Who is Rocky Bernard?? Who? Rocky Bernard!!!

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by tacoman_j, Mar 5, 2005.

1. tacoman_j

tacoman_j Veteran

2. TexSon

TexSon Hall of Fame

It's this guy.
    He's 6'3" 293 lbs... sounds like a DE for us. He had 4 sacks and 39 tackles in 14 games last year. He also is only 25 yrs old. Sounds intriguing as quality rotation.

3. Vinny

Vinny shiny happy fan Staff Member

They say he is from Baytown. Someone around here knows him.

4. Alex

Alex Rookie

Rocky Bernard is a defensive tackle and a former Aggies (Texas A&M). He played the last four years with the Seahawks. Last year in 14 games he collected 39 tackles and 3.5 sacks.

If the Texans sign him, Seattle have one week to match offer and if they don't Houston must give to the Seahawks a 5th round pick.

5. pskinny

pskinny Veteran

Didn't know him personally, but I remember when he got injured his junior season. There was speculation whether he'd be back the next year. That summer my roomates and I threw this party at our house. That night, I see Rocky Bernard sitting at my kitchen table, I remember talking with him about whether he was going to be able to play the upcoming season or not. Nice guy, seemed a bit shy. I didn't want to bug him too much. Anyways, he played the next year, got drafted, and now he's in the NFL and our party got busted before 1:00 am! Damn....

Nice young player, had a good rookie year, besides, walker, payne, and smith, he's better than any one else we have on the DL.

6. JDizzle

JDizzle I'm a dude

I went to high school with Rocky. Actually, I played behind him as a DT and I think we had an english class together lol. Of course I hardly ever played. He's quick for a big guy, he'd be a good fit for defensive end in our system. I have been saying for the past couple of years he gets absolutely no love in seattle, even though Holmgren initially really liked him coming out of A&M. I always thought he'd be a great fit for DE here, but never gave it much thought. That would be nice, though, if he ended up back at home.

7. F-minus67

F-minus67 Hall of Fame

Sounds like a good fit for us, beside greenwood and this guy have anyone else visited the texans this off season?

8. LikeABoss

LikeABoss All Pro

This would be a very good acquisition IMO, and we wouldn't have to draft a D-lineman in the first round out of need even though the Texans plan on drafting the BPA.

9. scourge

scourge Digression King

Rocky and I went to the same high school... only ran into each other a few times, dont know him personally. I did catch all of his games, though. I think he'd be a good pickup, even if he was just here to improve depth. Moving to DE in a 3-4 may help him blossum as a player. Apparently, JackDizzle and I also went to Sterling together.

10. TexansTrueFan

TexansTrueFan Hall of Fame

sounds like he could be a good pick up, to bad we signed walker to a fat contract, and we got R. Smith who will only get better in our system, well having depth will help though !

11. Rovator

Rovator Veteran

Another positive is he has 3-4 experience playing in college.

12. keyfro

keyfro Hall of Fame

when you look at our backup lineman which includes sears, ioane, and deloach if he re-signs it would make since to atleast spend the 5th round pick on this guy...he'll obviously be better than anyone we could get in the 5th round...plus he would be a quality rotational guy

13. Cashmoney

Cashmoney Rookie

Rocky played DE in the 3-4 at Texas A&M. He tore his ACL at the begining of his senior year. He came back the next year and had a dominate senior year. He would be a nice fit for the Texans. He must have gotten in the dog house in Seattle because during his rookie year he tore it up. Haven't heard much from him since. He played Dt for for Seattle in the 4-3.

14. Chawky1

Chawky1 Veteran

I'm rather indifferent on Rocky....if we (seahawks) keep him, he is our 4th DT, and being a fourth DT on the Seahawks with a bad DL isn't saying much. Were some of you saying DE, he plays DT not DE. He has shown flashes of promise, but no consistency. Either way the Seahawks win....keep him and we have young veteran depth, lose him we get an extra draft pick to fill more pressing holes. Keep in mind he cannot beat out Marcus Tubbs, Cedric Woodard, or Rashad Moore. He had a decent second half of a rookie season with the Seahawks, then pretty much took a big dump since.

15. ArlingtonTexan

ArlingtonTexan Moderator Staff Member

In the Texans system from what we can tell, he would be a DE. 4-3 DT= 3-4 DLman.

16. LikeABoss

LikeABoss All Pro

We (Texans) believe almost anybody would be an improvement over the old, injured, and overpaid Gary Walker. So it would still be a win for the Texans also :)

17. Dionysus22

Dionysus22 Veteran

When did he play at Sterling? I played at Elkins and I remember stomping Sterling pretty bad my senior year.

18. Chawky1

Chawky1 Veteran

Good point, my bad, he is wayyyyy too small to be a 3-4 NT.

19. scourge

scourge Digression King

If I remember correctly, he graduated a year after I did, maybe two... which would make him class of '97 or possibly '98

20. TexanFanInCC

TexanFanInCC Hall of Fame

i dont think our d-line did much of anything last yr. granted seth payne was stilrecovering from the acl injury. gary walker was virtually nonexistant, and robaire smith didnt make enough big plays to be noticed either. the problem i see is, gary walker is aging quickly and has a big contract on his head, so it is virtually impossible to put him on second string. seth payne got a big contract and will likely start at NT, and robaire....well, hes going to be a starter too. there is no place for rocky other than second string....but i would like to see us upgrade the speed at the d-line somehow. that is probably our weakness in the pass-rushing department. theres nobody with enough speed up front to cause enough havok to allow the OLB's to get to the QB easier.