Who rises up draft boards most based off combine performance?

Discussion in 'College Football & the NFL Draft' started by beerlover, Feb 20, 2009.

1. beerlover

beerlover Site Contributor

would like a positive thread on athlete most likely to surprise on the up side, who is your pre-combine pick that comes in best prepared to impress scouts & NFL teams? defensive/offensive, small school/big school, coming off season ending injury/workout warrior-

Texans have eyes on several who's stock is climbing like DE Robert Ayers (#35) was a 2nd/3rd before Senior Bowl now looking to sneak into the 1st rd. Jarron Gilbert (#59) DE who shined here in Houston @ the east-west Shrine game in front of Texans Kubiak/Smith/Bush he was a 3rd/4th rd grade elevated based on that performance somewhere in 2nd, now with a solid combine could he get into the 1st? But you know me, proverbial stick in the mud, keep it real & consistant with my man Louis Delmas (#64) who flashed NFL FS @ Senior Bowl yet maintains a 2nd/3rd rd. grade? Now he shows why he should be rated as the #1 safety prospect in this class, that usually translates into someones 1st rd. pick.

So to illustrate example (based off NFLSCOUT. COM ratings) for the Texans to select Robert Ayers w/#15th pick his stock elevates up draft board 20 spots, Gilbert 44 spots & Delams 49. Ayers would likely fit a trade down scenero while Gilbert/Delams could be gone by 2nd rd. selection.

Here are a couple examples from the 08 draft-

Joe Flacco #39 drafted 18th +21 (built upon Senior bowl work)
    Dustin Keller #45 drafted 30th +15 (blew everyone away @ combine)
    Sam Baker #40 drafted 21st +19 (improved stock from Senior Bowl in workouts)
    Chris Johnson, RB could not find his ranking before combine but you know before he blistered the 40 setting all time record 4.24 his stock really ascended post combine.

have fun :)

2. Specnatz

Specnatz Site Contributor

I think Delmas well shoot up the board more than he already has.

3. BigBull17

BigBull17 Hall of Fame

4. Errant Hothy

Errant Hothy Hypermediocrity

Delmas and Matthews.

5. WolverineFan

WolverineFan Hall of Fame

Orakpo and Johnson are the two guys that first come to mind. They are both freakish athletes the only difference is one has his head on straight while the other does not.

6. HOU-TEX

HOU-TEX Ah, Football!

He might not climb into the 1st round, but this dude was a beast before he tore his ACL. Fast as hell for a TE.

Cornelius Ingram TE out of Florida

7. Ole Miss Texan

Ole Miss Texan Hall of Fame

I doubt it's because of the combine but I think Clay Matthews will sneak into the 20-35 pick range. I see a lot of mocks that still have him as a 3rd/4th rounder.

I could see one of the CBs or maybe Patrick Chung skyrocketing to mid-1st rd range. Say around our selection... MAYBe.

8. beerlover

beerlover Site Contributor

this one is in the books. played in Texas vs. Nation. he is a RB 5-11 199 from a small school in Texas Abilene Christian, currently ranked #331. he is gonna bust it in the 40 with one of the combine fastest times. I could see him easily moving up 100+ spots, can you guess his name? :specnatz:

9. Wolf6151

Wolf6151 Hall of Fame

I have no for an answer to Beerlover, but I predict that Patrick Chung will have a great combine and move into the mid 1st round. Strong possibility that the Texans could take him at #15.

10. Ole Miss Texan

Ole Miss Texan Hall of Fame

Bernard Scott? Could actually be a pretty good fit on this offense. Not the pounder we need but if he's there in the late round he's a guy that might take moats place as Slaton's backup

11. Blake

Blake MMQB

Orakpo. He will blow people away at the combine. KC will have a hard time not picking him if Curry is gone.

12. threetoedpete

threetoedpete Hall of Fame

Jarron Gilbert. Classic 3-4 end if he can get under five flat.

Another vote for Micheal Johnson. I'm sure his numbers will be unreal. Freakishly unreal. Buyer beware. I'm hoping that's not who John McClain is hinting at for a drop back and draft RDE.

Beatty, the Uconn OLT gained fifteen pounds since the senior bowl week. He runs a good forty with a nice ten and twenty yard split, the kid will make himself some money. Saw where he didn't lift very well. Neither did Petigrew. I thought Petigrew would be in the upper twneties. Not stuggeling to hit twenty three.

Does anyone think it was a coincidence that a lot of the o-lineman came in at exactly 309 ?
    Part of the problem with the combine now is all of these guys are getting coached up in combine 101
    by the sports preformance gurus. Hard to find their blemishes to separate them.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2009
  13. jgl35

jgl35 Site Contributor

Bernard Scott

14. was385

was385 Rookie

Gotta plug my guy from UCONN here. Darius Butler. Coming off an injury during his senior season, he said he expects to run a high-4.2 or low-4.3 40 and jump in the mid-40's. He seems to be going in the third generally in most mocks but I think his stock could really skyrocket.

15. bah007

bah007 Hall of Fame

I have him as my #5 CB and #40 overall.

16. threetoedpete

threetoedpete Hall of Fame

http://blogs.chron.com/nfl/

I can't believe they're going to do this. No John. Looks like tarzan. Plays like Jane. I don't care what his numbers are.

Mayock's top twenty has Ayers at fourteen.Check that...Ayers at 12, Raji at 14.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2009
  17. eriadoc

eriadoc Texan-American

Clay Matthews? As in .... related to Clay and Bruce Matthews?

Jeez, I feel old.

18. BattleRedToro

BattleRedToro Thread Killer

I don't think that Johnson's numbers or play last year were as bad as people make them out to be.

Could his play have been better? Sure.

Was he terrible? No.

In addition, if my memory is correct he wasn't a starter until his senoir season, that makes me think he is still learning the position.

I believe that is also evidenced in his level of play.

Many have cited his quitting on plays as evidence of a lack of heart or desire or that he is a lazy player.

I believe it shows a lack of discipline and nothing else.

Discipline can and will be coached at the next level just as it was with Mario, for he had his on share of problems with discipline.

I'm talking strictly on-the-field here, Michael Johnson doesn't have any off-the-field discipline problems that I have ever heard about.

He is an intelligent high character player.

19. The1ApplePie

The1ApplePie Hall of Fame

Hopefully Michael Johnson will jump up the board at let better players fall to us

20. gtexan02

gtexan02 Working?

Great numbers for Jared Cook.
    4.5 40, 41" vertical, tops in vertical. Not bad a day for the TE