Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Who should the Texans draft at #25?

Who should the Texans take at #25?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
A favorite QB is emerging from the poll as is an OL. The QB is also leading this poll.
Vote and you will see who.

Watson. I feel most comfortable with him with respect to the QBs and we need a QB prospect.

Of the top 3 Watson is the one I like least .... That offense is built on predetermined throws so he really wasn't asked to read a defense or go thru progressions. Add to that the INT issues which mainly came when he wasn't making those predetermined throws and tried to force things. In the NFL he's not going to have a lot of predetermined throws to keep him out of trouble .... unless you are running a bunch of bubble screens which teams will take away when he shows he cant make downfield decisions. Box gets stacked , running game gets shut down .... ugh.

I'd probably pass on Watson if he were the only one of the three left at 25 and go with Peterman or Beathard later.

Mahomes , Trubisky , one of the top 3 OT's or a defensive game changer like Cunningham in R1 for me.

Late teens, probably. I'm not trying to trade the entire draft, but I like him enough to move up for him. That second rounder next year would have been good ammo for it.

That is just one reason (other not in love with any of them) Texans are more likely to trade down than up to grab their QB. If Trubisky is there that's who I'd select from this class but he will not, its mute point.

That is just one reason (other not in love with any of them) Texans are more likely to trade down than up to grab their QB. If Trubisky is there that's who I'd select from this class but he will not, its mute point.

If the QBs are gone, I'm all for trading back.

I don't like any of the QB's enough to trade up for them. But then again that's the reason none of them are considered top-10 locks.

I really don't want to trade up for one. Would like to sit pat, let board play out, and hopefully one falls to us. If there's a run in the teens though we might have to make a move.

Reactions: Max
I don't like any of the QB's enough to trade up for them. But then again that's the reason none of them are considered top-10 locks.

I really don't want to trade up for one. Would like to sit pat, let board play out, and hopefully one falls to us. If there's a run in the teens though we might have to make a move.

The more I watch Mahomes and the more I hear the guy talk about football .... the more confident I am that he's the one I want.

I'd move up as far as I could to get him , if he gets past the Jets at 6 , I'd be trying to move up in front of Cleveland.

Reactions: JB
3 of the candidates have not received a vote and the QB race has tightened up while one of the OL's has moved into equal third place.
So far 30 votes - let's keep 'em comin'.

3 of the candidates have not received a vote and the QB race has tightened up while one of the OL's has moved into equal third place.
So far 30 votes - let's keep 'em comin'.

Why are the votes important?

At least this board has not argued drafting BPA versus priority need before...:headhurts:

A QB might not grade out as high but good or bad will have an overall greater impact on the bottom line than any other position .... So when you don't have a competent QB on your roster at all , a QB who grades out at ~80-85 is actually more valuable than a any other position even if that player grades 95+.

QB either you have one or you don't , if you don't you go get the best prospect you can .... When you have a shot at a prospect who has the potential of Mahomes , is a good kid , great work ethic and loves football .... you go get him.

A QB might not grade out as high but good or bad will have an overall greater impact on the bottom line than any other position .... So when you don't have a competent QB on your roster at all , a QB who grades out at ~80-85 is actually more valuable than a any other position even if that player grades 95+.

QB either you have one or you don't , if you don't you go get the best prospect you can .... When you have a shot at a prospect who has the potential of Mahomes , is a good kid , great work ethic and loves football .... you go get him.
A QB, no matter how good his potential or his grade, if he doesn't start until his third season, will have zero impact for years one and two. Another player, no matter what his grade, if he starts day one, will have more impact on the team's sucess than the QB, for those two years.

A QB, no matter how good his potential or his grade, if he doesn't start until his third season, will have zero impact for years one and two. Another player, no matter what his grade, if he starts day one, will have more impact on the team's sucess than the QB, for those two years.

Sure , cant argue otherwise ..... But where the hell are you going to find a QB that starts day one anyhow ? Top 1-3 in the draft MAYBE.

Fact is , long term that QB will have a greater impact upon the bottom line than any two players at other positions.

We don't have a competent QB .... I just don't comprehend putting off filling that position with a quality talent any longer. Next years crop is so great .... then we hear the same sh!t next year. Every year wasted is another year the Texans have NO SHOT at a super bowl.

I'm glad they took their hacks with Brock ..... despite the fact that he failed. At least they made an attempt to solve the problem long term. Now do it again ..... until you get it right.

I mean really , what the hell do you have to lose ?! If you aren't playing for a Lombardi Trophy at the end of the season .... Nuttin.

Sure , cant argue otherwise ..... But where the hell are you going to find a QB that starts day one anyhow ? Top 1-3 in the draft MAYBE.

Fact is , long term that QB will have a greater impact upon the bottom line than any two players at other positions.

We don't have a competent QB .... I just don't comprehend putting off filling that position with a quality talent any longer. Next years crop is so great .... then we hear the same sh!t next year. Every year wasted is another year the Texans have NO SHOT at a super bowl.

I'm glad they took their hacks with Brock ..... despite the fact that he failed. At least they made an attempt to solve the problem long term. Now do it again ..... until you get it right.

I mean really , what the hell do you have to lose ?! If you aren't playing for a Lombardi Trophy at the end of the season .... Nuttin.
O'Brian is playing/coaching for his job. As a fan, you may not give a ****. But I don't think the Texans coaching staff will agree with you, although Smith may not be in this same boat.

O'Brian is playing/coaching for his job. As a fan, you may not give a ****. But I don't think the Texans coaching staff will agree with you, although Smith may not be in this same boat.
Here's the flip side for O'Brien. Does he want to go with a guy with 4 games under his belt, 3 of which he stunk? Who has gotten injured in all 3 years he's been in the league? Or a talented rookie that if he does coach up, will be a huge feather in his cap?

Here's the flip side for O'Brien. Does he want to go with a guy with 4 games under his belt, 3 of which he stunk? Who has gotten injured in all 3 years he's been in the league? Or a talented rookie that if he does coach up, will be a huge feather in his cap?

Something tells me he's going with the guy he's been coaching up for 3 years. It's a process and no rookie is going to walk in and command a dumbed-down version of this offense by game 7. Savage will be fine but if the Texans fail to make the OL the first priority...it won't matter which QB they bring in....it's going o be a struggle. Better add a top RB as well. A strong TE would be nice but my fear, the team addressed this with the re-signing of Griffin. As you can see, I've got little to no room for a projected top QB and I wouldn't waste a late RD pick on one either.

Something tells me he's going with the guy he's been coaching up for 3 years. It's a process and no rookie is going to walk in and command a dumbed-down version of this offense by game 7. Savage will be fine but if the Texans fail to make the OL the first priority...it won't matter which QB they bring in....it's going o be a struggle. Better add a top RB as well. A strong TE would be nice but my fear, the team addressed this with the re-signing of Griffin. As you can see, I've got little to no room for a projected top QB and I wouldn't waste a late RD pick on one either.
Men, until you find your franchise QB, I think you have to draft a rookie every year until you do.
You most likely won't get one via FA - they ate slimy too valuable so you take pot luck and use your only other option to snag one via the draft.

Men, until you find your franchise QB, I think you have to draft a rookie every year until you do.
You most likely won't get one via FA - they ate slimy too valuable so you take pot luck and use your only other option to snag one via the draft.

If the Texans need a QB for the 2018 season they will have both the draft picks and cap space to accomplish this goal. If they set the table this season, a rookie QB could come in and excel b/c the foundation has been established. If they want one of the top QB's in the next draft, they have the picks to offer. If the Texans want a FA QB, they'll have the cap space to put competitive offers on the table. The 2018QB Class has more than 1 QB who looks like they could be starting for NFL teams from Day 1. Heck, even Bruce Ariens stated that this is a good QB Class provided teams are in a position to draft one of these QB's and let them learn for a season or two. Since the Texans do not fit that classification, their RD1 investment will need to be ready to start or at least win the competition from Day 1.

Patience is a virtue...build the foundation first so whoever becomes the QB in 2018 has a fighting chance at success or to remain successful.

If the Texans need a QB for the 2018 season they will have both the draft picks and cap space to accomplish this goal. If they set the table this season, a rookie QB could come in and excel b/c the foundation has been established. If they want one of the top QB's in the next draft, they have the picks to offer. If the Texans want a FA QB, they'll have the cap space to put competitive offers on the table. The 2018QB Class has more than 1 QB who looks like they could be starting for NFL teams from Day 1. Heck, even Bruce Ariens stated that this is a good QB Class provided teams are in a position to draft one of these QB's and let them learn for a season or two. Since the Texans do not fit that classification, their RD1 investment will need to be ready to start or at least win the competition from Day 1.

Patience is a virtue...build the foundation first so whoever becomes the QB in 2018 has a fighting chance at success or to remain successful.

I also wouldn't keep throwing early picks and missing at a QB while neglecting the rest of team. Build the OL and keep stocking up on weapons. If there's not a QB with a 1st round grade on your board don't force it. Yes it's a perpetual cycle but at least you're setting the table for some QB to come in and feast.

Yes it's a perpetual cycle but at least you're setting the table for some QB to come in and feast.
Except that your table doesn't remain set. Players leave when they get old, or their contracts expire. If there's never a QB that has value on your draft board, maybe it's time to evaluate how you setup a draft board.

I understand what you're driving at but you have to use the picks from this year anyway or lose them.
You don't have to take a QB in the first round but the pressure valve gets turned down markedly by the second pick.
You take your OL or BPA in the first, your QB and OL in the second and third.
The olinemen in this class are fairly evenly matched once you get out of the first round so a decent talent can be found in the next few rounds.
Unfortunately you can't say this about the QB's - they are a lot thinner on the ground.
The problem with waiting for next year is there could be a **** fight for the QB's available there and you might miss out or it costs you an arm and a leg for a guy who could be a Ryan Leaf.

Except that your table doesn't remain set. Players leave when they get old, or their contracts expire. If there's never a QB that has value on your draft board, maybe it's time to evaluate how you setup a draft board.
you're making his argument for him. This is why you don't waste valuable picks on players that don't warrant the pick.

you're making his argument for him. This is why you don't waste valuable picks on players that don't warrant the pick.
I have no idea how that relates to my post.

If you don't have a QB, you have to get one. If you can't identify a QB, you have to find someone who can. We have two guys who have proven they can't identify the position. Yet, they are getting another year. Can they pull a rabbit out of their hat, as Jason Garrett did to save his job? We'll find out. But all of these valuable picks previously made are worthless until they find a QB.

You guys make it seem like we're passing over franchise QBs to take other positions. How many franchise QBs how many have we had an actual chance at? At best your talking Dalton, Wilson, Cousin, Bridgewater, Carr. Carr was never happening, Bridgewater was taken the pick before us and wasn't in the discussion for #1 overall. That leaves us with Dalton, Wilson, and Cousins.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/history/fulldraft?type=position

2010 - - We had #20 Pick Kareem Jackson; The last year Schaub was good QB
1-1 Bradford (meh)
1-25 Tebow (lol)

2011- We had #11 Pick JJ Watt
1-1 Newton (not a chance we could have gotten)
1-8 Locker (lol)
1-10 Gabbert (lol)
1-12 Ponder (lol)
2-35 Dalton (Decent career) *MISS*
2-36 Kaepernick (lol)
3-74 Mallett (lol)
5-162 Yates (Journeyman)
6-180 Tyrod Taylor (jury is still out)

2012- We had #26 Pick Mercilus
1-1 Luck (not a chance we could have gotten)
1-2 Griffin (lol)
1-8 Tannenhill (jury is still out)
1-22 Weeden (Journeyman)
2-57 Brock (lol)
3-75 Wilson (Good QB, tons of potential, very good team) *MISS*
3-88 Foles (lol)
4-102 Cousins (Franchise tag after sitting behind RG3) *MISS*

2013 - We had #27 Pick Hopkins
1-16 EJ Manuel (lol)
2-39 Geno Smith (lol)
3-73 Mike Glennon (jury is still out)
4-98 Barkley (jury is still out)

2014 - We had #1 Pick - Clowney
1-3 Bortles (lol)
1-22 Manziel (lol)
1-32 Bridgewater (would have been a Texan; career threatening injury) *MISS*
2-36 Carr (Good QB, tons of potential, wasn't happening) *MISS*
2-62 Garoppolo (jury is still out)
4-135 Savage (jury is still out)
5-163 Aaron Murray (jury is still out)
5-164 AJ McCarron (jury is still out)

2015 - We had #16 Pick Kevin Johnson
1-1 Winston (not a chance we could have gotten)
1-2 Mariota (not a chance we could have gotten)

2016 - We had #21 Pick Will Fuller
1-1 Goff (jury is still out)
1-2 Wentz (jury is still out)
1-26 Lynch (jury is still out)
4-35 Prescott (jury is still out)

Last edited:
We should of taken Lynch last year. This is not a good class. If you want to draft a QB you need to plan ahead at least a year. The best plan would be to trade back to late first or early second with our first this year. Then trade that pick to a team for their next year's first. That way we have two first next year for ammo to move up and take one of the top guys.

Some drafts just don't have value at QB. This is one of them.

I have no idea how that relates to my post.

If you don't have a QB, you have to get one. If you can't identify a QB, you have to find someone who can. We have two guys who have proven they can't identify the position. Yet, they are getting another year. Can they pull a rabbit out of their hat, as Jason Garrett did to save his job? We'll find out. But all of these valuable picks previously made are worthless until they find a QB.
You can't identify what's not there. Jason Garret didn't identify anything. He drafted a decent prospect who got to play behind a great line with a great running back and a great WR and a very good TE. That team was Taylor made for a young QB to be successful. That's what we should be doing. Building this offense with our valuable assets that will make life easy on a young QB. Use third round or later on a QB with some good traits. Hell who knows maybe if we build up the offense enough savage will be the guy.

You can't identify what's not there. Jason Garret didn't identify anything. He drafted a decent prospect who got to play behind a great line with a great running back and a great WR and a very good TE. That team was Taylor made for a young QB to be successful. That's what we should be doing. Building this offense with our valuable assets that will make life easy on a young QB. Use third round or later on a QB with some good traits. Hell who knows maybe if we build up the offense enough savage will be the guy.

Nit picking, the only thing I disagree with you on is Witten is a GREAT TE. Every young QB would be thrilled to have a Witten type player in their offense.

Hopefully CJF is trending towards that level of play.

I voted for Bolles in this thread. There's really not much difference to me between the best QB in this years draft and the 6th best QB. But there is a huge gap between the best offensive lineman and the 5th best in this draft. Very little depth at OL compared to QB. So I'd be very happy with one of the two best offensive lineman in the 1st round and Webb or Peterman in the 2nd.

There's room between, "Keep throwing high picks at QB" & "Never on your board"

He was responding to a post that said to draft a QB every year. Even though that guy didn't say a high draft pick, Papal specified.

We should of taken Lynch last year. This is not a good class. If you want to draft a QB you need to plan ahead at least a year. The best plan would be to trade back to late first or early second with our first this year. Then trade that pick to a team for their next year's first. That way we have two first next year for ammo to move up and take one of the top guys.

Some drafts just don't have value at QB. This is one of them.

I believe the Texans are the only team in the NFL that hasn't drafted a QB within the first 3 rounds over the last 10 years (since Smith started being involved in the draft). So I think we're safe from drafting a QB early this year. Problem is, they probably won't draft one early next year either because they'll finish the season 9-7 which will give Smith an excuse. And it will be a good one because the Texans don't have the draft capital to move up and draft someone like Darnold or Josh Rosen.

And around and around we go.....

This guy has us taking Budda Baker at #25; only 1 QB taken. It's a long video, shows film on all prospects. Really informative.

Texans Pick:

Final Picks:

This is the concern for many of us, even though I am a fan of Savage we just don't know if he will be "fine". RT is a priority need but (again just an opinion like yours of Savage) but Antonio Garcia brings a starter. Miller needs to be used as to his strengths: speed through line on draw plays, end arounds and catches. Blue reduced attempts last season but did avg 4.0 and should be used between tackle runs rather than Miller. I would not draft an RB but pick up at least one after draft.

On the video, speaker correctly states KJ should moved to safety and then he drafts a safety leaving KJ in nickle with same issues...this is why I selected an excellent corner in Awuzie who starts day one at nickle & move KJ to safety. Awuzie can also play outside as well.

Nit picking, the only thing I disagree with you on is Witten is a GREAT TE. Every young QB would be thrilled to have a Witten type player in their offense.

Hopefully CJF is trending towards that level of play.

I voted for Bolles in this thread. There's really not much difference to me between the best QB in this years draft and the 6th best QB. But there is a huge gap between the best offensive lineman and the 5th best in this draft. Very little depth at OL compared to QB. So I'd be very happy with one of the two best offensive lineman in the 1st round and Webb or Peterman in the 2nd.
I love witten but I wouldn't call him great anymore. He's not what he used to be. Still very very good but I hesitate to say great.

I love witten but I wouldn't call him great anymore. He's not what he used to be. Still very very good but I hesitate to say great.

Fair enough. I'm just always awed when the Cowboys have a 3rd and long, Witten gets open. He has such a great awareness of where he is on the field and where he needs to be to get the first down. Maybe I'm awed only because I'm used to Texans receivers find the yardage needed to fall short of the chains by a yard.

Back