Who should week 2 starting qb be?

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by rockabilly, Sep 12, 2005.

?

Pick your week 2 QB

Poll closed Sep 19, 2005.
  1. David Carr

62 vote(s)
    57.9%
  2. Tony Banks

10 vote(s)
    9.3%
  3. Dave Ragone

35 vote(s)
    32.7%
  1. rockabilly

rockabilly Veteran

Should we give Carr another game after 3 INT's?
    Should we give the Veteran Banks a shot at proving he still has what it takes?
    Should we test the NFL Europe MVP and PreSeason QB star Dave Ragone a shot to be the leader?

2. rockabilly

rockabilly Veteran

Also, please make your argument why you make your pick.

I will start with my pick of Dave Ragone.

I think that he may be able to work in our offense better. I have a great feeling about this guy based on what I saw in the preseason. He has something that David Carr doesnt have yet since training camp - and that is a passing td. When he played in the preseason, he looked more motivated, and more like a leader than carr does. Carr just always has that depressed look on his face...like he gives up. He feels his job is secure. I think Ragone will try double hard to prove himself if we throw him in there...because he did it in Europe, he did it in the preseason, and he has one major thing that Carr doesnt have right now....and that is CONFIDENCE IN HIMSELF AND HIS TEAM.

Give him a shot. :howdy:

3. ccdude730

ccdude730 Hall of Fame

i vote carr to see if he can get out of a funk.

but after week 2 and the bye, we might see a change

4. Hervoyel

Hervoyel The Right Track

I selected Dave Ragone as much for the possible effect it might have on Carr as anything else. It could also be argued that you give Carr another week to see if he can respond to the thumping he took this week and that's a valid approach. It's been done before though and you see what we're still working with. Sit him and let the lefty play. If anything just to see what we have in Ragone.

5. Corrosion

Corrosion Idealist

Ive got an even better idea .... How about Casserly or Capers for QB ? Maybe if they see how BAD that O-line is they might go get some help :bag:

I voted for Banks to play out the remainder of the season , no need to get Carr killed with this horrid O-line ..... Put him back out there next season .... After a season to mend his wounds and an off-season in which you draft at least one FIRST DAY lineman (D'Brickashaw Ferguson) and pick up at least two more via FA .... Then you plug him back in as the QB .

As for Banks , I could care less if he got hurt ....He's at the end of his rope as it is ..

Ragone ... dont play him behind this line , dont want him hurt or gun shy like Carr is , we may need him someday .

6. Elite

Elite Veteran

actually i think ragone would be more of a fit right now this team needs something and david aint gonna provide that spark of leadership that they need.

7. texan0305

texan0305 Veteran

i'll go with vince young, is that a viable option, heck i'm an aggie and i'm impressed with vince, ok seriously though no doubt about it in my mind you go with carr, you think carr get sacked alot try putting in banks, he'll be a statue in the pocket, ragone plain and simple isn't all that good, so what the guy put up numbers in europe, it's europe! get real guys the best option we have is carr, you give carr any type of protection, and if his recievers actually run the right routes he might throw up some yards, it's a team effort it starts with the offensive line we should be talkin about how they need new offensive lineman not a new qp, or the fact that our coaching staff is horrible...

8. ledzeppelin229

ledzeppelin229 Hall of Fame

It would be nice to see Ragone in a "what if" scenario but if he went in and tanked it, suddenly we have 2 QBs who aren't playing well and the one that IS proven has lost all confidence. Not saying there's much confidence after todays game...but still. I don't think changing QBs after the first game is the answer.

9. texan0305

texan0305 Veteran

ragone will be a prototype back up qb he's not an option, grrr what do i know our coaching staff sucks they'll probably be a point in the season where ragone will play :pigfly: lol yaa i'm being sarcastic

10. TMac48

TMac48 Veteran

This poll is officially ridiculous.

11. SPRBWL

SPRBWL Rookie

Dont ya mean preposterousous...sus? :tomato:

12. HoustonHarley

HoustonHarley Rookie

No doubt, you go with Carr. Not even a question.

13. texan0305

texan0305 Veteran

man i feel for carr, much love....

14. Ihategeeks

Ihategeeks Hall of Fame

Carr has 7 ints in the last 5 games.

You got to start him though, next game. If he is still in a funk, throws another 3 picks or some silly nonsense like that.

You guys got some serious trouble.

15. Malloy

Malloy Site Contributor

Tough dicision. As much as I hated last night's loss, judging Carr's progression against w1+w2's opponents might not give him justice. Going against the #1 and #2 defence of last year is tough, no matter who you are. As much as I like Ragone I think that Carr should be allowed to play through the first 3 games, that is, last chance to show progress is w4 against Cincinnati.

If he screws up there(whether it's him, the O-line or the coaching) things need to change after w4 if we're still collection losses.

If we're 0-3 after Cincinnati I would let Ragone start. He might not be "proven" as Carr(is he really?) but he is confident and imo shows real good vision down the field.

Also, to make the calls less conservative I thought Mcnair should introduce a new set of rules. If Palmer calls more than 5 rushes through the middle, every rush after the fifth results in a 10k$ reduction in his salery; per rush. :)

16. HJam72

HJam72 Hall of Fame

I'm about to vote for Ragone just to give Carr a break. Pittsburgh will be after the QB all game long too. Maybe Ragone would show us something against a great defense with no protection whatsoever, or maybe it will end this kind of discussion, but at least Carr will not be dead. :embarrass

17. WWJD

WWJD Hall of Fame

You go with David. He's the franchise guy and if he's not hurt he plays.

18. J-Storm

J-Storm Veteran

You have to give him 1 more shot to see if he can bounce back. Maybe he is shell-shocked after 3 years of being pounded (I know I would be), and dropping him now will either make him or break him. Not the way he would want to lose his job I'm sure (if Ragone was brought in for instance and succeeded). I agree with the above posts that state if he's fit he goes under centre and that he deserves at least 3 games, which would would mean he gets 'til after the Bengals game to see if he can get his rhythm back...

19. txhoosier

txhoosier Veteran

Someday is today...Ragone should be taking first unit snaps over at the practice bubble all week long, and starting against Pittsburgh, with Banks as the #2 guy. Carr should well understand that he is p***ing away his opportunity by the end of the week.

20. HJam72

HJam72 Hall of Fame

Playing well against Tampa's 3rd string D will not help Ragone when he's got the Steeler's first string line-backers in his face.