Who should start Thursday against The Bengals?

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by Chris, Sep 10, 2017.

1. Chris

Chris Rookie

If the Texans can't beat the Bengals on Thursday with either QB there need to wholesale changes with the organization so, this is an easy question: who should start Watson or Savage?

2. Lucky

Lucky Moderator

It's so easy, it really shouldn't be a question.

TexansSeminole, Jadmakaveli and Wolf like this.
  3. DocBar

DocBar Hall of Fame

I guess that would depend on what kind of insurance policy you've taken out on Savage. He'd get killed against that front seven with this OL.

4. Texas Jake

Texas Jake Veteran

I think that now they have made the change to Watson, there is no going back.

Hervoyel, Jadmakaveli and PapaL like this.
  5. DocBar

DocBar Hall of Fame

I somewhat disagree. I don't want to see Watson ruined like Carr was if the Texans can't manage to shore up the OL, which is unlikely, minus Brown returning. Watson IS much more mobile than Carr was, so I'll stew on it for a few days.

False Start and macho grande like this.
  6. amazing80

amazing80 Site Contributor

If history repeats itself, it will be Watson. When OB pulled Hoyer in game 1 2015, Mallett started the next week.

7. CloakNNNdagger

CloakNNNdagger Site Contributor

Whomever you want injured first!

76Texan and macho grande like this.
  8. welsh texan

welsh texan Lest we forget

Hard to understand how this coach has gone back on his starting QB decision in the first game of the season TWICE.

I don't really think we have mucb in m Savage, but my reservation to letting Watson play is if he's going to be a tackling dummy due to our Oline.

Ive normally been a happy clapper type of fan, but can't help feeling like screaming fire everyone with this latest monumental **** up.

I mean they've taken 3 years not even trying to get a QB on the basis of putting an Oline, some receiving options and a running game around him to help him succeed. And they've missed on virtually everything except maybe the QB who now comes in to a **** situation.

Porky, VTexan, The1ApplePie and 7 others like this.
  9. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Hall of Fame

You start Watson.

He's not going to be Carr unless he sucks like Carr.

Watson should've been the starter all along.

Savage is a career back up at best. If we had an Alex Smith level of qb that has a chance of going to a super bowl then I'd go with that guy.

There's no way in hell I'd start Savage or would've ever started him. For what?

bah007, fiasco west and Jadmakaveli like this.
  10. DocBar

DocBar Hall of Fame

Savage appeared to be far ahead of Watson in PS, against vanilla D's (see NO game for non vanilla), so there's that. The problem isn't necessarily Savage, but OB's vanilla offense. PS or regular season, it's the same offense. Plain old vanilla. No wonder his QBs can't compete when defenses break out the mint-pistachio. I put the vast majority of this on OB and the OL. Horrid OL play and putrid play calling that kept exposing it.

11. A time to chill

A time to chill Rookie

Watson should be the starter and should've been the starter from the beginning. If you put Savage in, he'll inevitably be benched again later in the season.

It really does suck for Savage though to be benched in the 1st game of the season. That was a boneheaded move by O'Brien. He should've waited until the bye week to make that move. But that's the incompetence of Bill O'Brien.

Hopefully, the Texans are talking with Duane Brown to end the holdout before we face the Bengals.

macho grande and Jadmakaveli like this.
  12. xtruroyaltyx

OB should've known better. I said in the pre season that Savage was getting the ball out slow even against vanilla defense. I said once the regular season started and Savage couldn't go to his first read it would be ugly because he's not the guy you want behind this Oline. Even with slight improvement on the Oline Savage still is like Herman Munster in the pocket. He's too slow to process and react.

Add in a bad Oline and you get the disaster you saw today.

I never got the Savage love though. I never would've even drafted the guy but that aside, if this guy had spent his career on any other team besides the Texans, who in their right mind would be thinking "ya know who we should bring in this off season to start and lead our team....Tom Savage!!!"

I'm not even sold on Watson, but I think he's better than Savage. I don't put any stock in Savage having more tenure in this system because the system is **** and the Oline is not going to allow him to sit back and slowly process everything like he wants to do.

The Texans as per usual dropped the ball in many places.

bah007, deucetx, thunderkyss and 5 others like this.
  13. TejasTom

TejasTom Site Contributor

Can we just forfeit and not accumulate more injuries?

Wolf6151 likes this.
  14. Thorn

Thorn Dirty Old Man

As if it really matters.

15. Lucky

Lucky Moderator

Slower than Osweiler. Reminds one of a older, beatup David Carr. Except Savage hasn't played enough to be that punch drunk.

16. Norg

Norg -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

well... I would Pay Brown and then give savage one more shot ....that's what I would do Watson will get his time its a long season IMO

thunderkyss likes this.
  17. Thorsson

Thorsson Veteran

What kind of question is that? Brandon Weeden, of course!

thunderkyss and xtruroyaltyx like this.
  18. Speedy

Speedy Yeller Dweller

Is it?

19. xtruroyaltyx

Y'all realize that Watson threw his first regular season TD pass before Savage did.

Let that sink in.

Better yet, every other shitty qb that's been on this roster including such greats as Keenum and Weeden have managed to look better and throw TD passes under OB.

deucetx, thunderkyss and santo like this.
  20. Thorsson

Thorsson Veteran

What I don't understand is why was the starting job just given to Savage? He didn't earn it; there was no QB competition!