Who's overpaid and/or overrated?

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by Sonny, Jan 11, 2018.

1. Sonny

Sonny TexSon Proud

I hate to be this guy but we (read as: The Texans) are dropping millions upon millions on several people that just aren't worth it.

I'll dive in with J Jo.

He's very good but I noticed JJo getting owned several times this year.
    Old, injured.. whatever. I'm thinking the money may be better spent elsewhere.

Anyway

Random inebriated spitball.

Who else makes thouzands per minute and shouldn't?

2. AngryNateFTW

AngryNateFTW All Pro

Not necessarily overrated but Lamar Miller always stepping out of bounds on the sideline instead of fighting for extra yardage and I think it's something we should talk about.

adama51 likes this.
  3. TheRealJoker

TheRealJoker Hall of Fame

Brian Cushing tops the list followed closely by Lamar Miller/Jeff Allen.

Cushing due to age and position not necessarily needing high dollar players to get similar contributions.

Miller due to same as Cushing minus age factor

Allen because he’s not good at RG and we insist to play him at RG.

PapaL likes this.
  4. Texansphan

Texansphan Hall of Fame

I have never been particularly enthused about Lamar Miller.
    I was very pleased when we got Foreman but we need another prospect similar in ability/potential so we can continue to build a dangerous running game and wave bye bye to Miller and his over priced contract.
    Blue is not particularly exciting either but he knows the offense and is cheap and reliable.
    It would help DW4 and our scoring ability immensely if we had a solid 1-2 punch out of the backfield.
    Texans have to cover themselves regardless in case Foreman loses his potential from this injury.

5. dream_team

dream_team Hall of Fame

Where I scratch my head with Miller (same argument with Ervin) is BOB isn’t using them like I imagined when they first initially came here. These guys need to get the ball in space, not behind the LOS all the time expected to run between the tackles.

6. Texansphan

Texansphan Hall of Fame

Agree.
    Miller is not a battering ram back like Fournette for example - he needs space to get to the second level where he is at his most dangerous.
    Our oline just isn't up to snuff when it comes to creating space for our running game.
    Sua Filo was quite good at getting downfield in college but is not as effective in the big time.
    This is what Texans were looking for from him when they drafted him for sure.

CloakNNNdagger likes this.
  7. infantrycak

infantrycak Admin & Mod Staff Member

JJo was $6.9 mil last season. Top CBs get $15+ mil. JJo was well worth what he was paid.

He is now a FA and can likely be signed to a contract for less. We need to fill holes/upgrade, not make them.

Good cut/cap savings:
    Cushing/$7.6 mil
    Allen/$4.825 mil
    Miller/$4.75 mil

Arguable:
    Kareem Jackson/$6.75 mil

After that you're dealing in less than a mil in savings.

DocBar, macho grande, PapaL and 2 others like this.
  8. Corrosion

Corrosion Idealist

Who was overpaid ?! .... Anyone who played along the offensive line. They played so bad they should all give their checks to my favorite charity.

macho grande, CloakNNNdagger and JB like this.
  9. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Hall of Fame

10. TheKDog

TheKDog Hall of Fame

For health reasons, Watt and fiedo may not produce up to their contracts

PapaL likes this.

11. Mr teX

Mr teX Hall of Fame

This is basically a who should we be cutting thread

Cush - Nothing else to say here but he's done
    Miller - he's good...very good pass catcher out of the backfield...but he's not the tough runner this system needs. I'd be in favor of keeping him, but he needs a little shave off the top.
    X Suafilo - Should not be paid by anyone to play professional football
    J-Jo - needs a little shave off the top to bring his salary in line with his play

I think 1 more year of Watt missing 2 or more games & yeah, he'll need a little cut down too.

adama51 and OptimisticTexan like this.
  12. infantrycak

infantrycak Admin & Mod Staff Member

JJo & X are FAs.

13. Lucky

Lucky Moderator

It's difficult to get behind cutting Lamar Miller when the heir apparent is rehabbing a torn Achilles, there are no picks in the 1st 2 rounds, and the free agent market is Le'Veon Bell (likely to be franchised) and nothing. Miller automatically becomes the top FA RB after Bell once cut. Not the best year to be RB hunting.

14. TheKDog

TheKDog Hall of Fame

I think a more interesting question is who on the team is underpaid and underrated?

macho grande likes this.
  15. dream_team

dream_team Hall of Fame

Really sucks about Fiedo. Dude was trending to be a stud.

16. texanhead08

texanhead08 Hall of Fame

I expect Fiedo to retire. That was a brilliant move by Ricky McNair to give him a contract extension while he was in concussion protocol.

DocBar, steelbtexan, Mr teX and 2 others like this.
  17. PolarBear

PolarBear Rookie

I agree with Cushing and Allen. No brainers based on their production. Given the holes at O-Line, I expect the Texans NOT to drop Allen even I would if I was the GM.
    I also think with Lamar Miller, the Texans will keep him. Foreman will likely never be a factor in future plans (post-achilles tear), and Blue is a Free Agent.

Kareem Jackson is a terrible cornerback, on a terrible contract. With KJo always hurt (and unproductive as a result), and JJo an OLD free agent, I'll be we keep him another year.

macho grande likes this.
  18. OptimisticTexan

OptimisticTexan Hall of Fame

I'm ok with cutting Cushing, Allen and Miller but if I could get anything for these guys in a trade, I'd do it. A lot of teams could get nostalgic and trade a better than expected pick for a savvy veteran that may gap a position. Bottom line, the Texans are in need of additional cap space and picks in 2018. Will the team get the same cap relief if they trade these players versus giving them an outright release? If any of these 3 guys returned a RD5, I'd do back flips and hail the new GM as a mastermind, but in all reality, if these players returned RD6 or RD7 picks, I'd be a-ok. The draft is really deep in DB's and having those extra late picks could be of some benefit in stocking the ST unit.

As far as KJax, JJo and KJo go, their success has always been dependent on a solid performance from the front seven. I'm thinking there will be enough healthy bodies returning on defense that the defensive backfield will once again look good. I still think that one of the best moves available is having KJax play FS. He has to play defense facing the play, then be allowed to use his speed and physicality to be the disrupting factor. Texans could use the extra cap space to sign FA, CB- Morris Claiborne to allow the KJax position move. The draft is where the Texans would need to find a big and physical SS in the range of 6-2+ @ 220+lbs who has the ability to be a factor in the running game and still be able to cover the position in the passing game.

I'm going to wait on the offense discussion since there is so much to look at in terms of need(s).

steelbtexan and macho grande like this.
  19. CloakNNNdagger

CloakNNNdagger Site Contributor

I have this terrible feeling that Fiedo makes the terrible decision to try to come back.

steelbtexan likes this.
  20. IDEXAN

IDEXAN Hall of Fame

One of the best, Luke Kuechly, has had like 3 or 4 concussions and he's still in the league playing at an all-pro level so I won't be the least bit surprised either if Fiedo returns for the 2018 season.
    It's not just a game to him it's his life, so yea it's tuff for a young man what 25 with so little time left in an average NFL career to walk away even though he really should.

steelbtexan and macho grande like this.