Who's expected to be availale at 18

Discussion in 'College Football & the NFL Draft' started by keyser, Apr 12, 2008.

1. keyser

keyser Hall of Fame

(edited to add one more Mock)
    I do this just to help myself keep track of things, but figured others might find it interesting. I was interested in figuring out who is certainly gone, likely gone, etc. by pick 18. So, I looked at 6 mock drafts all from April 10 or 11 (Rang and Reuter from nfldraftscout.com, Lance Z. from the Chronicle, nfldraftcoundown.com, and Don Banks from SI, Gosselin from the DMN).

All 6 mocks agreed that the following 13 players would be taken in the first 17 picks:
    Jake Long
    Glenn Dorsey
    Chris Long
    Matt Ryan
    Vernon Gholston
    Darren McFadden
    Sedrick Ellis
    Leodis McKelvin
    Ryan Clady
    Derrick Harvey
    Devin Thomas
    Branden Albert
    Rashard Mendenhall

That leaves 4 others who will be gone before the Texans pick. Based on those mocks, the ones who might be gone are:
    Keith Rivers (gone in 5 of the 6, and all five had him in top 10)
    Jeff Otah (gone in 5 of the 6)
    Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie (gone in 4 of the 6)
    Chris Williams (gone in 3 of the 6)
    Philip Merling (gone in 2 of the 6)
    Jonathan Stewart (gone in 2 of the 6)
    Mike Jenkins (gone in 1 of the 6)
    Jerod Mayo (gone in 1 of the 6)
    Dan Connor (gone in 1 of the 6)

So, Rivers and Otah are likely gone. Unfortunately, DRC and Williams are the next most likely - if either slips a bit, I think they'd be prime candidates for the Texans to consider. If they're both gone, I'd expect the Texans would be trying to decide between Jenkins and Stewart.

2. kastofsna

kastofsna Hall of Fame

you could do a lot worse than having to pick between Jenkins and Stewart at 18.

3. beerlover

beerlover Site Contributor

your absoultly correct sir, as a matter of fact I expect Jonathan Stewart to have a bigger impact than say someone taken #2 overall back in 05 :cool:

4. Texan in Japan

Texan in Japan All Pro

K - Nice work, but remember there are always some guys that the amatuers have going in the 1st that will go in the rds 2-3 and vice versa. I'm really hoping that one of the Lts (Williams or Clady) fall to us.

5. beerlover

beerlover Site Contributor

LZ thinks that player who falls into the Texans lap is DRC & he very possibly could based on his medical condition (one Kidney) light frame, small school background compounded by lack of expereince. That should help Jenkins for a team addressing cb, looks like Stewart is moving back up the boards & one of those tackles should still be there, could be Williams :)