Who, Who Who???

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by TEXANFAN23435, Mar 6, 2007.

1. TEXANFAN23435

TEXANFAN23435 Veteran

Someone, anyone, please enlighten me on which QB available since 2002 would have come in here with what Carr has been surrounded with (Front Office, Coaches and Offensive Teammates) and would have posted better results. Any sane QB would have gotten out of town before resigning for more punishment. I think Kubiak's arrival helped him. A big dose of coaching consistancy and some time could be help us see why he was the #1 pick. I think all you Carr bashers are in for a big let down because Carr will be the starter next season. Ramsey and Rosenfels will make key backups.

2. Reddevil63

Reddevil63 Hall of Fame

I don't think anybody will argue with the fact he got dealt a crappy hand, a lot of people just think that new surroundings would be good for him, and a new face of the franchise would be good for the Texans.

3. ledzeppelin229

ledzeppelin229 Hall of Fame

I thought Carr was improving until he turned the ball over 4 times or so against Tennessee and threw 4 interceptions against New England. There was also the whole 2 touchdowns in the last 10 games, and the obvious fact that the less he did the better the team fared overall.

Carr might start out the season but if he has games where he practically loses single-handedly then he will be benched and someone else will be given a shot. And this board will probably be unbearable because all of the Carr die-hards will piss and moan about Carr being benched even if it gets the team a couple more wins.

4. Hervoyel

Hervoyel The Right Track

In 2002 David Carr took a beating because he didn't have a line that was good enough to protect him and he didn't have the experience at this level to protect himself. Tony Banks would have easily exceeded David Carr's results in 2002 for no other reason than that he had 6 years of experience prior to the Texans playing their first game.

In 2003 Banks came in and played in 7 games. He threw 5 TD's and 3 picks and an 86.6 QB rating. He was also 2-1 in games he started that year while playing with the exact same offense that David Carr was working with.

Tony Banks did better in the exact same situation that David Carr was in and I don't think you will find many people who will disagree that there have been better free agent QB's available since 2002 than Tony Banks.

All of them, almost to a man could have improved on David Carr's performance.

5. The Pencil Neck

The Pencil Neck Subscribed Contributor

All I want is for the QB position to not be a liability to the team. I don't care WHO starts. If Kubiak can fix Carr, great. If he figures he can't, great.

I think most of us agree that Carr's problems today come from the beatings he took in 2002 and 2005. And that it's the fault of the old coaching staff and FO. But the point is we need a QB who can perform up to an NFL standard. If Carr was broken during that punishment, then he shouldn't be our starter as sad as that may be. Our team's job should be to win games, not to rehabilitate a broken player by costing our team games. If they want to put Carr on the shelf while they work through his issues, great... although I think he's getting paid too much money for it to make sense for them to do that.

6. Second Honeymoon

Second Honeymoon Hall of Fame

someone on this board actually watches the game and remembers the past? wow, not surprised he is a 'blue'

when Banks outperforms you, you know there are inhernet problems in your game (IQ, release point, deer in headlights syndrome, inability to grasp playbook, inability to overcome adversity, inability to make plays when it counts, inability to dedicate himself to football, inability to win over his teammates, and and inability to WIN.

The only thing Carr has shown the ability to do is cash a big check, get his haircut, and get sacked.

7. The Pencil Neck

The Pencil Neck Subscribed Contributor

Damn, man. I'd almost forgotten that. I remember thinking, "Hey! Let's let Tony Banks continue to... WAIT! What am I thinking?! This is TONY BANKS! Get Carr back in there!" But Banks did look better than Carr at that time.

8. kiwitexansfan

kiwitexansfan Site Contributor

At that time Banks had a fair bit of experience that Carr lacked, which really helps.

They also had a decent defense.

9. South Texan

South Texan Veteran

I would love to see Carr live up to his potential. MAYBE the fact he has lost his assurance of being the franchise QB will give him a nudge in the right direction, and hopefully, Kubes has been in his head to solve some of his mental problems.

However with what has been coming out of the Front Office, I would not be surprised to see him somewhere else next year. If not, I don't see any way he will start preseason as the guaranteed starter. Limber up Sage, it's your chance to be a hero.

10. afcman

afcman Veteran

The results speak for themselves. We need to move on. It's just the way it is.

I hear and read a lot of talk from other teams saying how they like Carr.... Well, where are they if he's available? If they REALLY wanted him they'd make a deal work. Otherwise we can just hang on to him as a backup for the time being since we're paying him.

May be sad to say, but I don't think he's much better than a really good backup now.

11. BigWig

BigWig Bigimus Wigimus

Heck even when Banks was filling in it was more exciting and we saw more downfield passes, dalthough he did have fumbleitis. I think there was someone who could have done better which supports my current theory
    ABC= Anything But Carr

12. Vinny

Vinny shiny happy fan Staff Member

Who is going to ask out of 60 mil dollars? Tony Banks had better results...and he was the only guy who got any snaps other than Carr. Carr had 1 TD pass of any consequence the last 10 games of the season. He threw TWO total in those ten games as the other one was in garbage time...all while getting sacked less than 2 times a game. WATCH SOME GAMES.

13. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

WE all agree Carr got a raw deal.

Doesn't change the fact that 5 years into this, we need to start worrying about winning football games, and not rehabing our broken QB.

If Kubiak wants to keep David on the bench until he's ready, I'm fine with that. I don't care about the money.

But I'm ready for winning to be the top priority when my team takes the field on Sunday.

14. Kaiser Toro

Kaiser Toro Native Mod

2002 was a breakdown by our scouting department regarding Carr rather than a breakdown of having players that could support Carr.

The writing was on the wall as there were many tells out there about his inadequacies that were harbingers about how he would scale in the NFL. Props go to Wolf and HonoringEarl34 for digging up the USAtoday eval and Carr's Senior Bowl diary

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/nfl/2002draft/qbs/davidcarr.htm
    http://espn.go.com/ncf/seniorbowl/carrgamediary.html

15. bigbrewster2000

bigbrewster2000 4th Infantry

Wow we are actually still talking about this. Amazing. Get over it people. What more is there to talk about. What is left to say that hasn't been said already?

So to answer the who,who,who??? question. At this point WHO, WHO, WHO CARES!?!?!?!?!

16. yourfavoritetexan42

yourfavoritetexan42 Veteran

Banks was playing with a defense with Marcus Coleman, Aaron Glenn, Jamie Sharper Kailiee Wong and Gary Walker, all somewhat in their prime and played some pretty good football.

Name one starter last year that was effective for the texans (our 2-14 season).

...Dunta Robinson?.... barely....????

Exactly. What was the difference of Carr at the begining of this season and the end? Charles Spencer. I believe if Charles Spencer had not gone down, we would have been 8-8.

17. Beer and Metal

Beer and Metal Buzzed Cacophony

I seem to remember Banks winning one, losing one, and leaving the third after injuring his hand(?). Carr came in with a still-injured shoulder, and the game was pretty much won by D. Davis.

18. Vinny

Vinny shiny happy fan Staff Member

Texans fans

19. HuttoKarl

HuttoKarl Hall of Fame

I'm shocked that nobody said "vince young" yet.

20. Porky

Porky Hall of Fame

Okay, I'll play.

Carson Palmer
    Eli Manning
    Phillip Rivers
    Ben Roethlisberger
    Alex Smith
    Vince Young
    Matt Leinart
    Jay Cutler

Might be one or two others, but those are the ones I can think of. That's eight. That represents 1/4 of all starting NFL QB's, and those are only the ones drafted after David Carr.