Who will be our starting linebackers?

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by baba ganoush, Jun 4, 2006.

1. baba ganoush

baba ganoush Veteran

DeMeco Ryans is he a strong or weakside linebacker?
    Morlon Greenwood OLB
    Shantee Orr in the middle, fighting with a job over Sam Cowart

2. Brandon420tx

Brandon420tx Flounder

Orr in the middle? :ok: have anything to back this up tho? I'm curious.

3. BuffSoldier

BuffSoldier Hall of Fame

From what Ive heard, Ryans will play either OLB position, but I have read that he is smart enough to play all LB positions, and at some point it college he played each. I would really like to see him at MLB with Greenwood at the weakside OLB and Wong fighting it out with Orr for the strongside.

4. jparrish

jparrish Rookie

Cowart was part of the Jets linebacking corps when they were very highly ranked a couple years ago. I think he'll put up a fight for our MLB spot.

5. HeartofHouston

HeartofHouston Veteran

Weakside:
    Greenwood

Middle:
    Cowart

Strongside:
    Ryans

6. Trapped

Trapped Veteran

I would like to see

StrongSide OLB - Shante Orr
    MLB - Demeco Ryans
    Weakside OLB - Morlon Greenwood

7. TK_Gamer

TK_Gamer Hall of Fame

I have no doubt they picked up cowart to be the LB leader and help along Ryans till he can take the middle as a starter. Rainer prolly insurance backup. outside I'm guessing Orr and Greenwood, with Babin or Peek filling in on occasion. I wouldnt be surprised to see us pick up another Linebacker when they are able to make a decision on Wong. we could use a decent cover LB on the outside for RB's and TE's

8. LORK 88

LORK 88 Wreck'em Ŧech!

You and Buff are right on the money. No way we get rid and bench Orr who was one of our only LBs to actually play hard all the time, and no way we keep Ryans on the bench. He's got the smarts, and can make plays.

9. LORK 88

LORK 88 Wreck'em Ŧech!

Do you mean Al Wilson? Trevor Pryce was their massive DE . . .

10. wicked_wayz

wicked_wayz all blacks

Wolb = Greenwood/orr
    Mlb = Cowart/dymeco
    Solb= Dymeco/orr

11. amazingandre

amazingandre All Pro

MLB i think should be greenwood he has enough speed and vision lpus a little more experience in nfl than ryans

strong side bakcer id like to see Ryans he will adapt quiker to eventually become a mlb and will start to gain success i think.

weakside should be wong no doubt. i really like the guy dont know why though lol o well i hope he puts manning on his back at least twice each GAME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:yahoo:

12. MorKnolle

MorKnolle Hall of Fame

DeMeco Ryans is best suited for a WLB, then MLB, then SLB

I think the starters will likely be like this at the beginning of the year:
    SLB - Shantee Orr
    MLB - Sam Cowart
    WLB - Morlon Greenwood

Ryans will get a significant amount of playing time, and I think he will probably be in the majority of the time on nickel formations, probably with Cowart or maybe Greenwood.

Wali Rainer and/or Terry Pierce will also make the team and play a decent amount, Wong will be on PUP to start the year, and Charlie Anderson or Kenneth Pettway will make the final roster.

13. JAXwithanX

JAXwithanX Veteran

Cowart will be starting at least the first few games at MLB. Demeco will be at the weakside, with Orr and Greenwood switching up the strong side. Cowart is still a good MLB and far more proven than any of our LB's, no matter how much we liked the way Orr played.

14. Scottyboy

Scottyboy Veteran

All three slots are UP for grabs! Wong still hasnt been released, and he could be anywhere. I have Cowart Starting right now Mike, but left and right theres no telling!! :spy:

15. beerlover

beerlover Site Contributor

I heard reports earlier today that Wong is way ahead of his recovery schedule, feeling great and should be in the mix come regular season. He will be the first X factor (injury angle) which has always seemed to rear its ugly head for the Texans. The difference being is that this year as a group, regardless of who plays where? the Texans have a much more talented & experienced group of quality NFL capable linebackers.

16. AFD1717

AFD1717 Veteran

Is anyone else concerned about how Shante Orr will perform in a 4-3? I don't know what system he played in in college, but it is clear that his strength is rushing the passer. Is he a long term option for us? If not, we may be able to get something for a 24 year old guy with 7 sacks last year.

17. Ole Miss Texan

Ole Miss Texan Hall of Fame

I went to that Texans deal on Saturday at Reliant. Coach Kubes spoke at the very end and pretty much said that Cowart will be starting in the middle, not sure about the outside guys. Mario got a standing ovation when introduced and seems like an extremely humble guy.

18. CMoak1982

CMoak1982 Rookie

Orr was a defensive end at michigan, hence the pass rush ability, but I think with the tenacity he shows he could become a good weakside linebacker where he really rushes the passer, the only problem with that is Greenwood, and Ryans, play there as well. Ryans can play any of them, Greenwood took Seau's place at strongside when he was hurt so there is flexibility there but I would still say without picking up some coverage ability Orr is on the 2nd team.

19. BigTimeTexanFan

BigTimeTexanFan All Pro

I can definately see us taking linebackers on the first day in the next few drafts

20. Brandon420tx

Brandon420tx Flounder

I want a CB first day of next years draft, even if P-buc performs to the raised expectations this year, at least we'll have a possible fresh nickel back, or someone P-buc will have serious competition with.