Who is Dexter McCleon?

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by Texans34Life, Jul 29, 2006.

1. Texans34Life

Texans34Life I BLEED TEXANS!

Never heard of the guy. Is he going to help out the secondary?

2. CloakNNNdagger

CloakNNNdagger Site Contributor

A veteran CB who was originally drafted by the Rams, was with them for several years including their Super Bowl year. As a free agent, he was picked up by KC and started for them for 2 years and last year was mostly used a nickel.

3. TexanFan881

TexanFan881 Hall of Fame

Yup he was a pretty solid #2 for the Chiefs for awhile until Patrick Surtain came in last year but you couldn't really expect him to beat Surtain out. I think he will be a solid player to fill in for Faggins while he is out.

4. TexanSam

TexanSam Hall of Fame

My question is whether we were going to sign the guy in the first place. It seems like right as soon as Faggins got hurt, we sign McCleon. As fast as it happened, I think the Texans were planning on adding him even before the injury.

5. Texans34Life

What took us so long to sign this guy if we have a depleted secondary?

6. quicksilver

quicksilver Overweight

He's lost a step from the days of his peak performance.

7. Texans34Life

Looks like Dexter ain't going to be the only one competing for that CB job w/ P-Burnt:

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/4081063.html

8. Numbskull

Numbskull Rookie

McCleon has had his best years with the terrible defenses in St. Louis and in KC. He was the 3rd-4th CB at each stop. He's no one to get excited about getting playing time and I'd definately be hoping that someone steps up and beats him out for the spot or we're looking at a mediocre player stepping onto the field at a crucial position.

9. TwinSisters

TwinSisters Hall of Fame

He's a talker though. Lot's of attitude. That will help. He was a Vermeil guy, so Bob should be familiar with him too.

10. CoachJim

CoachJim Veteran

Just an educated guess but I'd bet PBuc takes the 2 & McCleon goes to the nickle position ... or maybe I just stated the obvious.

11. AFD1717

AFD1717 Veteran

Seems to me that McCleon is a "Rudy" type. Good instincts, effort, and understanding of the game but not a whole lot of ability. He was able to get it done for a while, but he's lost a step when he didn't really have a step to lose. I like the signing simply because of what is available and you can never have enough guys with good attitudes. Hopefully P-Buc will come to Jesus and we don't have to lean on McCleon too much.

12. MorKnolle

MorKnolle Hall of Fame

McCleon had a couple pretty productive years to for the Rams, and contrary to popular belief the Rams had good defenses for a couple years in there.

13. BigDTexansFan

BigDTexansFan All Pro

we don't have a depleted secondary, we have a young inexperienced secondary. Kubiak wants to make sure if one of our starters goes down we have a solid backup for nickel packages, which is what occurred with Petey..now we need to make sure have another backup veteran CB. PBuch will start now and McCleon will come in on nickel packages

14. If I remember right wasn't it McCleon that nabbed a pass to AJ when we played KC? It was a one on one coverage and McClean just outjumped AJ to get the ball.

15. TexansSeminole

TexansSeminole Hall of Fame

Dexter McCleon used to be the man. When he was with the Rams he played well even at a older age. I will be our Deion Sanders of the Ravens defense. Old guy though. Smart guy who can teach these younger guys, D-Rob (24), P-Buch (26) some things. We still need a more athletic CB, I dont think McKenzie is going to cut it.

16. Chance_C

Chance_C Site Contributor

I think you're right...