I still choose Arian.

2. Playoffs

Playoffs Subscribed Contributor

Which scheme?

3. Hardcore Texan

I don't want to break it down by scheme, too convoluted. In a vacuum, who would you take to tote the rock. No other qualifiers.

4. dc_txtech

dc_txtech Subscribed Contributor

Hard to take the crown away from Peterson, but I think him and Foster are 1a and 1b, with Ray Rice and MJD right behind them.

Gotta vote for Foster though.

5. Mr teX

Mr teX Hall of Fame

i mean its hard not to put arian up there but i think that McFadden and MJD are at least equally as good when they're healthy.

Peterson & Rice are the only other guys with a legitimate claim in which case peterson is an animal running the ball, but not as much of a factor in the passing game...and Rice is good but not great at both.

6. Hardcore Texan

My brother from another mother, my thoughts pretty much exactly. I take Arian because of his pass catching ability. Not even considering coming off the injury, plus AP is a violent runner I think he will wear his body out faster than Arian. Arian can lay a big hit, but he's slippery and doesn't take as much punishment. A very smart runner.

7. Hardcore Texan

DMC is a helluva weapon, I am not sure about his pass pro though. MJD is a great pass blocker, and catches the ball well. He's a beast. I like them all, it's hard to pick just one.

8. Goldensilence

Goldensilence hipster elite

I don't think You have to be a Texans homer to rightfully put up Arian Foster as the best RB in the league.

He lead the league in rushing last year, and I fully believe had he not been injured to start the season he would've repeated.

He's got great hands out of the backfield and picks up the blitz packages well.

If he's not the best, I would at least consider him the most complete.

I will say this about MJD though, he was the Jags offense this year. Everyone knew he was going to get the ball and he lead to league in rushing still.

9. The Pencil Neck

The Pencil Neck Subscribed Contributor

Maybe I'm biased, but there's no way I vote for anyone but Arian.

10. Mr teX

Mr teX Hall of Fame

We wont really know how good DMC is in pass pro until they get a capable qb back there; Dude had Jamarcus Russell back there to contend with. A capable qb makes a huge difference.

As for MJD, i just really hate to see great players in their primes being wasted on trash teams. & at the rate Jax is going, they're going to have worn pocket hercules down by the time they get turned around................and that can't happen until they realize Gabbert is just another name for garbage.

11. Scooter

Scooter Funky

had to vote for arian, he's a complete back and has the best numbers over the past couple of years. my favorite back is MJD, and he's very close to being #1b IMO despite being the only offensive player on the jags, but foster has simply been the best lately.

12. Dutchrudder

Dutchrudder COOL BEANS!

I have to go with MJD. That guy has been amazing for a few years without any passing game to take the heat off of him. He's a true power runner that would be great on any team in the league. He was excellent last year on a team with freaking Blaine Gabbert and one of the worst passing games in the league. 8 in the box almost every play and he still makes 4.5 ypc. His durability has been excellent too, only missing 3 games over 6 years.

Foster would be #2, his elusiveness is awesome, he's great in the passing game and he can take it to the house on almost any play. Another year or two of 1500+ total yards and he should be the clear #1.

Adrian Peterson is #3. Ray Rice is #4, then Lesean McCoy at #5.

DMC would be up there, but he just can't stay healthy. Jamaal Charles may be up there soon.

13. Mr teX

Mr teX Hall of Fame

Forgot all about him....he's a beast too, he just tries to do too much at times.

14. Rey

Rey Guest

Foster.

He is fast enough to take it the distance, strong enough to break tackles. Quick enough to make people miss, but has the size to run through people. He is a good blocker in the pass game, and he can also catch the ball and runs good routes to get open. He has great vision, patience and his acceleration is first class.

And the thing that about Arian is that he doesn't take many big hits. He will get all he can get and then protect his body.

15. gtexan02

gtexan02 Working?

I would pick AD if he didn't have the injury issue
    So Foster it is

16. Blake

Blake MMQB

Best is a subjective term. Arian has the most total yards for any player that is not a QB the past 2 seasons each.

That might be different if players were on different teams, but I can only base my opinion on what I have.

I vote Arian Foster.

MJD and AP are the other 2 vying for votes. And all 3 deserve to win.

17. Dutchrudder

Dutchrudder COOL BEANS!

18. DonnyMost

DonnyMost lol football :D

I grade Forte, Foster, MJD, Peterson, and Rice equally.

All of those guys are just incredibly talented in their own unique ways.

They make up the "1st Tier" for me.

19. eriadoc

eriadoc Texan-American

The Jags last year were a truly awful team. The QB was scared to do much of anything, they've never had a WR, and the organization just always seems to be battling. Every team that played the Jags knew they only had ONE threat - MJD. And yet the guy delivered. The Vikings had the same scenario, and AP did not do as well when he was in there. Begrudgingly, I have to give the man his due. The last time he ever had a backfield mate worth mentioning, he had a season that should have netted him ROY honors and a Pro Bowl nod.

Arian a close second, especially for his versatility and fluidity.

20. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

Foster, RIce and Forte (might have an off 2012 if his contract is not resolved but I liked him prior to draft & still do). The thing with Foster is he fits all schemes and can run inside and out as well as catch. He is of a prime age; you bring the kindling, he'll bring the fire.