Who would you rather have at this point? Simpson or Daniels?

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by gtexan02, Sep 21, 2006.

?

Daniels or Simpson?

1. Daniels - This guy is our TE of the future and can catch and block with the best.

37 vote(s)
    64.9%
  2. Simpson - We already have Joppru, Bruener, and Putzier!

19 vote(s)
    33.3%
  3. Someone else entirely

1 vote(s)
    1.8%
  1. gtexan02

gtexan02 Working?

There was a LOT of complaining when the Texans passed on Ko Simpson for Owen Daniels in the 4th.

Then he started to look good in preseason and got the start.

Then our secondary started being awful.

So who would you rather have at this point? Daniels or Simpson?

2. Reddevil63

Reddevil63 Hall of Fame

Why does this even matter? We have Daniels, not Simpson. I would rather have Portis over Chester Pitts and Derrick Johnson over TJ but there really isnt any point to what ifs.

3. mexican_texan

mexican_texan Furry Tractors

Ko Simpson is an upgrade over who? Micheal Stone?

4. 281

281 Hall of Fame

95% of what's posted on this forum are "what ifs"... i thought you'd be used to it by now

5. Texans86

Texans86 All Pro

Where's Ko Simpson starting right now? I haven't heard anything about him, but that doesn't mean he isn't being productive. You probably should put some information up about him if you are going to have a decent comparison. So far I know Owen has done very well, and has at least one touchdown. That's not too bad for a rookie. If he can get one more per game he might set a record. Doubtful, but its still possible.

6. TFL

TFL Veteran

With the bills. I think he starts for them.

7. Reddevil63

Reddevil63 Hall of Fame

Pre-draft talk should be what ifs, after the fact what good does it do to sit around and think "what if we had this guy"

8. mexican_texan

mexican_texan Furry Tractors

I think that was OJ.

9. AustinJB

AustinJB All Pro

Owen Daniels
    Game 1 - no stats
    Game 2 - 4 receptions, 45 yds, 1 TD

Ko Simpson
    Game 1 - 4 solo, 3 assists
    Game 2 - 1 solo, 3 assists, 1 sack

FWIW

10. dat_boy_yec

dat_boy_yec All Pro

At this point Simpson. I mean c'mon Daniels may be the better pick in the long run, but right now Brown is killing me. Daniels made what a TD, Simpson might have prevented what 2-3 touchdowns. I mean maybe Simpson would have had enough sense not to have just pushed that receiver down in the endzone and have our INT. called back. K.O. might have had enough sense to stay with Stallworth instead of trying to come up and be SS run support. It's only two games in so right now it's not fair, but as of right now, Simpson would be much nicer. I mean tell me secondary hasn't killed us so far.

11. Grid

Grid Hall of Fame

we could go back and see who was the best player available in every round of every draft..and talk about how we could have taken them over *insert player*

doesnt make a difference..pointless topic.. and its kinda sleazy too. Like your mother talking about all the kids she could have adopted if she hadnt had you.

Lets show a bit of respect towards our players.

Kaiser Toro likes this.
  12. blockhead83

blockhead83 All Pro

Our players will be the first one's to remind you that this is a business. Unfortunately, I think any team loyalty that was once present in the NFL is quickly declining.

13. LORK 88

LORK 88 Wreck'em Ŧech!

If I were to say as of now, Daniels is our TE of the future and im becoming a LaRon Landry fan very quickly. Like everyone has said however, this thread is nothing more than a hypothetical so it gets the 'pointless' title.

14. Grid

Grid Hall of Fame

I disagree.. i talk to alot of fans from alot of other teams.. they arent all big homers like myself :D..but team loyalty is still just as prevalent as it was years ago.

And yah..its a business for the players... its a sport and form of entertainment for us. And I bet you $100 bucks that if you go sit in the Texans lockerroom, you wont hear anyone wondering if the team would be better if they had drafted *whoever*.

Partly because its unfair to the players we have, and partly because the past is the past and there is no changing it.. saying "we would have been better off if we had done this" is a pointless exercise. It boils down to whining..and there is nothing constructive or worthwhile about it.

15. Snapple

Snapple Veteran

Ko Simpson was the best player available at the beginning of the 4th round, I thought. Or maybe even Darnell Bing. We had/have a BIG need at safety, and we passed on potential starting safeties, even in the 4th round. Instead, we took a guy who Wisconsin didn't even like enough to make their starting TE. I was mystified at the pick at the time.

Now, that doesn't mean it was a bad pick necessarily, because I knew very little about Daniels, and obviously the Texans took a closer look at him than I did. I feel like I can comment on Mario vs. Reggie better, because I saw a lot of both of them in college.

If I could go back, and I were the GM, of course I'd take Simpson still. Our defense STILL sucks, in case anyone didn't notice. We have Daniels right now though, so I'd love to be wrong about the pick. He did at least have a decent game in Indy.

16. blockhead83

blockhead83 All Pro

I wasn't trying to imply team loyalty was down amongst the fans, but the players. I'm also not trying to say that players sit around wondering what if, but more going in the direction that they could probably care less if the fans ask what if. You still hear a few players whine when traded or released, but it's becoming more and more prevalent for them to come out with the, "Well, it's a business....". It has a very calloused aesthetic to it. I just get the impression alot of players in the NFL are just happy to be collecting their paychecks, and don't really mind where they do it from, or if the fans there wish they were someone else. Just my 2 cents.

Grid likes this.
  17. Honoring Earl 34

Honoring Earl 34 Hey Koolaid

The draft has killed us in the past but the jury is still for the 2006 draft .

Today on 610 sports Lance said that Casserly did not have Shawn Merriman on his draft board . CC did not think he could play OLB in a 3-4 .

18. Kaiser Toro

Kaiser Toro Native Mod

I got an audio/visual image while reading your post. It was Casserly in the draft war room wearing a mask of Mr. Burns, from the Simpsons, talking on the phone with the theme music from the movie Halloween in the background.

19. Honoring Earl 34

Honoring Earl 34 Hey Koolaid

What happens if the Chargers pick DJ and the Texans passed on Merriman ... who maybe the best defensive player today .

20. Goldeagle

Goldeagle Hall of Fame

I said we need Safety help, and we NEED safety help again! Daniels is a nice player but you had 2 decent veteran TEs and one maybe (Joppru).

I just hope we take a safety with the 2 or 3rd pick of this coming draft or make a big move to bring in a proven safety who has some decent speed and/or can read a defense.