Who should make the team and why?

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by Dime, Aug 20, 2005.

1. Dime

Dime Hall of Fame

We are getting to cut time.

Who stays and who goes..

Let say we only get to keep 5 WR's and 6 LB's

Who goes and who stays.. your oponion

2. dalemurphy

dalemurphy Hall of Fame

WRs- AJ, Mathis, Gaffney, Alexander, SThomas, Starling... It has to be 6 this year! I think Bradford is gone because of all the talented depth. Starling is too good on STeams and has too much potential to be cut. And, I just have a feeling about SThomas.

LBs- Peek, Babin, Wong, Greenwood, CAnderson, SOrr, Pettway, Evans... it has to be 7 or 8. Orr and Anderson are too value in STeams and both have shown big play ability in game situations.

CUT- T Hollings- doesn't run strong and we have depth there. Morency has a ton of ability and Wells is very servicable as well as being cheaper and better on STeams.

3. Dime

Dime Hall of Fame

Rofl... No.. they question is 5 WR and 6 LB's which is probably what they will HAVE to come down to unless they release depth elsewhere..

Assuming that is the cut.. who do you have to cut, but dont wanna..

4. Grid

Grid Hall of Fame

I dont see us keeping only 6 LBs in a 3-4 defense. that is two starters and one backup at each position. Gotta take 8 LBs imo.

as for 5 WRs.. with our depth there..and need for a return guy.. I see us splurging and taking 6 WRs.. and making wells our second string fullback, and releasing Baxter, to make room.

WR: Johnson, Bradford, Amrstrong, Gaffney, Swinton, Mathis
    LB: Peek, Babin, Greenwood, Wong, Anderson, Polk, Orr, Pettway

5. dalemurphy

dalemurphy Hall of Fame

okay, okay... I'd cut SThomas and go with AJ, Gaffney, Armstrong, Mathis, Starling.

However, I don't think they could ever only keep 6 LBs in a 3-4. but, it's your thread: Greenwood, Wong, Peek, Babin, CAnderson, Polk

6. V Man

V Man Pumpkinhead

WR- Who is Alexander, I'm guessing you mean Armstrong. Agree with your list and add Swinton, since Starling will be more of a ST than a WR (maybe they should work him at DB like Brown for New England last year).

LB- You forgot Moreno (he will make the team), don't know about Pettway, and if Evans plays like tonight again, Chamberlin will take his spot.

As for T. Hollings I think you hit the nail right on the head.

7. dalemurphy

dalemurphy Hall of Fame

Derrick Alexander had some good years with KC, though. Sorry, I meant Armstrong.

8. ATX

ATX Hall of Fame

I think Swinton made the team tonight. Morrency replaced Hollings and might have replaced Wells as DD's backup. Hollings has 2 games to show his stuff, or he's gonna be gone. I think Anderson solidified his spot as backup OLB.

9. Marcus

Marcus Ruthless pragmatist

For the receivers:

I thought it would be easy to name the 5, but then Sloan Thomas has to go play like a veteran, doesn't he?

Ah well. I'd keep AJ, Bradford, Gaffney, Armstrong, and Mathis.

Linebackers:

Wong, Peek, Greenwood, Babin, Anderson, and . . . . . . Pettway.

10. Dime

Dime Hall of Fame

I am hoping/praying like you both said we have 7 or 8 LB's and 6 WR, but you cant ever tell.. I hope you are right..

Now.. my quick question.

Can you see us with our depth at WR putting Mathis (the only WR allowed on the PS) on the practice squad. I only say this because of the depth we have there and a year of practice would help him. If there is ANY way another team can sign him (i dont know the rules of the PS), there is NO way we would/should do it. Just wondering. I ONLY say this because of our depth here..

11. texasguy346

texasguy346 Mod Squad

In order to be put on the PS I think Mathis would have to clear waivers first. Another team can sign him, but I believe he has to be on their active roster. I think Mathis makes the cut.

12. vtech9

vtech9 Hall of Fame

There were 6 WR's on the roster last year, and there will be at least that many this year. Saying that, my 6 are; AJ, Bradford, Gaffney, Armstrong, Starling, and Mathis.

If we only kept 6 LB's, that would be 2 backups for 4 positions...not gonna happen. Wong, Peek, Greenwood, and Babin are locks unless something drastic happens. If there were only 2 backups for those 4 positions, IMHO, one of them would have to be Shantee Orr since he can play both ILB and OLB. The last one would have to be someone that could fill in either position also. I don't see Charlie Anderson not making the team, as well as a few others, so I don't see any way that we only keep 6 LB's.

13. V Man

V Man Pumpkinhead

Like they said on the air tonight, a couple of WR's that we cut could and probably will wind up playing for someone else. It is going to be a tough desicion, I hope they make the right ones (sure would hate to see Thomas burn us in years to come if he is the one cut).

14. beerlover

beerlover Site Contributor

WR- Andre Johnson, Jabar Gaffney, Corey Bradford, Reggie Swinton & Jerome Mathis. there could be one more between Kendrick Starling, Sloan Thomas and Derick Armstrong too early to tell :rolleyes:

LB- Jason Babin, Kailee Wong, Morlon Greenwood, Antwan Peek, Charlie Anderson, Shantee Orr. after that its a dog fight for the last two openings between DaShon Polk, Quincy Monk, Frank Chamberlin & Troy Evans. looks like Pettway goes practice squad, but I need to see more of him :tv:

15. Dime

Dime Hall of Fame

He was the one who put the thought into my brain, true enough. Only rookies to the team are allowed this right?

16. texansfan1974

texansfan1974 Veteran

My picks for WR are (AJ of course, Gaff, bradford, Armsrtong, Swinton, and Mathis

The LBs should be (Wong, Greenwood, Badin, Peek, Anderson, Evans,)

RBS (DD, Vern, Wells)

Say goodbye to Hollings, Starling,
    and regretfully to Slone Thomas and Kasper The Friendly Receiver

17. southtexan

southtexan Veteran

If we put Mathis on the PS another team will pick him up quicker than a heartbeat.

18. Dime

Dime Hall of Fame

My vote is for:
    WR: AJ, Mathis, Swinton, Thomas, Armstrong (if we kept 6, it would be Kasper)
    LB: Wong, Greenwood, Babin, Peek, Anderson, Orr

19. texansfan88

texansfan88 All Pro

You cannot be serious releasing Gaffney and Bradford, can you?

20. Haams

Haams All Pro

As of now- I go AJ, Bradford, Gaffney, Swinton, Mathis, and I take Sloan.