Who's on the 53-Man Roster

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by SESupergenius, Aug 26, 2005.

1. I can see this happening:

Offense

QB
    08 David Carr
    12 Tony Banks
    04 Dave Ragone

RB

37 Domanick Davis
    25 Tony Hollings
    34 Vernand Morency

FB
    44 Moran Norris

WR
    80 Andre Johnson
    85 Corey Bradford
    86 Jabar Gaffney
    89 Reggie Swinton
    13 Jerome Mathis

LT
    68 Victor Riley
    78 Seth Wand

LG
    69 Chester Pitts
    79 Chad Beasley

C
    76 Steve McKinney
    77 Todd Washington
    63 Drew Hodgdon

RG
    72 Zach Wiegert

RT
    71 Todd Wade
    67 Milford Brown

TE
    87 Mark Bruener
    82 Billy Miller
    81 Matt Murphy

Defense

LE
    96 Gary Walker
    75 Travis Johnson

NT
    91 Seth Payne
    95 Jerry Deloach

RE
    99 Robaire Smith
    94 Junior Ioane

LOLB
    93 Jason Babin

BLB
    52 Kailee Wong
    51 DaShon Polk
    63 Anthony Dunn

MLB
    56 Morlon Greenwood
    54 Troy Evans
    53 Shantee Orr

ROLB

98 Antwan Peek
    50 Charlie Anderson

LCB
    31 Phillip Buchanon
    38 Demarcus Faggins
    33 Jason Bell

RCB
    23 Dunta Robinson
    21 Lewis Sanders

SS
    26 Glenn Earl
    24 C.C. Brown
    22 Ramon Walker

FS
    42 Marcus Coleman
    30 Jason Simmons

Special Teams

K
    3 Kris Brown

P
    7 Chad Stanley

LS
    48 Bryan Pittman

2. eriadoc

eriadoc Texan-American

So ... you don't see Jonathan Wells making the roster? I do.

3. jr0ck

jr0ck Veteran

my setiments exactly, if anything it's 'ol 2nd round tony that's in danger...and for some reason i have the feeling that kasper will sneak onto the depth chart somehow, but not take mathis or swinton's spots :confused: i also see zeke moreno making it... :tomato:

4. HJam72

HJam72 Hall of Fame

If they keep Hollings and not Wells, I'm gonna be really ticked. I would be very tempted to use Morency as the #2 over Wells, though. I don't know.

Hollings is a bust. Wells has proven that he can rush for 100 in a game.

5. HJam72

HJam72 Hall of Fame

Is it a given that Walker is better than Travis Johnson, or are they still deciding that?

Nevermind, I guess the answer is Yes and Yes.

6. ATX

ATX Hall of Fame

what ever happened to derrick armstrong?

7. HJam72

HJam72 Hall of Fame

Is it just me, or does anybody think that Mathis might be a #2 receiver?

8. ATX

ATX Hall of Fame

he might be in the future, but i think its way too early to say he's our #2 man right now. he's caught 2 passes in one game, so i don't know.

9. jr0ck

jr0ck Veteran

oops! he's a lock before swinton and kasper, just forgot about him because he's injured and hasn't seen any pre-season action yet (at least to my knowledge).

despite the popular opinion (or so it seems to me) that mathis is the WR embodiment of god, i think he only see's action in 4 and 5 wide sets (barring injury of course). it's bradford's job to lose (this season) and if he goes down i say armstrong gets the intial nod before jerome. after this season though, i think the coaches already have mathis in mind for the texan's future :ok:

10. TexHorns

TexHorns Veteran

you are 100% correct IMO

11. TexHorns

TexHorns Veteran

I think that we should let Armstrong take Gaffney's spot as a # 2 and groom Mathis to take Bradford's spot but that is just MO. Bradford will not be here after this year IMO.

12. The Preacher

The Preacher Veteran

I was hoping with his hands he could make a push to become a great receiver in the league ala Drew Bennett. Both DA and Gaffney have had a few years which is the norm for a receiver to really start producing. To go an extra step and put myself out there I would be surprised if we didn't have one of the best receiving corps in the league this year if blocking is sufficient.

13. Marcus

Marcus Ruthless pragmatist

I wish they'd put Jabar Gaffney on IR, and figure out a way to keep Sloan Thomas. I have a feeling he'd be a good one if given enough time.

14. keyfro

keyfro Hall of Fame

yeah after the oakland game i was thinking maybe we need to drop armstrong and keep sloan thomas, swinton, and mathis...giving us 6 wr's...probably keep two fullbacks in morris and wells...3 hb's in davis, hollings, and morency

15. Dime

Dime Hall of Fame

I would be floored if Hollings aint gone. Wells can do both backup rb and fb and a special teams person. I like sloan... Armstrong has the best hands on the team, but if he has difficulty getting open, that dont help. I dont see us dropping armstrong though. Believe me, would rather have sloan

16. The Preacher

The Preacher Veteran

What's Armstrong's problem? He can't run, how hard is that?

17. Corrosion

Corrosion Idealist

J.Wells WILL be on the team . He's the type of player Capers really likes , HARD WORKER , Great special teams player , can play multiple positions and doesnt put the ball on the ground .

Hollings should be let go , they need to cut their losses with him and use the roster spot on a player more capable of helping the team .

Reciever is probably the most competitive spot on the roster

Mathis was drafted because of his pure speed and the good ole P word .... Potential . That said , He's a VERY RAW talent who recieved Very little coaching at his position . Hampton doesnt even have a WR coach .... He will make the team but probably wont see a whole lot of action unless Bradford is hurt or is totally un-productive by mid-season .

Sloan Thomas deserves to make the team based on what he's done so far in training camp and pre-season .... Armstrong would be tough to let go and neither of them would clear waivers for the practice squad . Someone would pick them up .
    Swinton isnt a lock to make the team . With Mathis and Buchannon both able to return punts / kicks he will have to show that he is valuable as a reciever to make this team , thats why they wanted to rid themselves of J.J.Moses ... one dimensional .

TE ..... Billy Miller may not make the team this year . Being one dimensional doesnt help his cause . The Texans will probably keep 3 TE's but will one of them be Miller ? The play of Matt Murphy and Marcellus Rivers could spell the end for him .

As for the Defense .... I think SESupergenius pretty much got it right , that is likely who we will see make the team .

Im wondering if the Texans will keep Bryan Pittman for nothing more than their long snapper ....Thats a luxury spot and one better used on a player who can add depth elsewhere on the team . Its time Mckinney made himself useful . :bomb:

18. I actually like J. Anderson more than I do Wells or Hollings, but that aint gonna happen. Well has taken too many snaps this preseason (lets see what he gets this next game) so I figure that coupled with the fact that Hollings was a high 2nd rounder we'd keep him. It's not that I dislike someone when I am excluding them, its just that we have only 53 spots, 25 more or less on offense.

Yes we will keep the longsnapper, it's an incredibley valuable position, especially when things go wrong.

19. Hottoddie

Hottoddie Hall of Fame

This has already been dicussed in another thread, but here's a repeat of my projected 53 man roster.

I can see some notable players like Billy Miller, Bradford (Armstrong is cheaper & locked up for 2 more years), Hollings, Ramon Walker, Weary, & Orr losing their jobs this year. Hopefully, CC can trade one or two of them for draft picks or an upgrade at one of our other positions. I'd sure hate to be the coaches & have to decide which ones to cut. We're actually going to be able to cut some quality players this year.

Our secondary should be the envy of the league this year.

Anyway, here's my picks, based on just 2 preseason games.

OFFENSE

QB: Carr, Ragone, Banks
    WR: AJ, Armstrong, Gaffney, Mathis, Swinton
    RB: DD, Morency, Wells
    FB: Norris
    OL: Riley, Pitts, McKinney, Wiegert, Wade, Wand, M.Brown, Washington
    TE: Bruener, Murphy

DEFENSE

DL: Walker, Payne, Smith, TJ, Deloach, Ioane
    LB: Peek, Wong, Greenwood, Babin, C.Anderson, Chamberlin, Evans
    CB: Dunta, Buchanon, Faggins, McKenzie
    FS: Coleman, Simmons
    SS: Earl, C.Brown

SPECIAL TEAMS

PK: Brown
    P: Stanley
    KR: Swinton, Mathis
    PR: Swinton, Mathis
    LS: Make yourself useful McKinney (I can't see us taking up a roster spot for just a LS. Sorry, Pittman)

TAXI SQUAD:

Pettway (LB)
    Symons (QB)
    S. Thomas (WR)
    Wishom (CB)
    Hodgdon (OL)

20. So are we going into the season with a 45 man roster?? :confused: